Velocity Reviews

-   -   Which External Hard Drive??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t401101-which-external-hard-drive.html)

John R. Pickett 05-16-2005 06:02 PM

Which External Hard Drive???

I am searching for a reliable external hard drive for my Dell PC, OS 98se.
I did not know that so many brands existed. I am considering:
1. Toshiba
2. Iomega
3. LaCie
4. Seagate
5. Western Digital
6. Maxtor
7. Iogear
8. Fantom
I have researched most of them and, of course, their advertising claims
promises fantastic results. I need one in the 200 to 300-gig range. What
would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Wizard 05-16-2005 08:35 PM

Re: Which External Hard Drive???

Maxtor is the ONLY option as far as I am concern.

Brian Wescombe 05-16-2005 08:59 PM

"Wizard" <stop.spam@net.ai> wrote in message
> Maxtor is the ONLY option as far as I am concern.

I quite fancy a 250GB Iomega Firewire 800/1394b drive myself! Can't afford
one though :-(

Mark Mandell 05-17-2005 02:52 AM

"John R. Pickett" <jrpickett@cp-tel.net> wrote in message
>I am searching for a reliable external hard drive for my Dell PC, OS 98se.
> I did not know that so many brands existed. I am considering:
> 1. Toshiba
> 2. Iomega
> 3. LaCie
> 4. Seagate
> 5. Western Digital
> 6. Maxtor
> 7. Iogear
> 8. Fantom
> I have researched most of them and, of course, their advertising claims
> promises fantastic results. I need one in the 200 to 300-gig range. What
> would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I like(or have had good experience with)the Seagate and Western Digital.

Dan Jensen 05-20-2005 06:29 AM

Re: Which External Hard Drive???

When deciding, I asked a guy that worked at a Circuit City which ones they
see come back. He indicated that they have unreal amount of Iomega that get
brought back due to problems. He said that they did not see many of the
Western Digital or Maxtor come back with problems. I then asked a number of
people and decided to go with USB 2.0 Western Digital. I liked my first so
much that I now have 4 (3 80 GB and 250 GB ). My oldest is 2 years and
newest is couple of months. All have worked with no problems.

Ron Smith 05-20-2005 04:11 PM

Re: Which External Hard Drive???

Go with Western Digital in a SATA drive fire wire sux compaired to that and
its just 2 dang expsensive

Berty 05-20-2005 05:49 PM

Re: Which External Hard Drive???

Just be careful with WD SATA as I bought one and than learn that it was
not "true SATA" but rather an IDE with adapter to it can be
connected to the SATA bus but the HD itself is not.

Despite the above I have two 160G one IDE and one "SATA" and both
work just fine.

Have fun.