Velocity Reviews

-   -   Standalone 5.1 decoder (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394429-standalone-5-1-decoder.html)

Steve Kraus 02-24-2007 07:31 PM

Standalone 5.1 decoder

Can someone recommend a good simple stand alone DD 5.1 decoder?

All I want is a box with fiber optic input and 6 line level outputs. Maybe
an output level adjust. I bought a Creative DDTS-100 but it was defective.
The replacement I received is also defective. Probably just bad luck but I
want to give up with them and have asked to return it for refund. But what
else is available?

FWIW this is to use with a Toshiba HD-DVD player which lacks built-in
decoding. I need a player with built-in decoding (as I have with my
regular DVD players) as I'm using it at a screening room and I need 6
channels @ line level to feed the existing sound system (no receiver).

Jan Panteltje 02-25-2007 02:00 PM

Re: Standalone 5.1 decoder

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:31:21 GMT) it happened Steve Kraus
<screen@SPAMBLOCKfilmteknik.com> wrote in
<do0Eh.3487$PL.1351@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.n et>:

>Can someone recommend a good simple stand alone DD 5.1 decoder?
>
>All I want is a box with fiber optic input and 6 line level outputs. Maybe
>an output level adjust. I bought a Creative DDTS-100 but it was defective.
>The replacement I received is also defective. Probably just bad luck but I
>want to give up with them and have asked to return it for refund. But what
>else is available?
>
>FWIW this is to use with a Toshiba HD-DVD player which lacks built-in
>decoding. I need a player with built-in decoding (as I have with my
>regular DVD players) as I'm using it at a screening room and I need 6
>channels @ line level to feed the existing sound system (no receiver).

I have a Cyberhome CH-DVD 405 just for this purpose.
6 analog cinch outputs.
Works great, but not always on DVD+RW.
Had it for years, was only 60 Euro or so (say 85 $).
There are probably better models now, but picture quality is great too.
Cheaper then a separate decoder I'd think.

Steve Kraus 02-26-2007 04:01 AM

Re: Standalone 5.1 decoder

Jan Panteltje wrote:

> I have a Cyberhome CH-DVD 405 just for this purpose.

Um...that's hardly going to help me with HD-DVD playback.

Jan Panteltje 02-26-2007 05:59 PM

Re: Standalone 5.1 decoder

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:01:07 GMT) it happened Steve Kraus
<7YsEh.5947$_73.3799@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink. net>:

>Jan Panteltje wrote:
>
>> I have a Cyberhome CH-DVD 405 just for this purpose.

>Um...that's hardly going to help me with HD-DVD playback.

Sorry, did not notice you wanted HD.

Actually just use the normal format, cheaper too.

Steve Kraus 02-27-2007 04:46 AM

Re: Standalone 5.1 decoder

> Actually just use the normal format, cheaper too.

Hahahaha. Not quite the same thing.

Steve Kraus 03-01-2007 04:30 PM

Re: Standalone 5.1 decoder

Anyone? Do these no longer exist?

Rich Clark 03-01-2007 06:38 PM

Re: Standalone 5.1 decoder

On Mar 1, 11:30 am, Steve Kraus <scr...@SPAMBLOCKfilmteknik.com>
wrote:
> Anyone? Do these no longer exist?

You might do just as well looking for a digital receiver with preamp
outs. Likely to be just as cheap (or cheaper) due to economy of
manufacturing scale, and you'll have a backup amp if you need one.

Irv Segal 03-05-2007 07:15 AM

Re: Standalone 5.1 decoder

I use a Klipsch ProMedia DD-5.1; it decodes AC-3 and DTS . It has optical
and coaxial SPDIF inputs, and analog outputs.

-iceeagle

news:do0Eh.3487$PL.1351@newsread4.news.pas.earthli nk.net...

mkr 04-14-2011 09:23 PM

You can find very cheap decoder on Ebay. Just search "5.1 decoder".