Velocity Reviews

-   -   wrv54G linksys router VPN does not work - even linksys quick vpn client (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t39417-wrv54g-linksys-router-vpn-does-not-work-even-linksys-quick-vpn-client.html)

spencerwill.com 05-26-2005 02:29 AM

wrv54G linksys router VPN does not work - even linksys quick vpn client

do not buy this item if you want to use VPN

http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-3265_7-...69&ctype=msgid

thanks,
spencer

dt1649651@yahoo.com 05-26-2005 12:40 PM

Re: wrv54G linksys router VPN does not work - even linksys quick vpn client

spencerwill.com wrote:
> do not buy this item if you want to use VPN
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-3265_7-...69&ctype=msgid

Agree and disagree about the opinion on the link.

Agree: talking to techsupport often takes long time. But three hours is
not very bad. It took me several days with mutliple calls to my cell
carrier for a phone problem and finally the answer was on a newsgroup,
not techsupport of the carrier.

Disagree: I just made my wrv54G work since yesderday. It tooks me 8
hours in total to make it work, but 7 of those 8 hours were really on
my Cisco router : I set it wrong so the Linksys could not connect to.

DT

Peter 05-26-2005 06:44 PM

Re: wrv54G linksys router VPN does not work - even linksys quick vpn client

"dt1649651@yahoo.com" <dt1649651@yahoo.com> wrote

>Agree: talking to techsupport often takes long time. But three hours is
>not very bad. It took me several days with mutliple calls to my cell
>carrier for a phone problem and finally the answer was on a newsgroup,
>not techsupport of the carrier.

I would agree with that view, on the basis that these products are so
cheap that if they don't work out of the box it is reasonable to
expect users to return them (if they can) or discard them (if they
can't).

Three hours is a very long time on the phone!

A great deal of today's IT equipment is sold on that basis, as there
is no real tech support.

I've spent many hours on the phone to Linksys "tech support"; the
unfortunate person sitting on the phone in the Phillipines can only
offer replies out of a script with ZERO understanding of anything, and
their ultimate suggestion is usually along the lines of "reformat the
hard disk on everything and reinstall all software". I suppose one
should be grateful, since this "support" is more than most cheap IT
vendors offer. Nothing from Linksys I ever had a problem with was ever
resolved with their TS, and the equipment was either chucked away,
returned, or used in some other app where it worked.

At the prices one pays, no vendor can afford to provide any tech
support.

The best single thing anybody can do these days is not even try to use
any product out of the box before upgrading the firmware to the latest
version from the website.