Velocity Reviews

-   -   wireless signal strength is really poor? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4009-wireless-signal-strength-is-really-poor.html)

Devin Panchal 07-15-2004 03:12 PM

wireless signal strength is really poor?

hi,

i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.

my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?

its a 11mbs (802.11b)

thanx

devin

Rajiv P. Bharadwaja [MSFT] 07-19-2004 11:02 PM

Re: wireless signal strength is really poor?

What's the frequency at which you cordless phone operates? Is it 2.4GHz? If
not, it's highly unlikely that it is the cause of your problems.

The easiest way to increase signal strength is to bring your laptop with the
WiFi card closer to the WAP. Do you see intermittent disconnections in this
case as well? If you do, then it could be an issue related to the driver
that you are using.

Rajiv

mike 07-20-2004 12:40 AM

Re: wireless signal strength is really poor?

i have had very good results by using one of the many 'relectors' that can
be made & fitted to wireless rubber ducks.

mike

"Rajiv P. Bharadwaja [MSFT]" <rajivpb@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What's the frequency at which you cordless phone operates? Is it 2.4GHz?

If
> not, it's highly unlikely that it is the cause of your problems.
>
> The easiest way to increase signal strength is to bring your laptop with

the
> WiFi card closer to the WAP. Do you see intermittent disconnections in

this
> case as well? If you do, then it could be an issue related to the driver
> that you are using.
>
> Rajiv

rights.

> "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > i've got a belkin wireless router and a wireless card on my laptop.
> > downstairs we have got a new digital cordless fone.
> >
> > my problem is the wireless laptop connects fro about 1 min, and then
> > disconnects, even when the fone is off. how can i increase the signal
> > strength? is there anything i can do, to make it work proerly?
> >
> > its a 11mbs (802.11b)
> >
> > thanx
> >
> > devin

---