Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   submit button won't work in IE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t392095-submit-button-wont-work-in-ie.html)

Igal 02-03-2007 03:24 PM

submit button won't work in IE
 
hay.
i have this page with a form i've been building.
problem is that the submit button of the form won't work wirh IE.
it worked just fine some time ago, i can't remember what i changed in
my code that made it not to work, but i looked at the code over and
over again and nothing that can stop this from working.

i'm talking about IE7, with firefox the form works just fine.
thought it's the java command for form validation but even without
it's still not working.
looks like some kind of IE bug?
anyone had this problem?


Jonathan N. Little 02-03-2007 03:28 PM

Re: submit button won't work in IE
 
Igal wrote:
> hay.


Timothy? Orchard grass? Alfalfa?

> i have this page with a form i've been building.
> problem is that the submit button of the form won't work wirh IE.
> it worked just fine some time ago, i can't remember what i changed in
> my code that made it not to work, but i looked at the code over and
> over again and nothing that can stop this from working.
>


Well glad *you* at least "i looked at the code"! How do you expect
anyone here to know sight unseen? URL, yes, post a URL!


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

pbd22 02-03-2007 06:37 PM

Re: submit button won't work in IE
 

yea, withoug the code there isnt much we can do.


Arne 02-03-2007 08:15 PM

Re: submit button won't work in IE
 
Once upon a time *pbd22* wrote:
> yea, withoug the code there isnt much we can do.


And without a quote of the post you are replying to, there isn't much we
can understand about what the hell you are talking about!

* How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

--
/Arne

Proud User of SeaMonkey. Get your free copy:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Adrienne Boswell 02-04-2007 07:36 AM

Re: submit button won't work in IE
 
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Igal" <igal.alkon@gmail.com>
writing in news:1170516259.498205.29650@s48g2000cws.googlegro ups.com:

> hay.
> i have this page with a form i've been building.
> problem is that the submit button of the form won't work wirh IE.
> it worked just fine some time ago, i can't remember what i changed in
> my code that made it not to work, but i looked at the code over and
> over again and nothing that can stop this from working.
>
> i'm talking about IE7, with firefox the form works just fine.
> thought it's the java command for form validation but even without
> it's still not working.
> looks like some kind of IE bug?
> anyone had this problem?
>


As others have said, a URL would be invalueable. However, you can try
to debug it by putting an alert where it is not working, see if you can
trap what's happening. You might also want to try comp.lang.javascript
to see if anyone there might be able to help you.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share


Igal 02-04-2007 08:05 AM

Re: submit button won't work in IE
 
> Well glad *you* at least "i looked at the code"! How do you expect
> anyone here to know sight unseen? URL, yes, post a URL!


the page is using a hebrew encoding, thought there's no much point of
posting a link.
but a form is a form, so if anyone can figure this out.

http://www.magarjob.net/emp/empreg1.asp

i was just was wondering if anyone seen this kind of thing...


Toby A Inkster 02-04-2007 12:55 PM

Re: submit button won't work in IE
 
Igal wrote:

> the page is using a hebrew encoding, thought there's no much point of
> posting a link.


There is *always* a point of posting a link! Without a link, any answer we
give could only ever be a wild stab in the dark.

> http://www.magarjob.net/emp/empreg1.asp


Not 100% sure, but I think your check1() function needs to explicitly
"return true" when the form is OK.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
Geek of ~ HTML/CSS/Javascript/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

Jukka K. Korpela 02-04-2007 07:10 PM

Re: submit button won't work in IE
 
Scripsit Toby A Inkster:

>> the page is using a hebrew encoding, thought there's no much point of
>> posting a link.

>
> There is *always* a point of posting a link!


Certainly. And one does not be fluent in Hebrew in order to analyze
technical problems with a page in Hebrew. Actually what matters more is the
layout direction (right to left), since among the two buttons at the bottom
of the page, it's the _left_ button that is the submit button, even though
it appears in markup _after_ the other button. And actually the page should
probably have <html dir="rtl"> instead of dir attributes scattered around

>> http://www.magarjob.net/emp/empreg1.asp

>
> Not 100% sure, but I think your check1() function needs to explicitly
> "return true" when the form is OK.


That would be a plausible hypothesis, but the original question said:
"thought it's the java command for form validation but even without it's
still not working", apparently using "java" as an odd spelling for
JavaScript. Disabling JavaScripting (or "active scripting" to use the IE
jargon) does not seem to make the button work, i.e. clicking on the button
just temporarily changes its appearance with no other visible effect.

This is somewhat odd, but perhaps the OP should first fix the 58 syntax
errors that http://validator.w3.org reports for the page. Many of them are
caused by an unclosed <p> tag (i.e. just "<p" with no matching ">", so that
the validator goes crazy when searching for the next ">"). If this does not
help - and I suspect it won't - then I guess the best strategy is to create
simpler test pages by gradually removing parts of the page until the problem
disappears. The last part removed might then be the culprit.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.