Velocity Reviews

-   -   Will WinXP whine about a CPU upgrade? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t400598-will-winxp-whine-about-a-cpu-upgrade.html)

JTJersey 03-26-2005 09:52 PM

Will WinXP whine about a CPU upgrade?

I'm planning on maxing out the CPU on my SOYO board from a Celeron 2.6 to
a Pentium 4 3.06. With all else staying the same, is Windows XP going to
bitch about the change on boot up?
--
Registered Linux User #267152

JANA 03-27-2005 03:22 AM

Re: Will WinXP whine about a CPU upgrade?

I've had most computers where I had to re-register XP, after doing a CPU
upgrade. If it is a lagitimate copy, there is no problem. You just do the
update of the registartion and that's it.

If you are making a number of hardware changes in a computer with XP at the
same time, it may need an update of its registration. I think you can do
something like six changes without problems. The CPU is a very critical one.
This is a sort of guess...

--

JANA
_____

news:pan.2005.03.26.21.52.44.817637@anotherlinuxma chine.com...

Oldus Fartus 03-27-2005 04:50 AM

JANA wrote:
> I've had most computers where I had to re-register XP, after doing a CPU
> upgrade. If it is a lagitimate copy, there is no problem. You just do the
> update of the registartion and that's it.
>
> If you are making a number of hardware changes in a computer with XP at the
> same time, it may need an update of its registration. I think you can do
> something like six changes without problems. The CPU is a very critical one.
> This is a sort of guess...

No Jana, you have never had to re-register XP. It is not compulsory.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

bmoag 03-27-2005 04:54 PM

Re: Will WinXP whine about a CPU upgrade?

You will have to re-activate your copy. If you have only done this once
nothing will happen. If you have done this more than once you will have to
call Microsoft's service center in India (this is Bill Gates' way of paying
America back for the opportunity it gave him) and they will give you a new
activitation number. If you upgrade frequently you get used to the routine
which is intended to intimidate you into buying another copy of WinXP.

Changing your CPU may not give you the big boost in performance you think
you will get if your memory is too slow to take advantage of bus boost the
new cpu will give . . .

Kawosa 03-27-2005 11:26 PM

Re: Will WinXP whine about a CPU upgrade?

JTJersey <JT3@anotherlinuxmachine.com> wrote in
news:pan.2005.03.26.21.52.44.817637@anotherlinuxma chine.com:

> I'm planning on maxing out the CPU on my SOYO board from a Celeron 2.6 to
> a Pentium 4 3.06. With all else staying the same, is Windows XP going to
> bitch about the change on boot up?

I just did this and the XP system did cough and spit but came through okay.
The problem is Hyperthreading. If you want to take full advantage of this,
you'll have to try a "Repair" install or a new install.