Velocity Reviews

-   -   DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t393961-deepdiscountdvd-com-anybody-else-finds-a-high-percentage-of-defective.html)

Jaime M. de Castellvi 11-29-2006 03:35 AM

DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective?

Don't get me wrong. I love Deep Discount DVD. I love their
promptness, I love their service and, although I may not always relish
the effectiveness of their web site's search engine, I particularly
love their biannual 20% off sales. I try to take advantage of these
in order to build up my collection of box sets, but I also try to
limit the size of these orders to what I can both afford and review
before the exchange period expires (technically, at least).

In practice, they have been understanding and willing to exchange
defective items even if I had gone slightly over the exchange period
(plus, with mail being the way it is, there is always a slight area of
uncertainty there), and they've never given me a problem.

What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.

In my second order, I run into a problem with a disk in one of the box
sets. They again exchanged it, no problem. Except that the exchange
set had a defective disk too. They exchanged that also. Third time
was a charm.

I recently placed my third and fourth orders. Just got reviewing a
DVD box set, no problems. Got started on a second one... bang!
Another screen-freezing defective disk.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I always purchase box sets and
one single bad disk will usually render the entire box set bad, but
does anybody else find what seems an unusual proportion of defective
disks in their purchases from them? Whenever I run into a problem I
immediately wipe the disk outwards from the center with special DVD
cleaning tissues to ensure that the disk really has a problem and it
is not a mere dust issue, but even so...

On another note, what are everybody's favorite DVD cleaning products?
Also, are any of those DVD/CD repair devices that retail for about $40
actually any good? I got the one from Memorex a couple of years ago
or so and have not been particularly impressed with it. Even
following the instructions carefully, it seems to consistently do more
smudging and staining than fixing.

Cheers,

Jaime

Captain Infinity 11-29-2006 04:22 AM

Re: DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective?

Once Upon A Time Jaime M. de Castellvi wrote:

>What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
>high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
>out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
>screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.
>
>In my second order, I run into a problem with a disk in one of the box
>sets. They again exchanged it, no problem. Except that the exchange
>set had a defective disk too. They exchanged that also. Third time
>was a charm.
>
>I recently placed my third and fourth orders. Just got reviewing a
>DVD box set, no problems. Got started on a second one... bang!
>Another screen-freezing defective disk.

Maybe it's your player.

**
Captain Infinity

Starz_Kid 11-29-2006 05:01 AM

"Jaime M. de Castellvi" <3cjmd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong. I love Deep Discount DVD. I love their
> Cheers,
>
> Jaime

****** Hello Jaime, I would consider getting an up to date DVD player. With
the problem that you are having, I would suspect the DVD player...!

Starz_Kid...

Brian Henderson 11-29-2006 06:52 AM

Re: DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective?

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
<3cjmd@comcast.net> wrote:

>What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
>high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
>out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
>screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.

I've been ordering from them for a long time and I have never once
gotten anything defective. There was a time when both my wife and I
accidentally ordered the same thing because we didn't know the other
was going to do it and DDDVD took the extra back, no questions asked.

Michael Bowker 11-29-2006 07:04 AM

Brian Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
> <3cjmd@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
>> high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
>> out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
>> screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.

> I've been ordering from them for a long time and I have never once
> gotten anything defective. There was a time when both my wife and I
> accidentally ordered the same thing because we didn't know the other
> was going to do it and DDDVD took the extra back, no questions asked.

I also have been ordering from them for a long time and never got
anything defective. Never returned anything. Good to know that they're
good about it, just in case. :)

Neck & Red 11-29-2006 12:54 PM

Re: DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective?

"Jaime M. de Castellvi" <3cjmd@comcast.net> wrote in message

> What I find a little frustrating is what to me seems an unfortunately
> high incidence of defectives. In my first order over a year ago, four
> out of the five box sets I purchased were fine but one had a freezing
> screen disk. I got it exchanged, no problem.
>
> In my second order, I run into a problem with a disk in one of the box
> sets. They again exchanged it, no problem. Except that the exchange
> set had a defective disk too. They exchanged that also. Third time
> was a charm.

Sounds like it's time for a new DVD player. The discs are, and always have
been, just fine.

JoeBloe 11-29-2006 01:27 PM

<3cjmd@comcast.net> Gave us:

> Got started on a second one... bang!
>Another screen-freezing defective disk.

Do you restart the disk to see if the "freeze" occurs in the same
place each time?

>Maybe it has to do with the fact that I always purchase box sets and
>one single bad disk will usually render the entire box set bad, but
>does anybody else find what seems an unusual proportion of defective
>disks in their purchases from them?

What brand and model of player do you use? Also give its age and
the region you are in as environmental conditions are also a factor.

I suspect your player more than the discs as getting a functioning
disc on a subsequent set does not mean that the other disc was bad if
your player is in marginal calibration.

JoeBloe 11-29-2006 01:30 PM

Re: DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective?

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
<3cjmd@comcast.net> Gave us:

> Whenever I run into a problem I
>immediately wipe the disk outwards from the center with special DVD
>cleaning tissues to ensure that the disk really has a problem and it
>is not a mere dust issue, but even so...

NEVER touch the surface of an optical disc. EVER!

You can hold your brand new discs up and LOOK at them, and clearly
see that the SURFACE is defect free. Dust is not an issue here as
they are new discs. So if an embedded defect is in a disc, you are
certainly not going to be able to wipe it away.

JoeBloe 11-29-2006 01:34 PM

Re: DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective?

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:35:07 -0500, Jaime M. de Castellvi
<3cjmd@comcast.net> Gave us:

>On another note, what are everybody's favorite DVD cleaning products?

First rule of optical discs:

The easiest way to keep a disc clean is to *never* touch the optical
surface to begin with! It is just like a camera lens except that it
can be scratched by a single particle of dust. "Cleaning" a disc is a
detrimental process.

There are only two places for a disc. The disc tray of a
player/reader, and the case it came in.

Arthur Engh 11-29-2006 03:12 PM

Re: DeepDiscountDVD.com: Anybody Else Finds a High Percentage of Defective?

> You can hold your brand new discs up and LOOK at them, and clearly
> see that the SURFACE is defect free. Dust is not an issue here as
> they are new discs. So if an embedded defect is in a disc, you are
> certainly not going to be able to wipe it away.

Hold the disc up in front of a light bulb. If you see substantial holes
where the light shines through you have a problem.