Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   css positioning question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t391609-css-positioning-question.html)

Knut Krueger 11-17-2006 12:17 PM

css positioning question
 
Hi to all,
I have a problem at this page:
http://uni-regensburg.equine-behavio...ooperation.php

There is a big empty space after
*Kooperationen mit* and the rest of the page
maybe anybody could give me a hint to prevent this space

Regards Knut
The CSS definitons of this container:

#content {
margin-left: 15em;
margin-right: 5em;
white-space:normal;
allign:top;}

..raggedLeft {
display: block;
float: left;

margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
}

..raggedMiddle {
display: block;
float: middle;

margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
}

..raggedRight {
display: block;
float: right;
clear: right;
margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
}

..maxplank {
vertical-align:top;
display: block;
float: left;
clear: left;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}
..muenster {
vertical-align:top;
display: block;
float: right;
clear: right;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}
..wien {
vertical-align:top;
display: block;
float: left;
clear: left;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}


..lpv {
display: block;
float: right;
clear: right;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}

..nuernberg {
display: block;
float: left;
clear: left;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}

Els 11-17-2006 12:59 PM

Re: css positioning question
 
Knut Krueger wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I have a problem at this page:
> http://uni-regensburg.equine-behavio...ooperation.php
>
> There is a big empty space after
> *Kooperationen mit* and the rest of the page
> maybe anybody could give me a hint to prevent this space


[snip]

> allign:top;}


"allign" is spelled wrong: align has only one 'l'.
Also it's not a valid property, you probably meant 'vertical-align'.

> float: middle;


float:middle; ?? where did you find that one?

In your other stylesheet, you have PHP, but the stylesheet is not
parsed as PHP, so it results in invalid stylesheet content.

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ may help with the discovery of
mistakes like that.

Now, your empty space:

> .maxplank {
> vertical-align:top;
> display: block;
> float: left;
> clear: left;


There is your culprit. You cleared the left-floated sidebar, meaning
that div.maxplank will stay below the bottom of div#sidebar.

(this also goes for div.wien and div.nuernberg, but they are already
below sidebar level, so you don't notice)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
accessible web design: http://locusoptimus.com/

Now playing: AC/DC - Thunderstruck

Knut Krueger 11-17-2006 02:11 PM

Re: css positioning question
 
Els schrieb:
>
>> allign:top;}

>
> "allign" is spelled wrong: align has only one 'l'.
> Also it's not a valid property, you probably meantalign
>


changed to vertical-align

> float: middle;
>
> float:middle; ?? where did you find that one?


don`t know ... may be long after midnight in my brain ....,
but it was not used - deleted
>
> In your other stylesheet, you have PHP, but the stylesheet is not
> parsed as PHP, so it results in invalid stylesheet content.


It seems that is interpreted by php, because the style sheets are
working, different depending on the browser.
It is included in a php page, but I do not know why the validator does
nor recognize it.
I will look for that, what`s wrong - its an old code and I am using it a
long time ....
>
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ may help with the discovery of
> mistakes like that.


Thank you did not know that, I am was using the html validator but not
css validator
>
> Now, your empty space:

thx it`s working


Regards Knut

Knut Krueger 11-17-2006 07:51 PM

Re: css positioning question
 
Els schrieb:
> ... You cleared the left-floated sidebar, meaning
> that div.maxplank will stay below the bottom of div#sidebar.
>


Ok .. it is working just like I want ... but is there a possibility to
set the clear option only for the current container?

Or other question is this now the best way to display the page?
means the container content
http://uni-regensburg.equine-behavio...ooperation.php

Regards Knut

Els 11-17-2006 11:05 PM

Re: css positioning question
 
Knut Krueger wrote:

> Els schrieb:
>> ... You cleared the left-floated sidebar, meaning
>> that div.maxplank will stay below the bottom of div#sidebar.
>>

>
> Ok .. it is working just like I want ... but is there a possibility to
> set the clear option only for the current container?


Yes, by floating that container itself, but that has the disadvantage
of losing your flexible width. In your case though, I would think (not
tested), that clearing all those floats to the right only, would have
the desired effect, since you have no floated sidebar on the right.

> Or other question is this now the best way to display the page?
> means the container content
> http://uni-regensburg.equine-behavio...ooperation.php


Not sure what you mean by 'the best way to display the page'?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
accessible web design: http://locusoptimus.com/


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.