Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394493-re-privacy-security-how-to-change-my-ip-address-daily-or-weekly-on-dsl.html)

Aluxe 10-18-2006 02:45 PM

On 18 Oct 2006 07:14:51 -0700, kingthorin@gmail.com wrote:
> What you really want to accomplish is scripting a release/renew
> between your modem and ISP, which is not easily accomplished.

Hi kingthorin,
I much appreciate your willingness to help and your reasonable ideas.
What always works is to unplug BOTH the modem & router overnight.

Note an "ipconfig /all" does NOT tell us the new IP address of the ROUTER;
I have to obtain the new router IP address from my NNTP server posting line
in my subsequent USENET posts.

Also note that I can't seem to "force" the PPPOE dialup by the router from
the computer so often I need to unplug and replug in the linksys router to
force the router to dial into the dsl isp.

Is there any way you know of to force the linksys router to dial into the
PPPOE account on demand?

kingthorin@gmail.com 10-18-2006 07:17 PM

Aluxe wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2006 07:14:51 -0700, kingthorin@gmail.com wrote:
> > What you really want to accomplish is scripting a release/renew
> > between your modem and ISP, which is not easily accomplished.

> Hi kingthorin,
> I much appreciate your willingness to help and your reasonable ideas.
> What always works is to unplug BOTH the modem & router overnight.
>
> Note an "ipconfig /all" does NOT tell us the new IP address of the ROUTER;
> I have to obtain the new router IP address from my NNTP server posting line
> in my subsequent USENET posts.
>
> Also note that I can't seem to "force" the PPPOE dialup by the router from
> the computer so often I need to unplug and replug in the linksys router to
> force the router to dial into the dsl isp.
>
> Is there any way you know of to force the linksys router to dial into the
> PPPOE account on demand?

You'd have to look at the mechanism in the web admin interface of your
linksys device but you can probably ues a windows version of wget
(http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html) called by a batch
file scheduled through windows task scheduler to do that.

Also I did a quick search and it sounds like some linksys devices have
a "connect on demand" option. (Disable keep-alive, enable "connect on
demand" and set a timeout). So that when your router receives an
outbound request it initiates the PPPoE connection (login) and then
disconnects after the timeout (inactivity) period is passed (ie: 15
mins after it receives the last outbound request). It'll probably
depend exactly which device you have but it sounds like it may be worth
checking out.
This is based on information here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6891
(go down to the "Connection Timers" section).

kingthorin@gmail.com 10-18-2006 07:26 PM

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/

#2 Aluxe 10-19-2006 07:30 AM

On 18 Oct 2006 12:17:24 -0700, kingthorin@gmail.com wrote:
>> Is there any way you know of to force the linksys router to dial into the
>> PPPOE account on demand?

> Some linksys devices have a "connect on demand" option.
> (Disable keep-alive, enable "connect on demand" and set a timeout).
> So that when your router receives an outbound request it initiates
> the PPPoE connection (login) and then disconnects after the timeout
> (inactivity) period is passed (ie: 15 mins after it receives the
> last outbound request).

Hi kingthorin,

Oh my. Yes. Finally. You are someone who helps answer the question.

Instead of a cheap off-topic editorial on paranoia, you bared your brains
and bothered to come up with a possible answer to what amounts to a very
simple on-topic technical question. Thank you so very much. It's people
like you that make the Internet so helpful to everyone!

I found all the settings you spoke of in my router.
- I aimed the browser at the router's IP address
- I logged in as the administrator of the router
- I went to "Setup" "Basic Setup" and switched the default from
- "Keep Alive: Redial Period = 30 sec"
- to the new setting of:
- "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time = 1 min"

Hopefully, a positive result of this technical test of your hypothesis will
answer the question of how to force the router to dial into the PPPoE
account when I power the modem back on after an evening's shutdown.

I'm not quite sure if I fully understand this setting though.
Is this a correct explaination of the "Connect on Demand" setting?

- Assume the DSL modem is shut down for, say, overnight.
- Assume the router was left powered on; as was the computer.
- The goal is to power the modem and attempt a web connection on the
computer and the hope is that this will cause the router to re-initiate the
PPPoE connection to the ISP.

I'm confused about the "max idle time" though. Does that mean that it could
be as long as one minute (given a max idle time setting of "1 min") before
the router initiates the PPPoE connection?

kingthorin@gmail.com 10-19-2006 12:10 PM

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

> Hi kingthorin,
>
> Oh my. Yes. Finally. You are someone who helps answer the question.
>
> Instead of a cheap off-topic editorial on paranoia, you bared your brains
> and bothered to come up with a possible answer to what amounts to a very
> simple on-topic technical question. Thank you so very much. It's people
> like you that make the Internet so helpful to everyone!

No worries.

> I found all the settings you spoke of in my router.
> - I aimed the browser at the router's IP address
> - I logged in as the administrator of the router
> - I went to "Setup" "Basic Setup" and switched the default from
> - "Keep Alive: Redial Period = 30 sec"
> - to the new setting of:
> - "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time = 1 min"

You may want to increase the Max Idle Time a bit. It's pretty simple to
be idle for one minute while you read a web page, news article, if you
answer the phone etc. You don't want to be hammering your ISPs
authentication server everytime you're idle for 1 min.

> Hopefully, a positive result of this technical test of your hypothesis will
> answer the question of how to force the router to dial into the PPPoE
> account when I power the modem back on after an evening's shutdown.
>
> I'm not quite sure if I fully understand this setting though.
> Is this a correct explaination of the "Connect on Demand" setting?
>
> - Assume the DSL modem is shut down for, say, overnight.
> - Assume the router was left powered on; as was the computer.
> - The goal is to power the modem and attempt a web connection on the
> computer and the hope is that this will cause the router to re-initiate the
> PPPoE connection to the ISP.

No it has nothing to do with powering down the modem, you can leave the
modem up. Your router will only be assigned a IP address by your ISP
when it has a valid PPPoE connection. The "Connect On Demand" and "Max
Idle Time" settings tell the router to well simply connect when there
is demand (ie: PPPoE connect/authenticate....which results in you
getting an IP) and then drop the connection (ie: PPPoE disconnect)
after your connection has been idle for x number of minutes. Everything
can remain powered on, if you have no "demand" overnight then you
should exceed the time you've observed and when you establish "connect
on demand" in the morning should attain a different IP. Make sense?

> I'm confused about the "max idle time" though. Does that mean that it could
> be as long as one minute (given a max idle time setting of "1 min") before
> the router initiates the PPPoE connection?

No, Max Idle Time is going to be the time the router takes before
dropping the connection. Like this:
1) Set down at your computer, open IE and try to hit
http://www.google.com, the router sees this as a request for something
outside of your local network and therefore initiates your PPPoE
connection to your ISP and gets you a public IP address.
2) You can now surf, email, etc at your leasure.
3) Once you stop surfing etc (no further request to things outside your
local network) the router will wait for a full minute of inactivity and
then disconnect (drop your PPPoE connection).

Note: Windows Update, MSN Messenger (any instand messenging program)
etc will likely cause a steady stream of traffic and never let you
become "Idle", you'll need to make sure they are disabled when you're
done online or configured so that they aren't doing their own 'keep
alive' functions, etc....

#2 Aluxe 10-19-2006 03:04 PM

On 19 Oct 2006 05:10:25 -0700, kingthorin@gmail.com wrote:
>> I found all the settings you spoke of in my router.
>> - I aimed the browser at the router's IP address
>> - I logged in as the administrator of the router
>> - I went to "Setup" "Basic Setup" and switched the default from
>> - "Keep Alive: Redial Period = 30 sec"
>> - to the new setting of:
>> - "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time = 1 min"

> You may want to increase the Max Idle Time a bit. It's pretty simple to
> be idle for one minute while you read a web page, news article, if you
> answer the phone etc. You don't want to be hammering your ISPs
> authentication server everytime you're idle for 1 min.

Hi kingthorin,

I love the fact that you are helping to answer the original technical
question (instead of getting into an endless & useless theoretical debate
about paranoia). Thank you for sticking to the topic and for knowing enough
to do so.

My test failed. Obviously I have a new IP address but that was never the
problem. The problem was getting the new IP address (aka NNTP posting host)
without having to power down the router (and the modem, if possible). I had
to power the router off and then back on to get it to initiate the PPPoE
DHCP DSL connection to the ISP.

However, you have told me that I performed the test wrong as I had powered
down the modem (but not the router) in my successful attempt to get the
modem to release its assigned IP address. Releasing the IP address isn't
the problem ... it's getting a new IP address without having to power down
the Linksys router that is the problem.

After reading your post just now, I will try a NEW test. I just took your
suggestion and increased the maximum idle time to 5 minutes (the default).

DOES THIS look like a definitive MAX-IDLE-TIME test procedure?

a. Connect to the Internet, e.g., www.google.com (to ascertain connection)
b. Determine my modem's current IP address (by querying the router)
c. Wait five minute inactive (assume no keep-alive programs are running)
d. The 5-inactive minutes should disconnect me from the PPPoE connection
e. Test the PPPoE connection by again querying the router on port 80
f. At this point, there should be no assigned IP address showing up
g. WAIT FOR AS LONG AS YOU LIKE (but more than the Max Idle Time)
h. Repeat step a above to connect to the Internet by going to google
i. This should "wake up" the router & tell it to dial back into PPPoE
j. Within a few secs, the PPPoE connection should be re-established
k. The proof will be that the google web page reappears in the browser

Is this a valid test procedure to prove whether the PPPoE connection is
being dropped and then reconnected on demand after waiting for more than
the max idle time?

kingthorin@gmail.com 10-19-2006 03:40 PM

#2 Aluxe wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2006 05:10:25 -0700, kingthorin@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I found all the settings you spoke of in my router.
> >> - I aimed the browser at the router's IP address
> >> - I logged in as the administrator of the router
> >> - I went to "Setup" "Basic Setup" and switched the default from
> >> - "Keep Alive: Redial Period = 30 sec"
> >> - to the new setting of:
> >> - "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time = 1 min"

> > You may want to increase the Max Idle Time a bit. It's pretty simple to
> > be idle for one minute while you read a web page, news article, if you
> > answer the phone etc. You don't want to be hammering your ISPs
> > authentication server everytime you're idle for 1 min.

> Hi kingthorin,
>
> I love the fact that you are helping to answer the original technical
> question (instead of getting into an endless & useless theoretical debate
> about paranoia). Thank you for sticking to the topic and for knowing enough
> to do so.
>
> My test failed. Obviously I have a new IP address but that was never the
> problem. The problem was getting the new IP address (aka NNTP posting host)
> without having to power down the router (and the modem, if possible). I had
> to power the router off and then back on to get it to initiate the PPPoE
> DHCP DSL connection to the ISP.
>
> However, you have told me that I performed the test wrong as I had powered
> down the modem (but not the router) in my successful attempt to get the
> modem to release its assigned IP address. Releasing the IP address isn't
> the problem ... it's getting a new IP address without having to power down
> the Linksys router that is the problem.
>
> After reading your post just now, I will try a NEW test. I just took your
> suggestion and increased the maximum idle time to 5 minutes (the default).
>
> DOES THIS look like a definitive MAX-IDLE-TIME test procedure?
>
> a. Connect to the Internet, e.g., www.google.com (to ascertain connection)
> b. Determine my modem's current IP address (by querying the router)

It's actually your router that gets the IP address from your ISP not
the modem. Think of it like you didn't have multiple systems (and
therefore no router) your lone computer would initiate the PPPoE
connection and get the IP address.

> c. Wait five minute inactive (assume no keep-alive programs are running)
> d. The 5-inactive minutes should disconnect me from the PPPoE connection
> e. Test the PPPoE connection by again querying the router on port 80

Yes if you check the router after 5.5 minutes (er whatever) then it
should have dropped your connection and it should no longer have a
public IP.

> f. At this point, there should be no assigned IP address showing up
> g. WAIT FOR AS LONG AS YOU LIKE (but more than the Max Idle Time)

Once you're sure you've been disconnected there's no reason to wait
longer. (Though this would usually be your overnight period which would
exceed the hour or two you previously noted it takes for you to
reconnect and attain a different IP then your previous connections.
Make sense?)

> h. Repeat step a above to connect to the Internet by going to google
> i. This should "wake up" the router & tell it to dial back into PPPoE
> j. Within a few secs, the PPPoE connection should be re-established
> k. The proof will be that the google web page reappears in the browser

or that you check the router again and the PPPoE connection is
established and you have a public IP again.

> Is this a valid test procedure to prove whether the PPPoE connection is
> being dropped and then reconnected on demand after waiting for more than
> the max idle time?

Ya I think that'll work for you. Just remember that "Max Idle Time" is
just for dropping the connection, you'll still have to wait the hour or
two (between drop and establish) you previously observed to keep
yourself from getting the same address twice in a row.

kingthorin@gmail.com 10-20-2006 01:46 PM

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

So were you successful?

Aluxe 10-21-2006 04:01 PM

On 20 Oct 2006 06:46:04 -0700, kingthorin@gmail.com wrote:

> So were you successful?

Hi kingthorin,
Thank you very much for your help and concern.
No. I have not been successful yet.

It's actually embarrassing that, after all the helpful posts (there must be
more than a hundred of them) I still don't have a software method (other
than rebooting the router) which simply tells the router to dial into the
PPPoE account after an assigned address is "given up" by the ISP.

I wonder ... what is the "state" of the connection when the router is still
on but the ISP has "given up" on the IP address it previously assigned to
me? If I could only wake the connection out of that dormant state without
rebooting the router ...

The confusing part is that the option we set "should" have worked!
- Aim the browser at the linksys router's IP address
- Log in as the administrator of the router
- Go to "Setup" "Basic Setup" "Keep Alive:"
- Change from: "Redial Period = 30 sec"
- Change to: "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time = 5 min"

I do not yet know why this isn't working and I am trying different things
each morning but (so far) I always end up rebooting the router which
immediately reconnects me to my PPPoE account.

What I "think" is happening (from front to back) is:
- Powering up the router causes it to dial into the PPPoE account
- The router "dials" in with a login and password
- The login and password is accepted by the ISP
- The ISP immediately assigns an IP address to the router or modem
(note in this thread some say the IP address is assigned to the router,
others say it is assigned to the modem; suffice to say it is assigned to
me)

- If I constantly use the computer, this IP assignment is maintained
- If I don't use the computer during the day, this IP assignment is
maintained
- However, if I don't use the computer for a long time (hours), then
something wierd happens now (that didn't happen before I changed the
settings).

- Apparently the ISP un-assignes the IP address
- Yet the router is apparently blissfully unaware of the change
- Unfortunatly, the router does NOT dial back in to get a new IP assignment

After a hundred replies to this post, I still don't know ...
What can I do (sans rebooting the router) to get the router to just ask for
a new IP address?

Dana 10-21-2006 05:17 PM

"Aluxe" <nottelling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 20 Oct 2006 06:46:04 -0700, kingthorin@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > So were you successful?

> After a hundred replies to this post, I still don't know ...
> What can I do (sans rebooting the router) to get the router to just ask

for
> a new IP address?

What is make and model of the router??