Velocity Reviews

-   -   [Newbie] How to configure communication between 2 switches ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t39965-newbie-how-to-configure-communication-between-2-switches.html)

siew@aldabra.com 07-08-2005 03:30 PM

[Newbie] How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

Hello,

I have just received 2 switches 3560G.
I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1
In the software Network Assistant, I can see the 2 switches and the
link between both. But from a switch, I cannot ping the other switch.

Do I need to configure a default gateway ?

I haven't activated VLANs. Do I need to activate them ?

Well the 2 switches don't want to communicate to each other !!

I need your help.

Many thanks,

JP

Chris 07-09-2005 07:02 PM

Re: [Newbie] How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

<siew@aldabra.com> wrote in message
news:1120836613.791356.203150@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have just received 2 switches 3560G.
> I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
> SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
> SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1

What's the netmask for both IP addresses?

jp 07-10-2005 07:12 PM

Re: How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

Chris wrote:
> <siew@aldabra.com> wrote in message
> news:1120836613.791356.203150@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have just received 2 switches 3560G.
> > I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
> > SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
> > SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1

> What's the netmask for both IP addresses?

It's 255.255.255.0

jp 07-11-2005 09:18 AM

Re: How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

I need your help. Please

Chris 07-11-2005 04:38 PM

"jp" <siew@aldabra.com> wrote in message
news:1121022777.920291.301150@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

> Chris wrote:
>> <siew@aldabra.com> wrote in message
>> news:1120836613.791356.203150@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have just received 2 switches 3560G.
>> > I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
>> > SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
>> > SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1

>> What's the netmask for both IP addresses?

> It's 255.255.255.0

Okay, so you've got one switch on 192.168.10.1 /24 and one switch on
192.168.19.1 /24 and you can't ping from one to the other. Why do you think
that is? Maybe it's because they are on different networks?

Chris.

John Smith 07-11-2005 09:45 PM

Re: How to configure communication between 2 switches ?

Chris, are you saying that you are not supposed to be able to ping an IP on
a different network? Cuz I do it all the time.

Chris 07-11-2005 10:37 PM

"John Smith" <jsmith@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Chris, are you saying that you are not supposed to be able to ping an IP
> on a different network? Cuz I do it all the time.

He has two switches connected together on different networks. He has no
layer three device so no, they won't be able to ping each other.

Think of it this way. If you connected two PC's together via a cross over
cable and put on on 192.168.10.1 /24 and the other on 192.168.19.1 /24,
could you ping from one to the other? Of course not!

Read the original post!

Chris.

Rod Dorman 07-12-2005 06:08 PM

In article <sYqdnUB3QMVVbk_fSa8jmw@karoo.co.uk>, Chris <chris@nospam> wrote:
>Think of it this way. If you connected two PC's together via a cross
>over cable and put on on 192.168.10.1 /24 and the other on
>192.168.19.1 /24, could you ping from one to the other? Of course
>not!

Depends on what you have the default gateways set to.

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

Chris 07-12-2005 08:53 PM

"Rod Dorman" <rodd@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <sYqdnUB3QMVVbk_fSa8jmw@karoo.co.uk>, Chris <chris@nospam>
> wrote:
>>Think of it this way. If you connected two PC's together via a cross
>>over cable and put on on 192.168.10.1 /24 and the other on
>>192.168.19.1 /24, could you ping from one to the other? Of course
>>not!

> Depends on what you have the default gateways set to.
>
> --
> -- Rod --
> rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

If there were only two devices on two different networks then it wouldn't
matter. What would you set the default gateway on the first PC to? There is
no other device on the same network to use as a default gateway.

Please read the original post. Two layer two devices on different networks
can't ping each other over the switch to switch link. NO layer three routing
device is present.

<Switch-192.168.10.1 /24>------cross over -------<Switch-192.168.19.1 /24>

<quote>
I connect them together and assign an IP address to each other.
SwitchLAN : 192.168.10.1 VLAN : 1
SwitchDMZ : 192.168.19.1 VLAN : 1
In the software Network Assistant, I can see the 2 switches and the
link between both. But from a switch, I cannot ping the other switch.
</quote>

JP, if you just configure both switches to be on the same network then you
should be able to ping one from the other. At the moment they are in
different networks. To route from one network to the other requires a layer
three device.

Chris.

Walter Roberson 07-13-2005 01:16 AM

In article <wdadnfh8NtqysEnfSa8jmA@karoo.co.uk>, Chris <chris@nospam> wrote:
>Please read the original post. Two layer two devices on different networks
>can't ping each other over the switch to switch link. NO layer three routing
>device is present.

The OP said the switches were 3560G. The 3560 series is the PoE version
of the Cat3550 Multilayer Switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...528/index.html

The Cisco Catalyst 3560 is available with either the standard
multilayer software image (SMI) or the enhanced multilayer software
image (EMI). The SMI feature set includes advanced QoS,
rate-limiting, ACLs, and basic routing functionality. The EMI
provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including
advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well
as policy-based routing (PBR).

.... Of course the routing features would have to be enabled, which the
OP does not say anything about having done -- but both ends *are*
Layer 3+ devices when configured to be so.
--
Are we *there* yet??