Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394490-re-privacy-security-how-to-change-my-ip-address-daily-or-weekly-on-dsl.html)

Aluxe 10-17-2006 08:16 PM

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:04:09 -0800, Dana wrote:

> "Aluxe" <aluxelocochon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Same with periodically changing my MAC address, my SSID, my encryption
>> keys, my login, my password, and my IP address.

> While some of the above are good security practices, like password changing
> and even SSID. People who change MAC addresses are not doing so for security
> reasons, but are changing their MAC addresses to avoid being found (while
> yes you can call that security), the point is that it has been found that
> mass mailers, spammers, phishers and such are the ones who are hiding by
> changing their MAC addresses. But like everything else, they cannot hide
> forever and eventually they do get caught.

LOL. Hi Dana,
I'm not a bad guy ... If I were, I wouldn't be posting this using my own
ISP would I?

Here's the test:
a) Can you casually track my last ten posts?
Of course you can. Just look for my login on google.

b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts?
I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

John Navas 10-17-2006 08:21 PM

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:16:26 GMT, Aluxe <aluxelocochon@yahoo.com> wrote
in <q3yfghv589x7$.aswlk1e4dgup$.dlg@40tude.net>:

>On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:04:09 -0800, Dana wrote:
>
>> "Aluxe" <aluxelocochon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Same with periodically changing my MAC address, my SSID, my encryption
>>> keys, my login, my password, and my IP address.

>> While some of the above are good security practices, like password changing
>> and even SSID. People who change MAC addresses are not doing so for security
>> reasons, but are changing their MAC addresses to avoid being found (while
>> yes you can call that security), the point is that it has been found that
>> mass mailers, spammers, phishers and such are the ones who are hiding by
>> changing their MAC addresses. But like everything else, they cannot hide
>> forever and eventually they do get caught.

>LOL. Hi Dana,
>I'm not a bad guy ... If I were, I wouldn't be posting this using my own
>ISP would I?
>
>Here's the test:
>a) Can you casually track my last ten posts?
>Of course you can. Just look for my login on google.
>
>b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
>Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.
>
>c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts?
>I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

It doesn't.

>Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

To make the room dark.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>

Dana 10-17-2006 08:38 PM

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:04:09 -0800, Dana wrote:
>
> > "Aluxe" <aluxelocochon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Same with periodically changing my MAC address, my SSID, my encryption
> >> keys, my login, my password, and my IP address.

> > While some of the above are good security practices, like password

changing
> > and even SSID. People who change MAC addresses are not doing so for

security
> > reasons, but are changing their MAC addresses to avoid being found

(while
> > yes you can call that security), the point is that it has been found

that
> > mass mailers, spammers, phishers and such are the ones who are hiding by
> > changing their MAC addresses. But like everything else, they cannot hide
> > forever and eventually they do get caught.

> LOL. Hi Dana,
> I'm not a bad guy ... If I were, I wouldn't be posting this using my own
> ISP would I?
>
> Here's the test:
> a) Can you casually track my last ten posts?
> Of course you can. Just look for my login on google.
>
> b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
> Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

Just using your IP address to track messages would also give me the other
people who were assigned that IP address by your ISP.
Remember the ISP is who is identified by that IP address when you run a
whois.

> c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts?

Yep, just type in your name you use to post, or the email address you are
using.
> I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

It will not.
If you want to post anonymously, you have to use a remailer type of service.
They strip your headers, and replace them with theirs.

> Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

I leave mine open. But I do not have any visible neighbors

Mark McIntyre 10-17-2006 10:50 PM

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:16:26 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Aluxe
<aluxelocochon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Here's the test:
>a) Can you casually track my last ten posts?

The question is, why do you care? There are two possible answers:
1) you're clinically paranoid
2) you have a guilty concience

I can't currently think of a third.

>c) The real question is can you track my last fifty posts?
>I'm hoping changing my IP address makes this step just a wee bit harder.

Not really. Anyone who REALLY wanted to track you would monitor posts
for your characteristic posting style, and would catch you very
quickly.

>Otherwise, why close your window shutters when you're going to bed?

I don't. I'm not paranoid.
--
Mark McIntyre

Aluxe 10-18-2006 04:33 AM

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:38:20 -0800, Dana wrote:
>> b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
>> Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

> Just using your IP address to track messages would also give me the other
> people who were assigned that IP address by your ISP.

Hi Dana,
I think you are making my point for me (I think).

If I had the lease on an IP address for, say, the past three months, then
you could find all my posts (no matter which pseudonym I chose) for that
three-month period, simply by searching for one line in the nntp header.

If I had the same IP address for, say, six months, then I just doubled that
vulnerable tracking period.

Likewise, if I held the lease only for a day, then you'd only be able to
track my posts for one day.

Arent' you agreeing with me then on the need to change the IP address
periodically for those of us whose ISP lists the IP address of our routers?

Aluxe 10-18-2006 04:37 AM

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:50:14 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote:
> The question is, why do you care? There are two possible answers:
> 1) you're clinically paranoid
> 2) you have a guilty concience

Hi Mark McIntyre,

Wanting privacy doesn't mean you're clinically paranoid. Are you saying
everyone who closes the bathroom door is clinically paranoid? Or that they
have a guilty conscience?

Are you implying that everyone who pulls the voting booth curtain shut has
a guilty conscience (maybe they are a tax evader?).

And, everyone who licks an envelope shut has a guilty conscience?

I like you (and I appreciate your help) ... but I think you are stretching
the situation to say that everyone who desires a modicum of privacy has a
guilty conscience or is paranoid except you.

All I want to do is figure out a way to tell the router to wake up and dial
into the DSL PPOE (or whatever it is) when I give it a command from the
computer.

Dana 10-18-2006 04:55 AM

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:38:20 -0800, Dana wrote:
> >> b) OK. Then, can you easily track my last twenty posts?
> >> Of course you can. Just look for my IP address.

> > Just using your IP address to track messages would also give me the

other
> > people who were assigned that IP address by your ISP.

> Hi Dana,
> I think you are making my point for me (I think).
>
> If I had the lease on an IP address for, say, the past three months, then
> you could find all my posts (no matter which pseudonym I chose) for that
> three-month period, simply by searching for one line in the nntp header.

So you are an abuser of the system, or else you would not have to change
your pseudonym all the time. People who do that is the newsgroups are either
spammers, or people just trying to disrupt the newsroup, or people who keep
getting blocked by their other ISPs from posting to newsgroups.

> Arent' you agreeing with me then on the need to change the IP address
> periodically for those of us whose ISP lists the IP address of our

routers?

No.

Aluxe 10-18-2006 05:20 AM

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:55:01 -0800, Dana wrote:
> So you are an abuser of the system, or else you would not have to change
> your pseudonym all the time.

Hi Dana,
I do appreciate your help ... and this conversation will help many others
.... but I must wonder why you instantly assume anyone who wants privacy is
an "abuser of the system".

Am I an abuser of the system because I close the bathroom door?
Am I an abuser of the system because I lick my envelopes shut?
Am I an abuser of the system because I participate in anonymous surveys?

Of course not.

Please don't assume that a sincere desire to remain private is an automatic
conviction for system abuse.

I have posted to many alt.personals groups, for example, and I don't want
my kids to see them. Are you saying that I'm an abuser of the system
because I don't post using my real name? Or that I don't use the same name
for the personal posts vs the technical posts vs the work related posts?

Which of my actions above caused me to be condemned as an abuser of the
system?

All I want to know is how to wake up the PPPOE part of the linksys router
so that it dials back into the DSL ISP with my login and password so that I
don't have to unplug the router to force it to do so.

Dana 10-18-2006 05:44 AM

news:8r03f7mb5zxm$.1oztuq2848t1y$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:55:01 -0800, Dana wrote:
> > So you are an abuser of the system, or else you would not have to change
> > your pseudonym all the time.

> Hi Dana,
> I do appreciate your help ... and this conversation will help many others
> ... but I must wonder why you instantly assume anyone who wants privacy is
> an "abuser of the system".

But you do not want privacy, you are trying to circumvent the system.
For all we know is maybe you harass people on the newsgroups, hence filters
were put in place against you, and you are trying to get around them.

> Please don't assume that a sincere desire to remain private is an

automatic
> conviction for system abuse.

It seems you may have different motives for masking your location

> I have posted to many alt.personals groups, for example, and I don't want
> my kids to see them. Are you saying that I'm an abuser of the system
> because I don't post using my real name?

Nope. There are many different screen names running around the internet

> Or that I don't use the same name
> for the personal posts vs the technical posts vs the work related posts?

Nope, again that is common practice

> Which of my actions above caused me to be condemned as an abuser of the
> system?

Your insistence on trying to hide you Mac address. Since you use DHCP your
IP address is not important. Your Mac address is what identifies your
computer.
While people from the outside, except your ISP cannot see your MAC, the fact
that you want to change it, indicates you may be up to something that forces
you to want to hide. Just like what mass mailers, spammers, and phishers do.

Warren Oates 10-18-2006 11:13 AM

Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

In article <8r03f7mb5zxm$.1oztuq2848t1y$.dlg@40tude.net>,
Aluxe <aluxelocochon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have posted to many alt.personals groups, for example, and I don't want
> my kids to see them. Are you saying that I'm an abuser of the system
> because I don't post using my real name? Or that I don't use the same name
> for the personal posts vs the technical posts vs the work related posts?

If that's all you want, buy a premium NNTP service. Use X-no-archive
(it's not perfect, but your original headers won't show).
--
W. Oates
Teal'c: He is concealing something.