Velocity Reviews

-   -   group for computer forensics in general (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394692-group-for-computer-forensics-in-general.html)

cg 01-25-2007 06:23 PM

group for computer forensics in general

Is this group a right group to discuss about computer forensics?
If not, is there more suitable group?

Thanks,

cg

Bogwitch 01-25-2007 06:47 PM

Re: group for computer forensics in general

cg,

Probably, it fits and I can't find a more appropriate group.
Did you want to discuss anythin specific?

Bogwitch.

cg 01-25-2007 07:36 PM

Re: group for computer forensics in general

Well, it might have been sound a bit vague.

What I want to explore more is the way malwares are injected, and on
the other way, how to effectively deal with them. These things will be
done in a confined lab environment.
Basically, I'd like to know what kind of rootkits or programs are
currently used by hackers to damage computer systems, and what kind of
tools and methods are being used to protect against them, and once
compromised, how to analyze them to figure out what had happened and
how to trace back the hackers. I would be only interested in free tools
for WinXP and Linux machines.

David H. Lipman 01-26-2007 02:08 AM

Re: group for computer forensics in general

From: "cg" <ilh.cho@gmail.com>

| Well, it might have been sound a bit vague.
|
| What I want to explore more is the way malwares are injected, and on
| the other way, how to effectively deal with them. These things will be
| done in a confined lab environment.
| Basically, I'd like to know what kind of rootkits or programs are
| currently used by hackers to damage computer systems, and what kind of
| tools and methods are being used to protect against them, and once
| compromised, how to analyze them to figure out what had happened and
| how to trace back the hackers. I would be only interested in free tools
| for WinXP and Linux machines.

Your best, *public*, bet would be; news:alt.comp.virus to discuss malware infection
vectors, RootKit technology and anti rootkit utilities (such as Gmer). Other aspects may
NOT be fit for public disclosure such as specific information associated with such malware
as the Gromozon.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Ian Ozenthroat 01-26-2007 07:20 PM

cg wrote:
> Well, it might have been sound a bit vague.
>
> What I want to explore more is the way malwares are injected, and on
> the other way, how to effectively deal with them. These things will be
> done in a confined lab environment.
> Basically, I'd like to know what kind of rootkits or programs are
> currently used by hackers to damage computer systems, and what kind of
> tools and methods are being used to protect against them, and once
> compromised, how to analyze them to figure out what had happened and
> how to trace back the hackers. I would be only interested in free tools
> for WinXP and Linux machines.

You may be interested in setting up a honeypot (aka tarpit, honeytrap)
http://www.atomicsoftwaresolutions.com/honeybot.php
http://www.honeynet.org/misc/project.html
http://www.honeypots.net/
http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computi...g/honeypot.htm

Goal Guy 01-27-2007 06:44 PM

Re: group for computer forensics in general

i am also looking computer forensics group cause i am network security
and managament student and anxiously looking for such group or
discussion forum.
Thankx
Bilal