Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sending text messages to cell phones.. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t3927-sending-text-messages-to-cell-phones.html)

VM 06-25-2004 07:47 PM

Sending text messages to cell phones..

Is it possible to write a Windows application that will send a short
text-only message to a cell phone, either by using the receiver's phone
number (ie. sendMessage("Hello", phoneNum) ) or by sending it to any cell
phone within a radius of the PC running the application?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

JR 06-25-2004 08:09 PM

Sending text messages to cell phones..

You can only send a txt message to a cell phone through
the respective cellular operator. The easiest way is the
find out of the operator supports SMS through email. T-
mobile (USA) does this. You can send an email to [mobile-
number]@tmomail.net and the subject line will appear as
txt message on the phone.
You can send these messages to any phone regardless where
it is located, as long as it is logged onto a cellular
network....

VM 06-25-2004 08:20 PM

Re: Sending text messages to cell phones..

Do all text messages work like this?
For example, when I receive a txt message in my cell phone from the same
company that provides my service, are they sending it via an email?

Pavel A. 06-25-2004 11:07 PM

"VM" <vonchi_m@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Do all text messages work like this?
> For example, when I receive a txt message in my cell phone from the same
> company that provides my service, are they sending it via an email?

Not all cell carriers allow SMS by open email.
You need a special agreement with those who don't (of course, not for free).
See http://sms.icq.com/sms
www.smspop.com

Riana 06-26-2004 04:57 PM

Re: Sending text messages to cell phones..

>>Any info is appreciated.

The following might help -
How Paging/SMS Works - http://www.notepage.net/how-it-works.htm
What is SMS - http://www.ringtones-central.com/what-is-sms.htm