Velocity Reviews

-   -   ul/li alignment problem in IE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t392068-ul-li-alignment-problem-in-ie.html)

Marc 01-29-2007 12:30 PM

ul/li alignment problem in IE

Hi gurus,

I have a problem with a website I'm currently working on. In IE lists
(<ul>) are pushed to the right for some reason. In Firefox it displays
fine, but IE deems it necessary to push them to the right. I've messed
around with margins and paddings but I can't seem to fix it. I wondered
if someone else might spot the problem?

The best page to see the problem is at the address below, as the content
is mainly a list, and so is the navigation menu on the left.

http://www.h30workout.co.uk/why-h30
Username/Password: h30

Any help would be much appreciated!

Marc

Peter Smit 01-29-2007 07:12 PM

Re: ul/li alignment problem in IE

Marc wrote:
> Hi gurus,
>
> I have a problem with a website I'm currently working on. In IE lists
> (<ul>) are pushed to the right for some reason. In Firefox it displays
> fine, but IE deems it necessary to push them to the right. I've messed
> around with margins and paddings but I can't seem to fix it. I wondered
> if someone else might spot the problem?
>
> The best page to see the problem is at the address below, as the content
> is mainly a list, and so is the navigation menu on the left.
>
> http://www.h30workout.co.uk/why-h30
> Username/Password: h30
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Marc

looks almost the same to me in IE and Moz
Peter

dorayme 01-29-2007 10:59 PM

Re: ul/li alignment problem in IE

In article <45be470d$0$6360$dbd45001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
Peter Smit <pjmsmit@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

> Marc wrote:
> > Hi gurus,
> >
> > I have a problem with a website I'm currently working on. In IE lists
> > (<ul>) are pushed to the right for some reason. In Firefox it displays
> > fine, but IE deems it necessary to push them to the right. I've messed
> > around with margins and paddings but I can't seem to fix it. I wondered
> > if someone else might spot the problem?
> >
> > The best page to see the problem is at the address below, as the content
> > is mainly a list, and so is the navigation menu on the left.
> >
> > http://www.h30workout.co.uk/why-h30
> > Username/Password: h30
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated!
> >
> > Marc

> looks almost the same to me in IE and Moz
> Peter

These days, it is probably important to mention whether IE6 or
IE7 or both are being referred to.

--
dorayme

BootNic 01-30-2007 12:50 AM

Re: ul/li alignment problem in IE

> Marc <mbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote:
> news: 1170073829.99101.0@despina.uk.clara.net
> Hi gurus,
>
> I have a problem with a website I'm currently working on. In IE lists
> (<ul>) are pushed to the right for some reason. In Firefox it
> displays fine, but IE deems it necessary to push them to the right.
> I've messed around with margins and paddings but I can't seem to fix
> it. I wondered if someone else might spot the problem?

[snip]

Different browsers may have different default margins and padding on
elements. Perhaps even different versions of the same browser.

Adding the following may resolve the issue for this example.
ul,li {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

--
BootNic Monday, January 29, 2007 7:50 PM

The more you find out about the world, the more opportunities there
are to laugh at it.
*Bill Nye*

Marc 01-30-2007 02:29 PM

dorayme wrote:
> These days, it is probably important to mention whether IE6 or
> IE7 or both are being referred to.

Good point, I was referring to IE7 on Windows XP Pro SP2.

Marc

Marc 01-30-2007 02:29 PM

BootNic wrote:
> Different browsers may have different default margins and padding on
> elements. Perhaps even different versions of the same browser.
>
> Adding the following may resolve the issue for this example.
> ul,li {
> margin: 0;
> padding: 0;
> }

But should this be added before or after the main CSS rules?

Marc

BootNic 01-30-2007 04:26 PM

Re: ul/li alignment problem in IE

> Marc <mbradshaw@beasolutions.com> wrote:
> news: 1170167376.87782.1@iris.uk.clara.net
> BootNic wrote:
>> Different browsers may have different default margins and padding on
>> elements. Perhaps even different versions of the same browser.
>>
>> Adding the following may resolve the issue for this example.
>> ul,li {
>> margin: 0;
>> padding: 0;
>> }

> But should this be added before or after the main CSS rules?

From what I recall of the styles in use it should function
regardless of where you insert it.

It may be added at the bottom, the other rules will
override it.

--
BootNic Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:26 AM

Behind every successful woman...is a substantial amount of coffee.
*Stephanie Piro*