Velocity Reviews

-   -   Roaming Problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4013-roaming-problems.html)

RogerC 07-17-2004 12:43 AM

Roaming Problems

Hi,
We have 4 access points in our offices. All with the same SSID but different
channels.
We have laptops using XP SP1 with all the patches.
When the AP's were first set up using WEP, users could move about and
reconnect to another access point successfully.
Now we have configured 802.1x authentication (PEAP) with Server 2003 and
IAS. Now a user can authenticate on one access point but most times cannot
roam to a different one. You can be sat right under the AP but the laptop
will still remain connected to the weak signal from the AP he first
connected to.
What should initiate the handover? Is there anyway to set a threshold to
force this?
Thanks,
RogerC

TheBadEye 11-01-2006 06:38 PM

Generally speaking, 802.1x supplicants (that’s the piece of configuration software on the PC) using WPA and WPA2 will have a slider or switch allowing you to mark the “Roaming Aggressiveness” The more aggressive the more quickly it will attempt to jump between one AP and the other. Too aggressive and you will create a “ping pong” effect.

Another thing to look for is the AP units and its governing switch’s roaming policy. It must be set up to make people roam and it must be told to not attempt to (power up) if someone walks away from the AP, instead force the system to make them roam.