Velocity Reviews

-   -   css positioning question. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t391682-css-positioning-question.html)

Daryl 11-28-2006 01:40 AM

css positioning question.

I want an 800px content section of my webpage always centered no matter the
viewer's window size. I've resorted to a single celled centered table with a
fixed width because css doesn't handle this properly in IE6 as far as I can
tell. Inside this content table I want to place <div> sections with certain
widths and height side by side and stacked. I guess I have to use relative
positioning but once I start doing the left and top attribute adjustments
any unmodified <div> sections remain way at the bottom as if the other
modified sections were still stacked by default. Better yet, check it out
here.
http://www.dreamscape.com/lyradf/index2.htm
The top two sections are dandy. Its all the other ones to follow that are
going to be a pain.
Is there an inline html tag that I can set the width and height on other
than <div> that I should be using? I tried <span> and that failed.

mbstevens 11-28-2006 02:58 AM

Re: css positioning question.

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:40:54 -0500, Daryl wrote:

> I want an 800px content section of my webpage always centered no matter the
> viewer's window size.

What happens if I'm doing more than one thing on my desktop and have my
browser window set to 650 px wide? Will I have to do a horizontal scroll
to read each line of text?

The Eclectic Electric 11-28-2006 10:29 AM

"mbstevens" <NOXwebmasterx@xmbstevensx.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2006.11.28.02.58.57.511965@xmbstevensx.co m...
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:40:54 -0500, Daryl wrote:
>
>> I want an 800px content section of my webpage always centered no matter
>> the
>> viewer's window size.

> What happens if I'm doing more than one thing on my desktop and have my
> browser window set to 650 px wide? Will I have to do a horizontal scroll
> to read each line of text?

But if they use %ge width then IE6 bugs limit what he can do in the div.

+e

Daryl 11-28-2006 12:09 PM

Re: css positioning question.

Your window will display the left most content and you would have to scroll
to the right to view the rest. Im not concerned about that. That is pretty
typical of all web pages.

Neredbojias 11-28-2006 12:26 PM

Re: css positioning question.

To further the education of mankind, "Daryl" <lyradf@yahoo.com>
vouchsafed:

>> What happens if I'm doing more than one thing on my desktop and have
>> my browser window set to 650 px wide? Will I have to do a horizontal
>> scroll to read each line of text?

> Your window will display the left most content and you would have to
> scroll to the right to view the rest. Im not concerned about that.
> That is pretty typical of all web pages.

Au contraire, mon ami. Today's "typical" web page is fluid and text flows
with the size of the matte. However, yes, a certain minority percentage is
archeolithic.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

mbstevens 11-28-2006 02:05 PM

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:29:25 +0000, The Eclectic Electric wrote:

> But if they use %ge width then IE6 bugs limit what he can do in the div.
>
> +e

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tut...son/index.html

Or better yet, modify your design to be a website instead of a magazine
layout.

Jonathan N. Little 11-28-2006 03:12 PM

Daryl wrote:
> Your window will display the left most content and you would have to scroll
> to the right to view the rest. Im not concerned about that. That is pretty
> typical of all web pages.

Not well designed ones.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Kevin Scholl 11-28-2006 10:49 PM

Neredbojias wrote:
> To further the education of mankind, "Daryl" <lyradf@yahoo.com>
> vouchsafed:
>
>>> What happens if I'm doing more than one thing on my desktop and have
>>> my browser window set to 650 px wide? Will I have to do a horizontal
>>> scroll to read each line of text?

>> Your window will display the left most content and you would have to
>> scroll to the right to view the rest. Im not concerned about that.
>> That is pretty typical of all web pages.

> Au contraire, mon ami. Today's "typical" web page is fluid and text flows
> with the size of the matte. However, yes, a certain minority percentage is
> archeolithic.

That's a rather subjective view of "typical". There is no concrete right
or wrong when it comes to fixed-width vs. fluid.

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archiv...daptive_width/

That said, the willingness of the OP to allow horizontal scrolling for a
user running a maximized browser at 800x600 is a bit disconcerting.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
kscholl@comcast.DELETE.net
Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
the dreams...

Daryl 11-28-2006 11:45 PM

Re: css positioning question.

How crappy webpages must look when their content and images are smooshed
down in a "fluid" manner to a window size much smaller 700px, not to mention
when a portion of the display is likely to be taken up by the typical left
navigation column....

This is not a sacrafice im willing to make, my content all distorted.
Especially given the amount of traffic the page will receive, very minimal.

Im still looking for help if there is any available apart from the
criticism.

Daryl 11-28-2006 11:48 PM

Re: css positioning question.

With my content at 800x600 i expect very little scrolling required. I
actually expect the adjust final width to round off at 790 or so so a
maximized window on an 800x600 screen setting should not require scroll.

news:KIadnXiyPcJPIfHYnZ2dnUVZ_hydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..