Velocity Reviews

-   -   MS WORD launches slowly due to IE local security setting (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394522-ms-word-launches-slowly-due-to-ie-local-security-setting.html)

Zak 11-02-2006 02:04 PM

MS WORD launches slowly due to IE local security setting

When I launch MICROSOFT WORD I see from Reg Mon (by System Internals)
that WOERD will not launch quickly because it is spending tens of
seconds looping through the registry checking the following key and its
associated subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones

There is an article by Miscosoft called:
"How to strengthen the security settings for the Local Machine zone in
Internet Explorer"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833633>.

This article suggests that the reg key I give above is for local user
security settings.

Does this mean I can delete this reg key and let security defualt to the
machine settings?

I am hoping that WORD will then not get stuck on the looping that I see.

erewhon 11-02-2006 07:24 PM

Re: MS WORD launches slowly due to IE local security setting

"Zak" <duff@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> When I launch MICROSOFT WORD I see from Reg Mon (by System Internals)
> that WOERD will not launch quickly because it is spending tens of
> seconds looping through the registry checking the following key and its
> associated subkeys:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
> Settings\Zones

Perhaps this is malware?

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofive...hp/t17092.html

Sebastian Gottschalk 11-02-2006 07:39 PM

Zak wrote:

> Does this mean I can delete this reg key and let security defualt to the
> machine settings?

No. It means that you should abandon MSIE or MS Word, at best both.

> I am hoping that WORD will then not get stuck on the looping that I see.

WORD will get stuck for whatever reason it wants to see.

James E. Morrow 11-02-2006 09:36 PM

Re: MS WORD launches slowly due to IE local security setting

In article <4quvuqFp3e2kU1@news.dfncis.de>, seppi@seppig.de says...
> Zak wrote:
>
> > Does this mean I can delete this reg key and let security defualt to the
> > machine settings?

> No. It means that you should abandon MSIE or MS Word, at best both.
>
> > I am hoping that WORD will then not get stuck on the looping that I see.

> WORD will get stuck for whatever reason it wants to see.

http://www.openoffice.org/

The daily double contains no fatty Microsoft content to clog the
arteries of your computer. ;)

--
James E. Morrow
Email to: jamesemorrow@email.com

Todd H. 11-02-2006 09:53 PM

James E. Morrow <jamesemorrow@email.com> writes:

> In article <4quvuqFp3e2kU1@news.dfncis.de>, seppi@seppig.de says...
> > Zak wrote:
> >
> > > Does this mean I can delete this reg key and let security defualt to the
> > > machine settings?

> > No. It means that you should abandon MSIE or MS Word, at best both.
> >
> > > I am hoping that WORD will then not get stuck on the looping that I see.

> > WORD will get stuck for whatever reason it wants to see.
> >

> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
>

> http://www.openoffice.org/
>
> The daily double contains no fatty Microsoft content to clog the
> arteries of your computer. ;)

Caveat: OpenOffice will load and run slower than the equivalent MS applications. :-)

But it is free nad it is free of Microsoftness, which is reason enough
to use it. But blazing performance isn't among the reasons, just to
keep it real. :-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Sebastian Gottschalk 11-02-2006 10:00 PM

Todd H. wrote:

> Caveat: OpenOffice will load and run slower than the equivalent MS applications. :-)

Give me a hint. I click on the SOffice-Icon in the task bar, select "New
text document", and it's there in a blink. MS Office takes 5 seconds, and
when removing its preloader it will take 10+ seconds.

> But it is free nad it is free of Microsoftness, which is reason enough
> to use it. But blazing performance isn't among the reasons, just to
> keep it real. :-)

Again, give me a hint. I open a 30000+ rows table with OpenOffice, search
for a string, and get a list of all results after one or two seconds.
However, I never found out how long MS Excel takes for the same task, I
always killed it after one hour of CPU-hogging white-window inactivity.

Anyway, MS Office doesn't support any usable document storage format.

Todd H. 11-02-2006 10:25 PM

Sebastian Gottschalk <seppi@seppig.de> writes:

> Todd H. wrote:
>
> > Caveat: OpenOffice will load and run slower than the equivalent MS applications. :-)

> Give me a hint. I click on the SOffice-Icon in the task bar,

If you care to accept the overhead of preloading all that running the
launcher, sure. But that's sorta cheating.

I don't really have time zealots that can't see the limitations of
their own favorite tools. And don't forget, I actually like Open
Office, but don't pretend it's superior to Microsoft Office in every
way, that's all.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Todd H. 11-02-2006 10:45 PM

comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:

> Sebastian Gottschalk <seppi@seppig.de> writes:
>
> > Todd H. wrote:
> >
> > > Caveat: OpenOffice will load and run slower than the equivalent MS applications. :-)

> > Give me a hint. I click on the SOffice-Icon in the task bar,

> If you care to accept the overhead of preloading all that running the
> launcher, sure. But that's sorta cheating.

Heh. Okay, my curiosity is piqued and I have taken a few minutes to
quantify my assertion that Open Office, great as it is, is slow in
comparison to MS Office.

P3 Thinkpad T23, 1.1Ghz with a gig of RAM, running win2k natively.

Just tried it with Word 2002 sp3 (Office XP)- click
start>programs>Microsoft Word and I can start typing in my new
document in 3 seconds. Word hadn't been opened on the machine since
the last reboot, office toolbar is not run during statup on my system.

Now, allowing Open Office 1.1.5's starter to run in the taskbar, rmb>
text document still takes 4x as long-- 12 seconds for open office
1.1.5 to open.

Open Office Writer 2.0.3 took 22 seconds from icon click to being able
to type anything on the same machine (without the benefit of the
starter running).

The only good news is that restarts were fast for Open Office after
closing writer, and then restarting it from the task bar icon. With
the benfits of everything fresh in cache, they still only barely edge
Word's start time from a dead stop.

So, for all of us who trumpet Open Office (and I'm among you), you do
need to cross "better load time performance" off the list of virtues
you can sell it with with a straight face.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

MC 11-03-2006 12:17 AM

Zak wrote:
> When I launch MICROSOFT WORD I see from Reg Mon (by System Internals)
> that WOERD will not launch quickly because it is spending tens of
> seconds looping through the registry checking the following key and its
> associated subkeys:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
> Settings\Zones

[rest snipped]

Word has no business looking at Internet settings -- it is supposed to
be a word processor. I guess this is the typical thing you will see
though with MS products always getting linked one way or another to MSIE
even if it's absolutely unneeded and unwanted.

I suggest you take a look at another word processor that doesn't try to
use an internet browser back-end (for whatever reason). A good
alternative is OpenOffice; it's free and can read/write MS word files if
needed.
I also suggest strongly that you get a firewall installed, and in it,
block MSIE from accessing the Internet (and through it, programs that
use it as a backdoor out to bypass firewalls), and install a different
browser for your surfing needs. I have done this a long time ago myself
without any negative side effects.

MC

Sebastian Gottschalk 11-03-2006 12:34 AM

Todd H. wrote:

> comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:
>
>> Sebastian Gottschalk <seppi@seppig.de> writes:

>>> Give me a hint. I click on the SOffice-Icon in the task bar,

>> If you care to accept the overhead of preloading all that running the
>> launcher, sure. But that's sorta cheating.

It isn't. MS Office uses a lot more preloading.

> Heh. Okay, my curiosity is piqued and I have taken a few minutes to
> quantify my assertion that Open Office, great as it is, is slow in
> comparison to MS Office.
>
> P3 Thinkpad T23, 1.1Ghz with a gig of RAM, running win2k natively.
>
> Just tried it with Word 2002 sp3 (Office XP)- click
> start>programs>Microsoft Word and I can start typing in my new
> document in 3 seconds. Word hadn't been opened on the machine since
> the last reboot, office toolbar is not run during statup on my system.

What about IE's preloader? It contributes a lot.

> Now, allowing Open Office 1.1.5's starter to run in the taskbar, rmb>
> text document still takes 4x as long-- 12 seconds for open office
> 1.1.5 to open.
>
> Open Office Writer 2.0.3 took 22 seconds from icon click to being able
> to type anything on the same machine (without the benefit of the
> starter running).

As I already wrote: I achieve quite contradicting results.