Velocity Reviews

-   -   Curious HTTP connections (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394484-curious-http-connections.html)

Abel X 10-16-2006 05:31 PM

Curious HTTP connections

I started having slow startup problems with my computer, that is the part of
the startup after the Windows screen and before the desktop is fully loaded
and settled down. I also noticed a lot of processor activity and, as I have
an icon to show when my computer is connected to the internet, I also
noticed that on some occasions there was internet activity.

I decided to run open the command window and run the netstat -a command to
see what connections were active. Why is it that an "http" connection is
open sometimes at startup, or at other times, when I either have not yet
opened a browser, or when I do not have a browser open? Just curious?

This is even the case on a machine that I recently re-installed the system
on and updated it, then installed Norton Internet Security and updated that
also.

Abel X

Sebastian Gottschalk 10-16-2006 06:12 PM

Re: Curious HTTP connections

Abel X wrote:

> This is even the case on a machine that I recently re-installed the system
> on and updated it, then installed Norton Internet Security and updated that
> also.

OK, you installed a software that is supposed to do random stuff with your
network connection, and then you wonder that it actually does?

Abel X 10-16-2006 06:24 PM

"Sebastian Gottschalk" <seppi@seppig.de> wrote in message
> Abel X wrote:
>
>> This is even the case on a machine that I recently re-installed the
>> system
>> on and updated it, then installed Norton Internet Security and updated
>> that
>> also.

> OK, you installed a software that is supposed to do random stuff with
> your
> network connection, and then you wonder that it actually does?

Are you refering to Norton Internet Security?

Abel X.

David H. Lipman 10-16-2006 07:42 PM

Re: Curious HTTP connections

From: "Abel X" <nospamthanks@hadenoughalready.com>

| I started having slow startup problems with my computer, that is the part of
| the startup after the Windows screen and before the desktop is fully loaded
| and settled down. I also noticed a lot of processor activity and, as I have
| an icon to show when my computer is connected to the internet, I also
| noticed that on some occasions there was internet activity.
|
| I decided to run open the command window and run the netstat -a command to
| see what connections were active. Why is it that an "http" connection is
| open sometimes at startup, or at other times, when I either have not yet
| opened a browser, or when I do not have a browser open? Just curious?
|
| This is even the case on a machine that I recently re-installed the system
| on and updated it, then installed Norton Internet Security and updated that
| also.
|
| Abel X

Insufficient.

You haven't supplied ANY supporting information.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Sebastian Gottschalk 10-16-2006 08:12 PM

Abel X wrote:

> "Sebastian Gottschalk" <seppi@seppig.de> wrote in message
>> Abel X wrote:
>>
>>> This is even the case on a machine that I recently re-installed the
>>> system on and updated it, then installed Norton Internet Security and
>>> updated that also.

>> OK, you installed a software that is supposed to do random stuff with
>> your network connection, and then you wonder that it actually does?

> Are you refering to Norton Internet Security?

Yes, obviously. And as it seems you're using Outlook Express, you can't be
serious about security anyway.

Abel X 10-16-2006 08:27 PM

> From: "Abel X" <nospamthanks@hadenoughalready.com>
>
> | I started having slow startup problems with my computer, that is the
> part of
> | the startup after the Windows screen and before the desktop is fully
> loaded
> | and settled down. I also noticed a lot of processor activity and, as I
> have
> | an icon to show when my computer is connected to the internet, I also
> | noticed that on some occasions there was internet activity.
> |
> | I decided to run open the command window and run the netstat -a command
> | see what connections were active. Why is it that an "http" connection
> is
> | open sometimes at startup, or at other times, when I either have not yet
> | opened a browser, or when I do not have a browser open? Just curious?
> |
> | This is even the case on a machine that I recently re-installed the
> system
> | on and updated it, then installed Norton Internet Security and updated
> that
> | also.
> |
> | Abel X
> |

> Insufficient.
>
> You haven't supplied ANY supporting information.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Dave,

I am running windows XP Home fully updated, plus Norton Internet Security
2006.

The processes which are using a lot of CPU time are System Idle Process, and
a couple of other processes related to my printer driver/monitor and Norton
processes CCAPP.exe.

There are a number of applications loading into the system tray at startup,
so the high CPU time at startup may not be anything out of the ordinary.

The HTTP connections at startup have come from various IP addresses,
including several from the network 84.53.142.0 - 84.53.142.255.

What other information do you need precisely?

Abel X.

Abel X 10-16-2006 08:32 PM

> Abel X wrote:
>
>> "Sebastian Gottschalk" <seppi@seppig.de> wrote in message

>>> OK, you installed a software that is supposed to do random stuff with
>>> your network connection, and then you wonder that it actually does?

>> Are you refering to Norton Internet Security?

> Yes, obviously. And as it seems you're using Outlook Express, you can't be
> serious about security anyway.

I had thought Norton was a good security program. I am not aware of the
"random stuff" it is supposed to do with my network connection.

What E-mail/Newsreader would you recommend, and why is OE supposed to be so
bad?

Abel X.

David H. Lipman 10-16-2006 08:37 PM

Re: Curious HTTP connections

From: "Abel X" <nospamthanks@hadenoughalready.com>

>> From: "Abel X" <nospamthanks@hadenoughalready.com>
>>

|>> I started having slow startup problems with my computer, that is the
>> part of

|>> the startup after the Windows screen and before the desktop is fully
>> loaded

|>> and settled down. I also noticed a lot of processor activity and, as I
>> have

|>> an icon to show when my computer is connected to the internet, I also
|>> noticed that on some occasions there was internet activity.
|>>
|>> I decided to run open the command window and run the netstat -a command

|>> see what connections were active. Why is it that an "http" connection
>> is

|>> open sometimes at startup, or at other times, when I either have not yet
|>> opened a browser, or when I do not have a browser open? Just curious?
|>>
|>> This is even the case on a machine that I recently re-installed the
>> system

|>> on and updated it, then installed Norton Internet Security and updated
>> that

|>> also.
|>>
|>> Abel X
|>>
>> Insufficient.
>>
>> You haven't supplied ANY supporting information.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>>

| Dave,
|
| I am running windows XP Home fully updated, plus Norton Internet Security
| 2006.
|
| The processes which are using a lot of CPU time are System Idle Process, and
| a couple of other processes related to my printer driver/monitor and Norton
| processes CCAPP.exe.
|
| There are a number of applications loading into the system tray at startup,
| so the high CPU time at startup may not be anything out of the ordinary.
|
| The HTTP connections at startup have come from various IP addresses,
| including several from the network 84.53.142.0 - 84.53.142.255.
|
| What other information do you need precisely?
|
| Abel X.

For a start...
Redirect a NETSTAT command to a disk file and then copy its contents into your reply.

Sebastian Gottschalk 10-16-2006 09:08 PM

Abel X wrote:

> I had thought Norton was a good security program.

Huh? Since when? And why did you make such a strange assumption?

> I am not aware of the "random stuff" it is supposed to do with my network
> connection.

Well, then you should better read the documentation again as well as
looking at the implementation.

> What E-mail/Newsreader would you recommend, and why is OE supposed to be so
> bad?

Almost any under the sun? Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora, The Bat, Opera M2,
Mutt, Pine, ...