Velocity Reviews

-   -   Open a link using Excel (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t391686-open-a-link-using-excel.html)

Bepy 11-28-2006 02:35 PM

Open a link using Excel

Hi,

I'm using the following to open a file:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content="0;URL=xxx">

The problem is that the xxx file is an Excel file but with no extension.
How can I tell to web server that its meta data is
application/vnd.ms-excel ?

I know I've to use content-type, but I don't know how to integrate it in
the previous tag.

TIA !

Jonathan N. Little 11-28-2006 02:46 PM

Re: Open a link using Excel

Bepy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the following to open a file:
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content="0;URL=xxx">
>
> The problem is that the xxx file is an Excel file but with no extension.
> How can I tell to web server that its meta data is
> application/vnd.ms-excel ?
>

> I know I've to use content-type, but I don't know how to integrate it in
> the previous tag.

Easy! Don't do it that way. Serve with a link!

<head>
<title>Better Way</title>
</head>

The proper way to do it, get the Excel
with a link!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Toby Inkster 11-28-2006 04:28 PM

Re: Open a link using Excel

Bepy wrote:

> How can I tell to web server that its meta data is
> application/vnd.ms-excel ?

Different web servers provide different mechanisms. Apache (the most
commonly used web server) has a "DefaultType" directive, which may be
included in your main server configuration files or in a '.htaccess'
file.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Bepy 11-29-2006 12:27 PM