Velocity Reviews

-   -   What if you *have* to use Skype? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t393442-what-if-you-have-to-use-skype.html)

Chris 12-06-2006 10:51 AM

What if you *have* to use Skype?

I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
- and no-one I know uses anything else.
So there isn't much choice really.

Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
Or is there a better newsgroup?
If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:

What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
Netgear Wi-Fi?
VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
Nokia 770 or 870?
Or just sit in front of the computer?
--
Chris

Gordon Henderson 12-06-2006 11:06 AM

Re: What if you *have* to use Skype?

In article <BdYGEtCdCqdFFwnl@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
>- and no-one I know uses anything else.
>So there isn't much choice really.

Of-course there is. You fall-back to good old PSTN, then if they aren't
near their home/work phone or mobile, or don't have a SkypeIn service,
then you can't call them. You won't get free calls, you'll have to
pay for them in some way, either with a fixed monthly charge with an
"unlimited" or capped calling plan (eg. X minutes included in the plan),
or per minute, depending on the company you are dealing with for your
PSTN calls. (eg. BT, or a mobile company)

At least with BT you get a reasonable guarantee of service - you get
zero with Skype.

Or you could re-educate them.

>Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?

I dunno. Skype is a voip, it's just not based on any published standards
so interoperability with standards based systems is hard, and and where
such bridges do exist they may well be proprietary and not free.

>Or is there a better newsgroup?
>If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>
>What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>Netgear Wi-Fi?
>VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>Nokia 770 or 870?
>Or just sit in front of the computer?

Who knows. The answer is probably "what you're most comfortable with".

Gordon

www.simcard.me.uk 12-06-2006 12:53 PM

"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it -
>and no-one I know uses anything else.
> So there isn't much choice really.
>
> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
> Or is there a better newsgroup?
> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>
> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
> Netgear Wi-Fi?
> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
> Nokia 770 or 870?
> Or just sit in front of the computer?
> --
> Chris

Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone on sale on amazon uk

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim

alexd 12-06-2006 05:46 PM

Chris wrote:

> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
> Or is there a better newsgroup?

Skype is VoIP, this is a VoIP newsgroup. If anyone tells you otherwise, tell
them to **** off.

> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>
> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
> Netgear Wi-Fi?
> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
> Nokia 770 or 870?
> Or just sit in front of the computer?

That's a difficult question to answer, as it's really a matter of personal
preference. If you spend all your time on the PC, don't waste money on a
Skype handset. [I was amused to see in the Misco catalogue "FREE internet
phone calls!", next to a 138 Skype handset]. If you need to use Skype on
the go, buy a Skype handset. If you do a lot of stuff on the hoof, perhaps
a PDA would make more sense, as you can have Skype, SIP, email, instant
messaging clients et al in one device, for not a lot more than the cost of
a single-purpose Skype handset

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
17:34:07 up 16 days, 21:16, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.02

Chris 12-06-2006 05:50 PM

Re: What if you *have* to use Skype?

In article <1165409594.14689.0@proxy01.news.clara.net>,
www.simcard.me.uk <webmaster@tariff.me.uk> writes
>"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it -
>>and no-one I know uses anything else.
>> So there isn't much choice really.
>> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
>> Or is there a better newsgroup?
>> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>> Netgear Wi-Fi?
>> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>> Nokia 770 or 870?
>> Or just sit in front of the computer?

>Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone on sale on amazon uk

Thanks for your reply.
That looks good.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11...t_skype_first/
A bit expensive compared with the VoSky.
And I don't mind leaving a computer on.
But - is it good?
Have you tried it?
--
Chris

Chris 12-06-2006 05:55 PM

Re: What if you *have* to use Skype?

In article <1379258.qi4DKraNRX@ale.cx>, alexd <look@my.sig> writes
>Chris wrote:
>
>> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
>> Or is there a better newsgroup?

>Skype is VoIP, this is a VoIP newsgroup. If anyone tells you otherwise, tell
>them to **** off.
>
>> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>>
>> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>> Netgear Wi-Fi?
>> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>> Nokia 770 or 870?
>> Or just sit in front of the computer?

>That's a difficult question to answer, as it's really a matter of personal
>preference. If you spend all your time on the PC, don't waste money on a
>Skype handset. [I was amused to see in the Misco catalogue "FREE internet
>phone calls!", next to a 138 Skype handset]. If you need to use Skype on
>the go, buy a Skype handset. If you do a lot of stuff on the hoof, perhaps
>a PDA would make more sense, as you can have Skype, SIP, email, instant
>messaging clients et al in one device, for not a lot more than the cost of
>a single-purpose Skype handset

Thanks. I am always at home - not on the hoof at all.
But it's nice, when using my ordinary DECT phone, to be able to wander
round the house, make a cup of tea etc.
The Nokia 770 looks good because it would be an ebook reader as well.
Any thoughts on that?
And does it actually do Skype?

--
Chris

Chris 12-06-2006 05:58 PM

Re: What if you *have* to use Skype?

In article <el6883$nmb$1@lion.drogon.net>, Gordon Henderson
<gordon@lion.drogon.net> writes
>Who knows.

Hmmm ... I hoped to contact someone who *does* actually know!
<grin>
--
Chris

www.simcard.me.uk 12-06-2006 06:48 PM

> In article <1165409594.14689.0@proxy01.news.clara.net>, www.simcard.me.uk
> <webmaster@tariff.me.uk> writes
>>"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>>>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses
>>>it -
>>>and no-one I know uses anything else.
>>> So there isn't much choice really.
>>> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>>> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
>>> Or is there a better newsgroup?
>>> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>>> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>>> Netgear Wi-Fi?
>>> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>>> Nokia 770 or 870?
>>> Or just sit in front of the computer?

>>Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone on sale on amazon uk

> Thanks for your reply.
> That looks good.
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11...t_skype_first/
> A bit expensive compared with the VoSky.
> And I don't mind leaving a computer on.
> But - is it good?
> Have you tried it?
> --
> Chris

Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone i used a few times seams ok to me. I
only just got it as Christmas present for someone so not gave it full test
yet.

Gordon Henderson 12-06-2006 06:53 PM

In article <jvPmWgDIQwdFFwA5@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>The Nokia 770 looks good because it would be an ebook reader as well.
>Any thoughts on that?
>And does it actually do Skype?

I have a 770. There are a couple of closed SIP clients for it (Gtalk,
Gizmo) I don't think there is a Skype client for it - and not sure if
there will be either.

But I don't think I'd like to use it to talk into anyway - you can plug in
headphones, but not a microphone, so have to use the built-in one, then
you'll look as silly as someone using a blackberry :)

Gordon

Chris 12-06-2006 07:29 PM

Re: What if you *have* to use Skype?

In article <el73k2$s4d$1@lion.drogon.net>, Gordon Henderson
<gordon@lion.drogon.net> writes
>In article <jvPmWgDIQwdFFwA5@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>>The Nokia 770 looks good because it would be an ebook reader as well.
>>Any thoughts on that?
>>And does it actually do Skype?

>I have a 770. There are a couple of closed SIP clients for it (Gtalk,
>Gizmo) I don't think there is a Skype client for it - and not sure if
>there will be either.
>But I don't think I'd like to use it to talk into anyway - you can plug in
>headphones, but not a microphone, so have to use the built-in one, then
>you'll look as silly as someone using a blackberry :)

No-one is going to see me - so that's not a problem!
I would have expected Skype to run on it - because it uses a Linux OS -
and I thought there was a Skype version for Linux?
Although it might be a bit of a pain if it's not packaged for that
particular distro.
I've just found all sorts of rumours about a successor to the 770, going
by the catchy name of 780, which gives me yet another reason to defer a
decision!
And I was very attracted to the 770.
Do you like yours?
--