Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394354-how-to-buy-dvd-in-usa-for-europe-what-format.html)

vunet.us@gmail.com 02-05-2007 08:28 PM

How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format?

Hello,
I live in the USA and someone from France asked me to buy a DVD movie
as a gift. I know that France has a different format for DVDs (Region
2 compared to American region 1).
Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?
Thank you.

Kimba W. Lion 02-05-2007 08:37 PM

Re: How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format?

vunet.us@gmail.com wrote:

>Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?

If it has to be Region 2, I would go to amazon.co.uk or amazon.fr. Have them
ship it to your friend.

vunet.us@gmail.com 02-05-2007 08:46 PM

On Feb 5, 3:37 pm, Kimba W. Lion <KimbaWLion> wrote:
> vunet...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?

> If it has to be Region 2, I would go to amazon.co.uk or amazon.fr. Have them
> ship it to your friend.

it does sound like an idea but I am afraid i have to buy it here, in
US. it's a gift, you see...
does it look like i have no other options? do they sell dvds region 2
in USA?

John Howells 02-05-2007 10:45 PM

Re: How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format?

<vunet.us@gmail.com> wrote

> I live in the USA and someone from France asked me to buy a DVD movie
> as a gift. I know that France has a different format for DVDs (Region
> 2 compared to American region 1).
> Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?

Fundamentally you can't, as a US retailer would have no reason to supply
such disks to a market of R1 players unable to play them, where only an
extremely tiny minority of enthusiasts have all region players. There are a
very limited number of R0 disks, which means they will work in a player for
any region, but they can be difficult to determine, as many such are
nevertheless reported as R1 on the box. Some more recent 'catalogue' titles
(such as Adventures of Robin Hood, and Grand Prix) are marked as R1 to R4
inclusive on the disk, but reported as R1 on the box.

As already noted, your best bet is Amazon in the UK, France or Germany.

John Howells

Jonathan Brisby 02-06-2007 07:52 AM

Re: How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format?

Go to http://www.happyhunter.com/ and click the US flag. It'll then
let you search sites for your movie so it can be shipped to the USA.
Then you can wrap it with b-day paper or whatever the event and send
it on it's way. I get UK DVDs like this all the time. Plus you can
even search for a particular Region Code or all.

Cheers!

Kimba W. Lion 02-06-2007 01:38 PM

Jonathan Brisby <underthe@rosebush.com> wrote:

>Go to http://www.happyhunter.com/ and click the US flag. It'll then
>let you search sites for your movie so it can be shipped to the USA.
>Then you can wrap it with b-day paper or whatever the event and send
>it on it's way. I get UK DVDs like this all the time. Plus you can
>even search for a particular Region Code or all.

If gift wrap is the issue, it'd still be cheaper and faster to have Amazon
wrap it and ship it than to ship it overseas twice.

SoHillsGuy 02-06-2007 03:00 PM

Re: How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format?

On Feb 5, 3:37 pm, Kimba W. Lion <KimbaWLion> wrote:
> vunet...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Where and how can I buy the correct format DVD in US for French users?

> If it has to be Region 2, I would go to amazon.co.uk or amazon.fr. Have them
> ship it to your friend.

I'd also suggest going with amazon.co.uk. They are one of the few
online retailers who actually bother to drop the VAT in sales outside
of the UK. So, even after you click on a price to place an order, it
will end up being lower on the online shopping cart page.

Sean Black 02-06-2007 03:50 PM

Re: How to Buy DVD in USA for Europe? What Format?

In article <1170707316.673346.85090@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>,
vunet.us@gmail.com writes
>Hello,
>I live in the USA and someone from France asked me to buy a DVD movie
>as a gift. I know that France has a different format for DVDs (Region
>2 compared to American region 1).

Are you sure they aren't already aware of this and already have a
multi-region player?

If they have just buy a standard US region 1 DVD.

Certainly most people in the UK have easy access to multi-region
players, I would imagine France would be the same.

--
Sean Black