Velocity Reviews

-   -   What do you think about this system and the price (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t401032-what-do-you-think-about-this-system-and-the-price.html)

Era 05-10-2005 11:05 PM

What do you think about this system and the price

Is the specs for my new computer "reasonable" taking the price into
account? I will not be using it to play games, but will do some video
editing and rendering. I also will need to add more memory to this quote
as well.

Thanks

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 530 CPU (775 800MHz . 1M Cache)
Asrock 775I65GV Motherboard

160GB SATA Seagate HDD
2x256MB PC3200 DDRAM

16x52x32x52 LG DVD-CDWR Combo Drive
400W ATX Case
P/S 2 Keyboard & Wheel Mouse

17 Direction LCD Monitor

Total is 1250 Inc GST

Oldus Fartus 05-10-2005 11:25 PM

Re: What do you think about this system and the price

Era wrote:
> Is the specs for my new computer "reasonable" taking the price into
> account? I will not be using it to play games, but will do some video
> editing and rendering. I also will need to add more memory to this quote
> as well.
>
> Thanks
>

> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 530 CPU (775 800MHz . 1M Cache)
> Asrock 775I65GV Motherboard
>
> 160GB SATA Seagate HDD
> 2x256MB PC3200 DDRAM
>
> 16x52x32x52 LG DVD-CDWR Combo Drive
> 400W ATX Case
> P/S 2 Keyboard & Wheel Mouse
>
> 17 Direction LCD Monitor
>

> Total is 1250 Inc GST

I would at least double the RAM, and note that you have not included a
DVD RW.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Rod Speed 05-11-2005 12:26 AM

Era <era@nomail.none> wrote in message

> Is the specs for my new computer "reasonable" taking the price into account? I
> will not be using it to play games, but will do some video editing and
> rendering. I also will need to add more memory to this quote as well.

> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 530 CPU (775 800MHz . 1M Cache)
> Asrock 775I65GV Motherboard

> 160GB SATA Seagate HDD

That might be a bit small if the video files are on the large side.

> 2x256MB PC3200 DDRAM

> 16x52x32x52 LG DVD-CDWR Combo Drive

I'd get a Pioneer 109 DVD burner instead.

Dirty Sanchez 05-11-2005 12:38 AM

Era wrote:
> Is the specs for my new computer "reasonable" taking the price into
> account? I will not be using it to play games, but will do some video
> editing and rendering. I also will need to add more memory to this quote
> as well.
>
> Thanks
>

> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 530 CPU (775 800MHz . 1M Cache)
> Asrock 775I65GV Motherboard
>
> 160GB SATA Seagate HDD
> 2x256MB PC3200 DDRAM
>
> 16x52x32x52 LG DVD-CDWR Combo Drive
> 400W ATX Case
> P/S 2 Keyboard & Wheel Mouse
>
> 17 Direction LCD Monitor
>

> Total is 1250 Inc GST

Depends on how serious you are about your video editing.

For starters, that MB is crap. I'd never even heard of Asrock before
your post. Have a look at the conclusion in this review.
<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=70&num=5>
I've always used ASUS and Abit MB's without a problem.

As you said, you'll need more RAM. I'd go for 1GB minimum for videos.

A decent video card is important for video editing. Integrated video
will not do the trick. If you're just after video editing for home
movies and things, a simple $150 - $200 AGP card will be fine.

Have a look at the Dell Factory outlet website. Dell's service and
support is far better than you'll get at any corner PC shop, and their
factory outlet makes Dell's prices reasonable for home buyers. Go to
www.dell.com.au, click on "Dell Factory Outlet" underneath service and
support, then click on Dimension or Optiplex to view the desktops they
have on offer.

One they have on sale at the moment is a Dimension 8400, P4 640 (3.2Ghz
2MB Cache), Windows XP Pro, 1GB Ram, 160GB SATA, 16X DVD/RW, GB LAN,
128MB PCIe Radeon x300 (nothing flash, but far better than integrated
video), Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, Wireless KB and Mouse, 1yr warranty
for $1673.

DS.

Oldus Fartus 05-11-2005 01:44 AM

Dirty Sanchez wrote:
> Era wrote:
>
>> Is the specs for my new computer "reasonable" taking the price into
>> account? I will not be using it to play games, but will do some video
>> editing and rendering. I also will need to add more memory to this
>> quote as well.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 530 CPU (775 800MHz . 1M Cache)
>> Asrock 775I65GV Motherboard
>>
>> 160GB SATA Seagate HDD
>> 2x256MB PC3200 DDRAM
>>
>> 16x52x32x52 LG DVD-CDWR Combo Drive
>> 400W ATX Case
>> P/S 2 Keyboard & Wheel Mouse
>>
>> 17 Direction LCD Monitor
>>

>> Total is 1250 Inc GST

> Depends on how serious you are about your video editing.
>
> For starters, that MB is crap. I'd never even heard of Asrock before
> your post. Have a look at the conclusion in this review.
> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=70&num=5>
> I've always used ASUS and Abit MB's without a problem.

You must have been living under a rock. (No pun intended.) The Asrock
is well known as a good (but not outstanding) motherboard at a
reasonable price.

> As you said, you'll need more RAM. I'd go for 1GB minimum for videos.

Agreed.

> A decent video card is important for video editing. Integrated video
> will not do the trick. If you're just after video editing for home
> movies and things, a simple $150 - $200 AGP card will be fine.

On the contrary, onboard video will do fine for this task. How about
explaining how a good AGP or PCIE video card improves performance when
rendering or encoding of video?

> Have a look at the Dell Factory outlet website. Dell's service and
> support is far better than you'll get at any corner PC shop, and their
> factory outlet makes Dell's prices reasonable for home buyers. Go to
> www.dell.com.au, click on "Dell Factory Outlet" underneath service and
> support, then click on Dimension or Optiplex to view the desktops they
> have on offer.
>
> One they have on sale at the moment is a Dimension 8400, P4 640 (3.2Ghz
> 2MB Cache), Windows XP Pro, 1GB Ram, 160GB SATA, 16X DVD/RW, GB LAN,
> 128MB PCIe Radeon x300 (nothing flash, but far better than integrated
> video), Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, Wireless KB and Mouse, 1yr warranty
> for $1673.

You are joking aren't you? Dell's service and support is nowhere near
as good as that you will get from your local store.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Rod Speed 05-11-2005 03:34 AM

Re: What do you think about this system and the price

Dirty Sanchez <DS@nospam.com.au> wrote in
message news:42815455@mail.netspeed.com.au...
> Era wrote:
>> Is the specs for my new computer "reasonable" taking the price into account?
>> I will not be using it to play games, but will do some video editing and
>> rendering. I also will need to add more memory to this quote as well.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 530 CPU (775 800MHz . 1M Cache)
>> Asrock 775I65GV Motherboard
>>
>> 160GB SATA Seagate HDD
>> 2x256MB PC3200 DDRAM
>>
>> 16x52x32x52 LG DVD-CDWR Combo Drive
>> 400W ATX Case
>> P/S 2 Keyboard & Wheel Mouse
>>
>> 17 Direction LCD Monitor
>>

>> Total is 1250 Inc GST

> Depends on how serious you are about your video editing.

> For starters, that MB is crap. I'd never even heard of Asrock before your
> post.

Then you dont have much of a clue.

> Have a look at the conclusion in this review.
> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=70&num=5>
> I've always used ASUS and Abit MB's without a problem.

> As you said, you'll need more RAM. I'd go for 1GB minimum for videos.

> A decent video card is important for video editing. Integrated video will not
> do the trick.

Depends entirely on what the video editing involves.

If you're just cutting out the superfluous crap you dont
want and transcoding the format, that is just plain wrong.

> If you're just after video editing for home movies and things, a simple $150 -
> $200 AGP card will be fine.

And so will integrated video too.

> Have a look at the Dell Factory outlet website. Dell's service and support is
> far better than you'll get at any corner PC shop, and their factory outlet
> makes Dell's prices reasonable for home buyers. Go to www.dell.com.au, click
> on "Dell Factory Outlet" underneath service and support, then click on
> Dimension or Optiplex to view the desktops they have on offer.

> One they have on sale at the moment is a Dimension 8400, P4 640 (3.2Ghz 2MB
> Cache), Windows XP Pro, 1GB Ram, 160GB SATA, 16X DVD/RW, GB LAN, 128MB PCIe
> Radeon x300 (nothing flash, but far better than integrated video),
> Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, Wireless KB and Mouse, 1yr warranty for $1673.

The extra price isnt necessarily worth much for his use.

ZionIFL 05-11-2005 04:38 AM

Re: What do you think about this system and the price

Era,

As others and yourself have mentioned - more RAM is one a major key for
video editing/rendering - 1GB minimum.

I think you only have a CD writer there and not a DVD burner. Look for a
dual layer burner to make the most of 8GB discs dropping in price (the size
is good for maintaining better video quality too on your final output).

I guess it all depends on what kind of video editing you will be doing? Home
videos, weddings etc? If its home video - then I think the system you have
configured now will definatley do the trick. I edited a wedding that took me
a week using Adobe Premiere on a similar config (slower P4 CPU however), and
it was fine! My only gripe at the time was that my HDD space ran out very
quickly - perhaps you could invest in a larger drive also.

If its professional editing, then currently Macs lead the way with their
G5's, par none -- but then again, you would probably already know that if
you were a professional editor ;)

Rod Speed 05-11-2005 04:40 AM

Re: What do you think about this system and the price

Aldi has rather more PC for $1800 starting tomorrow.
http://aldi.com.au/images/data_produ...72990c21de.pdf

Will S 05-11-2005 04:40 AM

Re: What do you think about this system and the price

"Dirty Sanchez" <DS@nospam.com.au> wrote in message
> Era wrote:
>> Is the specs for my new computer "reasonable" taking the price into
>> account? I will not be using it to play games, but will do some video
>> editing and rendering. I also will need to add more memory to this quote
>> as well.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 530 CPU (775 800MHz . 1M Cache)
>> Asrock 775I65GV Motherboard
>>
>> 160GB SATA Seagate HDD
>> 2x256MB PC3200 DDRAM
>>
>> 16x52x32x52 LG DVD-CDWR Combo Drive
>> 400W ATX Case
>> P/S 2 Keyboard & Wheel Mouse
>>
>> 17 Direction LCD Monitor
>>

>> Total is 1250 Inc GST

> Depends on how serious you are about your video editing.
>
> For starters, that MB is crap. I'd never even heard of Asrock before your
> post. Have a look at the conclusion in this review.
> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=70&num=5>
> I've always used ASUS and Abit MB's without a problem.

IIRC Asrock is an Asus off shoot ie. their budget brand

ZionIFL 05-11-2005 04:58 AM

Re: What do you think about this system and the price

Man - thats a heavy PC for $1800! I wonder if I can build it for less at,
say Gamedude.com.au?