Velocity Reviews

-   -   PAN => NTSC? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394414-pan-ntsc.html)

(PeteCresswell) 02-21-2007 06:42 PM

PAN => NTSC?

I've got a PAL .ISO and a PAL burned DVD.

The DVD plays fine on a PC, but not on my bottom-of-the-line el-cheapo DVD
player. USA where the standard is NTSC.

Is there a way to convert either the .ISO or the DVD from PAL to NTSC?
--
PeteCresswell

Cari 02-21-2007 07:11 PM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

Visit www.videohelp.com, click on Hacks and see if there's an easy way to
make your USA DVD player to accept all regions and all formats. The usual
rule of thumb is that the cheaper the player, the easier they are to hack.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Doug Jacobs 02-21-2007 11:09 PM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

Cari <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote:
> Visit www.videohelp.com, click on Hacks and see if there's an easy way to
> make your USA DVD player to accept all regions and all formats. The usual
> rule of thumb is that the cheaper the player, the easier they are to hack.

That won't help him - the format of the video is incompatible.

Most DVD players will output PAL just fine, but your TV will need to be
able to display it.

Some DVD players can convert a PAL signal into NTSC, or you can get a
separate signal convertor.

Off the top of my head, can DVDShrink convert between PAL and NTSC? It's
free, so it might be worth a look.

--
Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

kaboom 02-22-2007 12:37 AM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:09:04 -0000, Doug Jacobs
<djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

>Cari <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote:
>> Visit www.videohelp.com, click on Hacks and see if there's an easy way to
>> make your USA DVD player to accept all regions and all formats. The usual
>> rule of thumb is that the cheaper the player, the easier they are to hack.

>That won't help him - the format of the video is incompatible.

**Since his burned discs probably have no region attached and they
won't play in his present DVD player, it probably doesn't do the
conversion anyway. It wouldn't hurt to look it up, though. However,
the site will direct him towards many decently-priced players, in the
US, that do convert PAL to NTSC on the fly and can be region hacked
with a few presses of the remote. It's a good investment if you like
and/or trade for R2 material. I've got three of them and they're
great.

kaboomie

(PeteCresswell) 02-22-2007 01:37 AM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

Per Doug Jacobs:
>Off the top of my head, can DVDShrink convert between PAL and NTSC? It's
>free, so it might be worth a look.

Does anybody recall what options to set in DvdShrink?

I see:
Edit|Preferences
Preferences
Target DVD size
Hid audio...
Automatically open VIDEO_TS....
Run analysis...
Preview
Enable...
Select audio preview...
Select directX video renderer:
System Default Renderer
VMR-9
VMR-7
Overlay mixer
Built-In Software Renderer
Output Files
Remove macrovision protection
Remove P_UOPs...
Remove layer break
Split VOB files...
Logical remapping
Stream Selections
Audio language and coding type
Subpicture language
Disable all subpicture except...
File I/O
File I/O Settings
Enable overlapped I/O...
Read 32KB blocks...
Check RPC2 drive region code when opening a DVD
Burn Settings
Enable burning with Nero
Always erase non-empty RW media...

I know nothing about this stuff... but none of those options
mention PAL/NTSC. Could the option be buried in some other
menu?
--
PeteCresswell

xeaglecrest@att.net 02-22-2007 03:00 PM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

> I know nothing about this stuff... but none of those options
> mention PAL/NTSC. Could the option be buried in some other
> menu?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Pete,
DVD Shrink will not do a PAL conversion. The easist way to do it is buy
a cheap DVD player that will play a PAL disc and output an NTSC signal.
You can buy them for less than $100. Here is a site that lists a bunch
of models: http://www.220giftcenter.com/ If you do not want to
purchase from them, get a list of models and head for your local
electronics store and see if they have one. You can also take your disc
with you, and see if the player will play it. This is the method I
used. The player I bought was a Toshiba. It states in the manual that
it is a NTSC player and will NOT play PAL disc... but it does.

Another way, if you have a TV out on your computer video card, is to
just record the output like you would any other TV program.
-Bill

Steve Roberts 02-26-2007 11:18 PM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:00:48 GMT, xeaglecrest@att.net wrote:

>> I know nothing about this stuff... but none of those options
>> mention PAL/NTSC. Could the option be buried in some other
>> menu?
>> --
>> PeteCresswell

>Pete,
>DVD Shrink will not do a PAL conversion. The easist way to do it is buy
>a cheap DVD player that will play a PAL disc and output an NTSC signal.
>You can buy them for less than $100. Here is a site that lists a bunch
>of models: http://www.220giftcenter.com/

It's worth pointing out that the quality of the conversions range from
average to appalling depending on the player. The best option is to
buy a TV that can display PAL video natively.

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

kaboom 02-26-2007 11:48 PM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:18:02 GMT, steveroberts@compuserve.com (Steve
Roberts) wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:00:48 GMT, xeaglecrest@att.net wrote:
>

>>> I know nothing about this stuff... but none of those options
>>> mention PAL/NTSC. Could the option be buried in some other
>>> menu?
>>> --
>>> PeteCresswell

>>Pete,
>>DVD Shrink will not do a PAL conversion. The easist way to do it is buy
>>a cheap DVD player that will play a PAL disc and output an NTSC signal.
>>You can buy them for less than $100. Here is a site that lists a bunch
>>of models: http://www.220giftcenter.com/

>It's worth pointing out that the quality of the conversions range from
>average to appalling depending on the player. The best option is to
>buy a TV that can display PAL video natively.

**That's not an option in the US. I think the best option, in the US,
is buying a player that converts PAL to NTSC on the fly. There are
several that do the job quite well and are priced decently.

I can vouch for the 220giftcenter as I've purchased a multisystem VCR
and converter from them. But I wouldn't bother with buying a DVD
player from them. It's better to go to videohelp.com and find a player
that will do the conversion and can have the region changed easily. I
bought a Magnavox 458 for $35-$40 at Circuit City and changed the
region with the remote. It converts PAL to NTSC on the fly. (It's
since been replaced with the 460.)

All that said, a friend of mine downloaded Elaine Cassidy's 'Ghost
Squad' (a UK series) and she said that she converted it to NTSC with
program on her PC. She sent me the 8 episodes and they look really
great but I don't know what she used to do it.

kaboomie

xeaglecrest@att.net 02-27-2007 02:06 PM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

kaboom wrote:

> All that said, a friend of mine downloaded Elaine Cassidy's 'Ghost
> Squad' (a UK series) and she said that she converted it to NTSC with
> program on her PC. She sent me the 8 episodes and they look really
> great but I don't know what she used to do it.
>
> kaboomie

If you can find out what program your friend used, please post it.
Every
conversion program I have tried did not work very well.
-Bill

kaboom 02-27-2007 08:14 PM

Re: PAN => NTSC?

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:06:39 GMT, xeaglecrest@att.net wrote:

>kaboom wrote:
>>
>> All that said, a friend of mine downloaded Elaine Cassidy's 'Ghost
>> Squad' (a UK series) and she said that she converted it to NTSC with
>> program on her PC. She sent me the 8 episodes and they look really
>> great but I don't know what she used to do it.
>>
>> kaboomie

>If you can find out what program your friend used, please post it.
>Every conversion program I have tried did not work very well.

**She writes that it was Nero Vision but didn't give me any other
info. I think it was a newer or newest version, also.

kaboomie