Velocity Reviews

-   -   Verification (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t394029-verification.html)

Citizen Bob 12-09-2006 02:49 PM

Verification

How can I verify a burn with Nero without having to re-burn it?

--

"Yet the legislative being only a fiduciary power to act for certain
ends, there remains still in the people a supreme power to remove or

Mike Fields 12-09-2006 03:16 PM

Re: Verification

"Citizen Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> How can I verify a burn with Nero without having to re-burn it?

In version 5 of Nero, there are two parts to the answer.
If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
that. Unfortunately, if you are burning from an ISO, it
does not have that check box (or at least I have not been
able to find it). For burning ISO's, you might give the
free imgburn a shot -- works well and has the verify option.
http://www.imgburn.com/

mikey

Citizen Bob 12-09-2006 05:26 PM

Re: Verification

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:16:28 -0800, "Mike Fields"
<spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

>If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
>in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
>that.

I use that when I burn a disc. I want to verify I have already burned.

The reason is because sometimes Nero reports a bad verification
because the disc is slightly dirty. So I clean the disc and now I want
to re-verify what has already been burned.

>Unfortunately, if you are burning from an ISO, it
>does not have that check box (or at least I have not been
>able to find it). For burning ISO's, you might give the
>free imgburn a shot -- works well and has the verify option.
>http://www.imgburn.com/

I use DVD Decrypter for ISOs it has a verify. The same thing happens
sometimes with a dirty disc so I would like to be able to re-verify
only with that application too.

You can use WinRAR to extract an ISO. The ISO file format is just
another lossless compression archive like the ZIP format.

Stuart Miller 12-09-2006 06:22 PM

Re: Verification

"Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
news:4MqdnVPZo7_RTufYnZ2dnUVZ_tmknZ2d@comcast.com. ..

> "Citizen Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
>> How can I verify a burn with Nero without having to re-burn it?
>>

> In version 5 of Nero, there are two parts to the answer.
> If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
> in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
> that. Unfortunately, if you are burning from an ISO, it
> does not have that check box (or at least I have not been
> able to find it). For burning ISO's, you might give the
> free imgburn a shot -- works well and has the verify option.
> http://www.imgburn.com/
>
> mikey

Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels. If your
folders are nested, say, 10 levels deep (which windows does sometimes) Nero
will only 'see' the first eight, and ignore the rest. Because it does not
see them, it does not copy them and when it verifies, does not know that
they are missing. The first thing I do after burning a backup is compare
'properties' for file count and total written size.

One day I will find or write a little recursive script to compare file sizes
and contents.

Stuart

Mike Fields 12-09-2006 07:24 PM

Re: Verification

"Stuart Miller" <stuart_miller@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
> news:4MqdnVPZo7_RTufYnZ2dnUVZ_tmknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>
>> "Citizen Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
>>> How can I verify a burn with Nero without having to re-burn it?
>>>

>> In version 5 of Nero, there are two parts to the answer.
>> If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
>> in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
>> that. Unfortunately, if you are burning from an ISO, it
>> does not have that check box (or at least I have not been
>> able to find it). For burning ISO's, you might give the
>> free imgburn a shot -- works well and has the verify option.
>> http://www.imgburn.com/
>>
>> mikey
>>

> Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
> It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels. If
> your folders are nested, say, 10 levels deep (which windows does
> sometimes) Nero will only 'see' the first eight, and ignore the rest.
> Because it does not see them, it does not copy them and when it
> verifies, does not know that they are missing. The first thing I do
> after burning a backup is compare 'properties' for file count and
> total written size.
>
> One day I will find or write a little recursive script to compare file
> sizes and contents.
>
> Stuart

Interesting -- I was not aware of that "feature" (although it is not
just a "windows thing") - take a look at the man page for tar in the
UNIX world - somewhere in there it mentions path name lengths being
an issue also (and I have been bitten by that one).

mikey

Mike Fields 12-09-2006 07:31 PM

Re: Verification

> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:16:28 -0800, "Mike Fields"
> <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
>
>>If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
>>in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
>>that.

> I use that when I burn a disc. I want to verify I have already burned.
>
> The reason is because sometimes Nero reports a bad verification
> because the disc is slightly dirty. So I clean the disc and now I want
> to re-verify what has already been burned.

Ah, I hadn't understood it that way. I can see possibly being able
to verify an ISO, but not a data DVD/CD after the fact in general.
Many people (me included) will drag folders from several places
onto the Nero "structure" to burn, so after the fact, nothing would
know where to look for the various folder sources. If you are
just copying a tree of some sort, check out something like
BeyondCompare (not free, but very good), but for when the
chunks come from various locations, I don't know how you
would do it.

On the other hand, you may not need to verify the files as
much as scan the disk for read errors. CDSpeed, DVDInfoPro
and others will do that for you. If it shows no errors, you should
be fine since a bad sector should give a CRC error. Of course
if the data being fed to the burner was bad, then the sector could
read fine, but still have the wrong data although I expect that is
not very common.

mikey

Robert Roland 12-09-2006 10:46 PM

Re: Verification

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:22:24 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
<stuart_miller@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
>It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels.

That's a compatibility option. Select "Allow path depth of more than 8
directories".
--
RoRo

Quanta 12-09-2006 11:31 PM

Re: Verification

"Robert Roland" <fake@ddress.no> wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:22:24 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
> <stuart_miller@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
>>It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels.

> That's a compatibility option. Select "Allow path depth of more than 8
> directories".
> --
> RoRo

Correct. Bob is looking to trash Nero. Failed.

Stuart Miller 12-10-2006 05:05 AM

Re: Verification

"Robert Roland" <fake@ddress.no> wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:22:24 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
> <stuart_miller@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
>>It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels.

> That's a compatibility option. Select "Allow path depth of more than 8
> directories".
> --
> RoRo

Thank you - I stand corrected on that.

I had not seen that option, so will check for it next data dvd I burn.
I know there are at least two different file systems for dvd's, perhaps this
issue is addressed by one or the other

Stuart

Stuart Miller 12-10-2006 05:11 AM

Re: Verification

> "Citizen Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:16:28 -0800, "Mike Fields"
>> <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
>>
>>>If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
>>>in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
>>>that.

>> I use that when I burn a disc. I want to verify I have already burned.
>>
>> The reason is because sometimes Nero reports a bad verification
>> because the disc is slightly dirty. So I clean the disc and now I want
>> to re-verify what has already been burned.
>>

> Ah, I hadn't understood it that way. I can see possibly being able
> to verify an ISO, but not a data DVD/CD after the fact in general.
> Many people (me included) will drag folders from several places
> onto the Nero "structure" to burn, so after the fact, nothing would
> know where to look for the various folder sources. If you are
> just copying a tree of some sort, check out something like
> BeyondCompare (not free, but very good), but for when the
> chunks come from various locations, I don't know how you
> would do it.

This one is a matter of procedure.
First I copy all the data I want on the dvd into a workspace, and verify
filesize and file count
Then I have a valid complete 'original' to compare the burned disc to.
Then burn this workspace onto the dvd, verify, and delete workspace.
This also make the copy go more smoothly when some or all of the data comes
acoss my LAN - I don't want network issues messing up a burn.

Stuart