Velocity Reviews

-   -   More RAM = Less CPU strain ?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t401509-more-ram-less-cpu-strain.html)

Daniel 07-09-2005 01:18 AM

More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

Let's say I have Windows 98SE at 64mb ram and 800 PIII and I increase
the RAM to 512MB. Would this have a positive effect on the CPU ?

Thank you,

Daniel

pcbutts1 07-09-2005 01:22 AM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

Daniel <sivlee@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Let's say I have Windows 98SE at 64mb ram and 800 PIII and I increase
> the RAM to 512MB.

Me too! Why, it was only yesterday that I had windows 98se at 64mb ram.

> Would this have a positive effect on the CPU?

Have a positive effect on the cpu? That's a joke right?

> Thank you, Daniel.

You can repay me by sucking my cock.

Daniel 07-09-2005 01:28 AM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

No that's not a joke. I gave this as an example (tho extreme). Sorry if
I seem a total newbie and perhaps asked the "wrong" question here.

chilimac@bellsouth.net 07-09-2005 01:30 AM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

Your processor first goes to L1 Cache, then to L2 Cache, then to ram
and finally to your hard drive when it is looking for information.

If you only have 64 meg of ram, your processor is forced to go to a
major bottleneck, the hard drive more often.

Having more ram would free up your processor to perform other
operations. More ram will have a positive effect on your entire
computer.

chilimac

Daniel 07-09-2005 01:31 AM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

Thank you for your answer. So if I have very little ram (as per my
example) then it would make sense that the cpu may be working at near
maximum all the time but when ram is increased substantially then the
workload on the cpu (and on the system in general) is lessened ... Am I
correct ?

Plato 07-09-2005 07:31 AM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

Daniel wrote:

> Let's say I have Windows 98SE at 64mb ram and 800 PIII and I increase
> the RAM to 512MB. Would this have a positive effect on the CPU ?

Yes. For SE 128 is really the minimum as SE uses more than 64 just to
bootup.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Daniel 07-10-2005 02:25 AM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

Ok, thank you so much for the replies.

Drifter 07-10-2005 02:54 AM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

On 8 Jul 2005 18:31:45 -0700, "Daniel" <sivlee@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your answer. So if I have very little ram (as per my
>example) then it would make sense that the cpu may be working at near
>maximum all the time but when ram is increased substantially then the
>workload on the cpu (and on the system in general) is lessened ... Am I
>correct ?

No, what is happening is that your CPU is waiting a lot for the Hard
drive to finish reading/writing virtual memory.
Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Daniel 07-12-2005 08:42 AM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

Alright, thank you again.

Donald McTrevor 07-18-2005 08:56 PM

Re: More RAM = Less CPU strain ??

"Daniel" <sivlee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1120871918.510671.199740@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Let's say I have Windows 98SE at 64mb ram and 800 PIII and I increase
> the RAM to 512MB. Would this have a positive effect on the CPU ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel

You are really asking the wrong question, what you want to
know is whether adding ram will speed up whatever your PC
is doing.
They answers is YES!!! AND NO!!

It depends you see, if you system is 'disc bound' ie it
dos not have enough fre memory to do its jobs and
constantly had to access the hard drive for 'virtual memory'
then it should show quite a dramatic improvement.

However if your PC is not disc bound it will make
"bugger all" diference.
The more things you run at once the more likely
it will become diskbound. However people usually
only run one application at a time (usually).

For example my old CPU struggles to play some
modern video ( .wmv) as it is just not up to the job.
No ammount of extra memory is likely to help (I think).
I very much doubt it is disk bound as I would hear
my very noisy drives crunchinig away if it was.
(or drive light flashing).

The PC which I will be buyiiiig this week (Athlon 64 3200)will
have a CPU about 20 times faster than wot I
have now (Cyrix MII).