Velocity Reviews

-   -   Video format help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394346-video-format-help.html)

Laphan 02-04-2007 04:13 PM

Video format help

Hi All

Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
video.

I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the file
wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
All very messy.

I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI was
the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
doesn't everybody simply use WMV?

Is AVI really MPEG-4?

I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.

Any pointers you can give to fill the huge gaps in my knowledge would be
really appreciated.

Thanks

Neck & Red 02-04-2007 04:31 PM

Re: Video format help

"Laphan" <info@PleaseDontSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi All
>
> Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
> video.
>
> I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the file
> wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
> All very messy.
>
> I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI
> was
> the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
> doesn't everybody simply use WMV?
>
> Is AVI really MPEG-4?
>
> I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
> these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.

DVD is Mpeg2

Laphan 02-04-2007 05:11 PM

Re: Video format help

"Neck & Red" <neckred@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:vTnxh.18269$pQ3.15682@newsread4.news.pas.eart hlink.net...

"Laphan" <info@PleaseDontSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi All
>
> Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
> video.
>
> I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the file
> wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
> All very messy.
>
> I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI
> was
> the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
> doesn't everybody simply use WMV?
>
> Is AVI really MPEG-4?
>
> I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
> these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.

DVD is Mpeg2

----

Hi Neck

Thanks for coming back to me.

If DVD is Mpeg2 then whats the benefit of saving to AVI or WMV?

Once I've done the editing in moviemaker the finished article is going to go
onto a DVD so is it best to save to mpeg2?

Rgds

SoCalCommie 02-04-2007 06:38 PM

Re: Video format help

AVI is an uncompressed video format, that's why the file is so huge. MPEG-4
is the latest compresson scheme (2x to 4x more compression than MPEG-2).
MPEG-2 compression is better than MPEG-1 without adding more visible
artifacts.

TTUL... John

Captain Midnight 02-04-2007 09:13 PM

Re: Video format help

"Laphan" <info@PleaseDontSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi All
>
> Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
> video.
>
> I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the file
> wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
> All very messy.
>
> I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI

was
> the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
> doesn't everybody simply use WMV?
>
> Is AVI really MPEG-4?
>
> I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
> these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.
>
> Any pointers you can give to fill the huge gaps in my knowledge would be
> really appreciated.
>
> Thanks

AVI is a container file. Until recently it usually held an uncompressed
file. Obviously that's the CoDec type you used. You have a larger file
without gaining any quality. Newer MPG4 variants use the AVI container too.
They're slightly more efficient than MPG2 but aren't very compatible.

AFAIC MPG2 is the top standard because it mostly what's used in DVDs. It's
also what's used in digital TV in the US. Some older AVI and MPG1 is in the
DVD standard but is seldom used.

I use MPG2 almost exclusively and convert to other formats when needed. If
you use something else it's much more likely you'll have to convert it to
MPG2 than the other way around. To me the small increase in efficiency of
the newer formats aren't worth the hassle.

Stuart 02-05-2007 01:13 AM

Re: Video format help

> "Neck & Red" <neckred@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:vTnxh.18269$pQ3.15682@newsread4.news.pas.eart hlink.net...
>
> "Laphan" <info@PleaseDontSpam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Could somebody please advise me as to which is the best file format for
>> video.
>>
>> I've saved some DVD content as AVI and it created a huge file and the
>> file
>> wouldn't play unless the right codec was installed in my friend's laptop.
>> All very messy.
>>
>> I've tried WMV, which did create a smaller file size, but I thought AVI
>> was
>> the standard? If WMV makes smaller files and no codec issues then why
>> doesn't everybody simply use WMV?
>>
>> Is AVI really MPEG-4?
>>
>> I've seen that I can save a file as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and I didn't know if
>> these would be better formats, ie compatibility and file size wise.

> DVD is Mpeg2
>
> ----
>
> Hi Neck
>
> Thanks for coming back to me.
>
> If DVD is Mpeg2 then whats the benefit of saving to AVI or WMV?
>
> Once I've done the editing in moviemaker the finished article is going to
> go
> onto a DVD so is it best to save to mpeg2?
>
> Rgds

" If DVD is Mpeg2 then what's the benefit of saving to AVI or WMV?"

No benefit at all as both are compressed formats (I'm assuming by avi you
mean DivX or Xvid movies you might download) and during the process of DVD
authoring they will be re-encoded to mpeg2 (VOB format). The only benefit
these formats have is they are smaller than mpeg and take less time to
download but at the cost of quality. If your aim is to play back on a PC and
you have a limited hard disk capacity then DivX or Xvid or WMV are
reasonable choices. If you making a DVD then just copy the vob files off
the original assuming they are not protected.