Velocity Reviews

-   -   Embedding html form search box with an <object> tag (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t392012-embedding-html-form-search-box-with-an-object-tag.html)

Perchance 01-18-2007 06:39 PM

Embedding html form search box with an <object> tag

Hello, I've written a basic search box form that will take the contents
of a box and pass it to a query string in my target URL.

When I run it on its standalone page it works fine. But I want to
distill my code into a simple object so others can embed the box into
their sidebars, et cetera.

I've written a standard <object> tag to do so. It even looks fine when
I post it on an independent page. The problem comes when I run the
search. Instead of jumping to the target page, or opening it in a new
window, the results appear in a tiny little keyhole iframe window about
the size of my object.

Any ideas for a fix?

J.O. Aho 01-18-2007 06:47 PM

Re: Embedding html form search box with an <object> tag

Perchance wrote:
> Hello, I've written a basic search box form that will take the contents
> of a box and pass it to a query string in my target URL.
>
> When I run it on its standalone page it works fine. But I want to
> distill my code into a simple object so others can embed the box into
> their sidebars, et cetera.
>
> I've written a standard <object> tag to do so. It even looks fine when
> I post it on an independent page. The problem comes when I run the
> search. Instead of jumping to the target page, or opening it in a new
> window, the results appear in a tiny little keyhole iframe window about
> the size of my object.

Use target=_new or target=_blank in the form-tag

--

//Aho

Perchance 01-18-2007 07:00 PM

J.O. Aho wrote:
> Use target=_new or target=_blank in the form-tag

Thanks for the tip. Is it really that simple?!

I just tried modifying my host page's form tag like so:

<form action="http://www.JUNK.com/default.aspx" target="_blank"
method="get" class="formbox">

And it still isn't working out of my object.

J.O. Aho 01-18-2007 07:49 PM

Perchance wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>> Use target=_new or target=_blank in the form-tag

> Thanks for the tip. Is it really that simple?!
>
> I just tried modifying my host page's form tag like so:
>
> <form action="http://www.JUNK.com/default.aspx" target="_blank"
> method="get" class="formbox">
>
> And it still isn't working out of my object.

It's so simple, but don't quote the _blank/_new

<form action="http://www.JUNK.com/default.aspx" target=_blank
method="get" class="formbox">

or else the effect of the target won't happen.

--

//Aho