Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD Shrink "layer break" question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394442-dvd-shrink-layer-break-question.html)

def456 02-26-2007 09:16 PM

DVD Shrink "layer break" question

There's an option box to check in DVD Shrink to remove the layer break from
output files. It is checked by default, so the layer break is apparently
removed for DVD 9 output files.

Then, while using Nero Express 6 to copy the resulting VIDEO_TS folder files
to a DL disc, presumably Nero automatically inserts a new layer break in the
process. Is that correct?

At least it seems to be true because the resulting discs play OK for me,
insofar as I can determine.

I wonder what is the consequence of unchecking that box in DVD Shrink, so
that the layer break is not removed? Would Nero then use the original
designated layer break rather than making one of its own? And if so, would
there be any negative consequences?

Fred C. Dobbs 02-27-2007 01:29 PM

Re: DVD Shrink "layer break" question

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:16:33 GMT, "def456" <def456@none.none> wrote:

>There's an option box to check in DVD Shrink to remove the layer break from
>output files. It is checked by default, so the layer break is apparently
>removed for DVD 9 output files.
>
>Then, while using Nero Express 6 to copy the resulting VIDEO_TS folder files
>to a DL disc, presumably Nero automatically inserts a new layer break in the
>process. Is that correct?
>
>At least it seems to be true because the resulting discs play OK for me,
>insofar as I can determine.
>
>I wonder what is the consequence of unchecking that box in DVD Shrink, so
>that the layer break is not removed? Would Nero then use the original
>designated layer break rather than making one of its own? And if so, would
>there be any negative consequences?

A DVD9 has two layers and a DVD5 has one.
A" layer break" is the point in the program that the player pauses to
focus its Laser on the 2nd layer of a DVD9. That point is set in the
coding of the DVD by the person who "Authored" it. Generally that
point is placed somewhere in the program where it is the least
noticeable, like the end of a scene where the movie would fade out.
If you are using DVD shrink you are "Shrinking" a DVD9 to a DVD5
therefore there should not be a layer break.

def456 02-27-2007 02:18 PM

Re: DVD Shrink "layer break" question

> If you are using DVD shrink you are "Shrinking" a DVD9 to a DVD5
> therefore there should not be a layer break.

Thanks for your info, however your comment above is incorrect. DVD Shrink
does not require shrinking to DVD5 size. You can also select DVD9 target
size in the Edit menu, Preferences, intended for burning to DL discs. That's
what I'm doing. So there is indeed a layer break!

Oldus Fartus 02-28-2007 01:14 AM

def456 wrote:
>> If you are using DVD shrink you are "Shrinking" a DVD9 to a DVD5
>> therefore there should not be a layer break.

> Thanks for your info, however your comment above is incorrect. DVD Shrink
> does not require shrinking to DVD5 size. You can also select DVD9 target
> size in the Edit menu, Preferences, intended for burning to DL discs. That's
> what I'm doing. So there is indeed a layer break!

DVD Shrink may be set to remove the layer break from a dual layer disc,
but the burning program should be the one which determines where the
layer break should be on your burned disc. The layer break point may
or may not be at the same point as on the original disc.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

def456 03-02-2007 11:40 PM

"Oldus Fartus" <denisand@iiNOSPAMnet.net.au> wrote in message
> def456 wrote:
>>> If you are using DVD shrink you are "Shrinking" a DVD9 to a DVD5
>>> therefore there should not be a layer break.

>> Thanks for your info, however your comment above is incorrect. DVD Shrink
>> does not require shrinking to DVD5 size. You can also select DVD9 target
>> size in the Edit menu, Preferences, intended for burning to DL discs.
>> That's what I'm doing. So there is indeed a layer break!

> DVD Shrink may be set to remove the layer break from a dual layer disc,
> but the burning program should be the one which determines where the layer
> break should be on your burned disc. The layer break point may or may
> not be at the same point as on the original disc.

My original question has become somewhat moot, because in the meantime I've
discovered that Nero 6 is buggy when burning DL media. DL discs must be
burned with something else, such as IMGBurn, or they won't work on most DVD
players. I've learned how to use IMGBurn now, which recommends a layer break
point(s) then allows user to confirm. My guess is... it doesn't matter
whether or not DVD Shrink removes the layer break, if using IMGBurn or
similar burning software, but I haven't tested that theory.