Velocity Reviews

-   -   Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t393274-grandstream-ht-496-any-thoughts.html)

Ron Barnett 10-27-2006 07:27 AM

Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts?

Hello All,

I mailed the group a few days ago about problems with Comwave - and got a
zero response so maybe no-one has used them. - They are a Canadian supplier
after all.

The hardware I'm trying to get going is a Grandstream Handy Tone-495 and
these do seem to be useable on any SIP system.

The problem seems to be rooted in the box's ability (or lack of) to access a
STUN server.
The box does not detect its NAT position properly and mis-identifies itself
as being on an open internet connection. I have fooled that putting the box
in a DMZ which was enough to get it to reload it's firmware from Comwave and
I can now place calls, but not receive them !
The box now behaves the same (call out is OK but no receive) either in a
normal NAT location or in a DMZ

Anyone seen this type of problem before - any thoughts, solutions ?

TIA,

Ron Barnett
IT Support for Business
www.rjbarnett.co.uk

For labellers and labelling supplies visit www.labelzrus.co.uk

Ron Barnett 10-28-2006 12:10 PM

Re: Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts? - Fixed

"Ron Barnett" <ronREMOVE@REMOVERJBarnett.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I mailed the group a few days ago about problems with Comwave - and got a
> zero response so maybe no-one has used them. - They are a Canadian
> supplier after all.
>
> The hardware I'm trying to get going is a Grandstream Handy Tone-495 and
> these do seem to be useable on any SIP system.
>
> The problem seems to be rooted in the box's ability (or lack of) to access
> a STUN server.
> The box does not detect its NAT position properly and mis-identifies
> itself as being on an open internet connection. I have fooled that
> putting the box in a DMZ which was enough to get it to reload it's
> firmware from Comwave and I can now place calls, but not receive them !
> The box now behaves the same (call out is OK but no receive) either in a
> normal NAT location or in a DMZ
>
> Anyone seen this type of problem before - any thoughts, solutions ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ron Barnett
> IT Support for Business
> www.rjbarnett.co.uk

> For labellers and labelling supplies visit www.labelzrus.co.uk

And then I discovered that is works much better if you actually use the
right phone number to call the box.

All OK now

Ron

JJ 12-21-2006 05:37 PM

Re: Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts?

I recently moved from YAK VOIP to comwave because YAK new owner (poor
him) decided to abandan their VOIP service by end of 2006. I had been
using YAK for 2+ years I am very satisfied with their service and
pirce, many friends of mine are YAK customers as well.

The phone adapter (LINKSYS PAP2-NA) I received from YAK could not work
with comwave (no receiving, dial out only), althought I previously was
told that it would be fine for Comwave service Tech guy from comwave
worked with me (another tech guy) for more than 4 hours in remote
control session and did not find a solution. So they decided to send me
another iphone adapter (50$ + 12$ shipping).

Two days later I called home from my office as attempt, it suprised me
that call receiving was working well. (I did not make any
changes/reboot). So I called comwave to stop sending me the new iphone
adapter. But I am not sure this will last forever or just by accident.