Velocity Reviews

-   -   2 VPN's Interface Issues (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t39759-2-vpns-interface-issues.html)

Dave 06-23-2005 04:25 PM

2 VPN's Interface Issues

Hi folks,

I have a PIX 501 with public IP on the outside interface. I want to
setup 2 VPNs on 2 other companies VPN devices or using cisco vpn
client, both would connect to the outside interface. If I do this will
clients on both the companies VPNs be able to talk to each other? I'm
thinking of the rule "pix can't route traffic back through the same
interface it came in on" or does this rule not apply when were talking
about VPN's?

Company1 Company2
| /
Public IP
PIX

If it did apply then could I have 2 PIX 501's, one pix (pix1) with the
outside interface mapped to a public IP and another pix (pix2) with the
outside interface mapped to an internal IP but NAT'd to a public IP
(nating would be done by pix1) one of my vpn's could terminate at pix1
and the other at pix2. This would ensure traffic travelled over both
interfaces of pix1.

Company1

Public IP
Pix1
Internal IP

Internal IP (nat'd to public IP) - Company 2
Pix2

surely there would be an easier way to do this? If you can recommend
any other way or any other devicae rather than a pix then let me know.
Also don't worry about security between company 1 and 2, I'm just using
these as easy to follow examples.

Any help would be gratefully received.

cheers
Dave

Erik Tamminga 06-23-2005 05:36 PM

Re: 2 VPN's Interface Issues

Hi,

You're right, the VPN's will NOT be able to communicate with eachother. The
rule "pix can't route traffic back through the same interface it came in on"
still applies for the PIX501. This issue has been "fixed" in PIX OS 7.0,
wich is currently not available for the PIX 501.

Erik

news:1119543929.432966.267020@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...

Dave 06-24-2005 10:53 AM

Re: 2 VPN's Interface Issues

Thankyou Erik,

It looks like our best option, but looks like we'll have to spend some
cash on a 515 or similar. I now have another question which posted
separatly.

Dave

Walter Roberson 06-24-2005 02:20 PM

Re: 2 VPN's Interface Issues

In article <1119610410.684144.248660@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
Dave <david.hodgson@vianet.co.uk> wrote:
:It looks like our best option, but looks like we'll have to spend some
:cash on a 515 or similar.

If you have more than one public IP address and can spare one, then
you can add a second PIX 501 to your network. One party would
VPN to one of them, the other party would VPN to the other, and
because the packets would not be going out the -same- interface
they came in on, the PIX would be perfectly happy. (This kind
of configuration does work -- we've done effectively that here.)
--
Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.

Dave 06-27-2005 07:33 AM

Re: 2 VPN's Interface Issues