Velocity Reviews

-   -   DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t393273-draytek-vigor-2700v-any-good.html)

Phil 10-26-2006 05:53 PM

DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

I was thinking of buying the DrayTek Vigor 2700V as my current router is
playing up. Has anyone got one of these and if so how have you found it
specifically when using with VOIP but also in general.
Broadband Buyer are charging £118.44 inc VAT is this a good price or is
there anywhere else selling it cheaper?
Thanks in advance.

Martin² 10-27-2006 01:49 AM

Re: DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

Have had years of very perfect service from Draytek 2200We and now 2600VG,
the VoiP works fine.
Not easy to find and master the QoS settings, but that's probably different
on the 2700V.
Zoodex sells new 2700V for £103 +£10p&p on Ebay, but I have no experience of
them.
Maybe you can get BbB to price match ?
Regards,
Martin

Adam Lipscombe 10-27-2006 08:41 AM

Re: DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

I tried a 2800v recently, but wasn't impressed.

There can be quite large differences in the the sync speeds that the modems are able to achieve,
depending on chipset, firmware etc.

The Vigor was not a good performer - it would only sync at 60% of the speed of my existing router.

(My line is 6 km and is quite noisy, and I imagine there would be less of a difference on a
short/quiet line.)

The VOIP functionality looked well thought out though.

Adam

Gordon Henderson 10-27-2006 08:55 AM

Re: DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

In article <1161938498.6290.0@proxy02.news.clara.net>,
Adam Lipscombe <adam.lipscombe@qucs.co.uk> wrote:

>I tried a 2800v recently, but wasn't impressed.
>
>There can be quite large differences in the the sync speeds that the modems are able to achieve,
>depending on chipset, firmware etc.
>
>The Vigor was not a good performer - it would only sync at 60% of the speed of my existing router.
>
>(My line is 6 km and is quite noisy, and I imagine there would be less of a difference on a
>short/quiet line.)

I've no experience of the 2800's, but a lot (of good experience) with
the 2600's and Draytek have a separate firmware for use on noisy/long
lines which I've used with good results. Maybe they have the same for
the 2800's?

Gordon

Adam Lipscombe 10-27-2006 10:07 AM

Re: DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

Yes I tried all the flavours of firmware, but there was no improvement.

Draytek support were good, but basically said there nowt else to do after I had tried them all.

My best guess is that its probably down to different chipsets, with the one in my existing router
being better in this context.

Adam

Richard Oliver 10-27-2006 10:13 AM

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I've no experience of the 2800's, but a lot (of good experience) with
> the 2600's and Draytek have a separate firmware for use on noisy/long
> lines which I've used with good results. Maybe they have the same for
> the 2800's?

There are different 2800 firmware versions like with the 2600 to try to
resolve certain problems with "long lines". However the 2800 seems to
be a turning point for Draytek - lots of complaints about problems with
the model (see their forum). The released a new version of the 2800
firmware earlier this week - I am hoping this will fix those serious
problems. In the meantime we have reverted to using 2600's.

Tony Mountifield 10-27-2006 11:24 AM

Re: DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

In article <4qe4eiFm7e8jU1@individual.net>,
Richard Oliver <richard.oliver@goadsby.com> wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
> > I've no experience of the 2800's, but a lot (of good experience) with
> > the 2600's and Draytek have a separate firmware for use on noisy/long
> > lines which I've used with good results. Maybe they have the same for
> > the 2800's?

> There are different 2800 firmware versions like with the 2600 to try to
> resolve certain problems with "long lines". However the 2800 seems to
> be a turning point for Draytek - lots of complaints about problems with
> the model (see their forum). The released a new version of the 2800
> firmware earlier this week - I am hoping this will fix those serious
> problems. In the meantime we have reverted to using 2600's.

Yes, the 2800 certainly doesn't appear to be up to Draytek's reputed
high standards. I have a 2800G and the two main problems are susceptibility
to external interference on ADSL and unreliable operation of the wireless
access point. There is lots on Draytek's forum about these problems.

Perhaps they have given up and released the 2700 series instead.

What version is the new 2800 firmware released this week?

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Richard Oliver 10-27-2006 12:02 PM

Tony Mountifield wrote:

> Yes, the 2800 certainly doesn't appear to be up to Draytek's reputed
> high standards. I have a 2800G and the two main problems are susceptibility
> to external interference on ADSL and unreliable operation of the wireless
> access point. There is lots on Draytek's forum about these problems.
>
> Perhaps they have given up and released the 2700 series instead.
>
> What version is the new 2800 firmware released this week?

2.7.1 (Formal Release) - Release Date : 24 Oct 2006

From reports this fixes the wireless problems - which might help you.

linker3000 10-27-2006 11:16 PM

Richard Oliver wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> I've no experience of the 2800's, but a lot (of good experience) with
>> the 2600's and Draytek have a separate firmware for use on noisy/long
>> lines which I've used with good results. Maybe they have the same for
>> the 2800's?

> There are different 2800 firmware versions like with the 2600 to try to
> resolve certain problems with "long lines". However the 2800 seems to
> be a turning point for Draytek - lots of complaints about problems with
> the model (see their forum). The released a new version of the 2800
> firmware earlier this week - I am hoping this will fix those serious
> problems. In the meantime we have reverted to using 2600's.

Yep,

I am ripping out USR and SMC ADSL routers and re-equipping our offices
with 2600s bought via eBay. Typical buying price is £40-£60. Well worth
it - I must have bought around 15+ now!

Martin² 10-28-2006 01:59 AM

Re: DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

To Adam L:
>There can be quite large differences in the sync speeds that the modems are
>able to achieve, depending on chipset, firmware etc.

As per my original post, the Zyxel 2602 HW uses an award wining TI chipset,
and I found it could maintain 3Mb/s on my poor 5km line. Unfortunately it's
WiFi didn't work well in my circumstances, so I reverted to using Vigor
2600VG at 2Mb/s.
Regards,
Martin