Velocity Reviews

-   -   Browser validation (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t391317-browser-validation.html)

ato_zee@hotmail.com 10-11-2006 06:50 AM

Browser validation

Are there any W3C validated browsers?

So if the code and style sheet validate at W3C
the it will display as intended.

It all seems arse about face, you need compliant
browsers, or even a compliant, browser before
you consider code validation.

Nico Schuyt 10-11-2006 07:57 AM

Re: Browser validation

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:
> Are there any W3C validated browsers?
> So if the code and style sheet validate at W3C
> the it will display as intended.
> It all seems arse about face, you need compliant
> browsers, or even a compliant, browser before
> you consider code validation.

Doesn't make sense to me. Browsers have to follow the W3C-specs, on the
other hand they need to render sites as much as possible as the builder has
intended to.

--
Nico Schuyt
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

Els 10-11-2006 08:01 AM

Re: Browser validation

Nico Schuyt wrote:

> Browsers have to follow the W3C-specs, on the
> other hand they need to render sites as much as possible as the builder has
> intended to.

Don't you think that this impossible task would be easier to fulfill
if the builder would code his sites following the specs, instead of
sending his best *intentions* along with his non-standard code?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Nico Schuyt 10-11-2006 08:18 AM

Re: Browser validation

Els wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote:
>
>> Browsers have to follow the W3C-specs, on the
>> other hand they need to render sites as much as possible as the
>> builder has intended to.

> Don't you think that this impossible task would be easier to fulfill
> if the builder would code his sites following the specs, instead of
> sending his best *intentions* along with his non-standard code?

No :-) It's like the accessiblity problems: It's impossible to achieve that
every webbuilder on earth will follow the specs, so it's much more practical
to use browsers that make the best of it.

--
Nico Schuyt
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

Paul Watt 10-11-2006 08:22 AM

Re: Browser validation

"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Els wrote:
>> Nico Schuyt wrote:
>>
>>> Browsers have to follow the W3C-specs, on the
>>> other hand they need to render sites as much as possible as the
>>> builder has intended to.

>> Don't you think that this impossible task would be easier to fulfill
>> if the builder would code his sites following the specs, instead of
>> sending his best *intentions* along with his non-standard code?

> No :-) It's like the accessiblity problems: It's impossible to achieve
> that every webbuilder on earth will follow the specs, so it's much more
> practical to use browsers that make the best of it.

Give a chimp a stick......
--
Cheers

Paul
le singe est dans l'arbre
http://www.paulwatt.info

Els 10-11-2006 08:33 AM

Re: Browser validation

Nico Schuyt wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> Nico Schuyt wrote:
>>
>>> Browsers have to follow the W3C-specs, on the
>>> other hand they need to render sites as much as possible as the
>>> builder has intended to.

>> Don't you think that this impossible task would be easier to fulfill
>> if the builder would code his sites following the specs, instead of
>> sending his best *intentions* along with his non-standard code?

> No :-) It's like the accessiblity problems: It's impossible to achieve that
> every webbuilder on earth will follow the specs, so it's much more practical
> to use browsers that make the best of it.

Tell me Nico, what is easier: build a browser that does what one set
of rules says, or build a browser that does what millions of different
sets of rules say?

Do you have any suggestions for the soccer rules too? Should the
referee judge the game by the intentions of the players ("honest, I
think the rules should allow for kicking the opponent in the shins, as
it will surely stop him from preventing my team scoring a goal"), or
should the players play by the rules?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

ato_zee@hotmail.com 10-11-2006 08:42 AM

Re: Browser validation

On 11-Oct-2006, "Paul Watt" <paulio@wattio.NOSPAMfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

So your code and css validate at W3C, yet each browser renders
differently, IE can render the page different to Firefox,
and Safari on OS X different again.
So why doesn't valid code render the same on each browser?
Quite clearly the browsers are not W3C compliant.
So why doesn't W3C validate browsers?

Nico Schuyt 10-11-2006 09:03 AM

Re: Browser validation

Els wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote:

>>> Don't you think that this impossible task would be easier to fulfill
>>> if the builder would code his sites following the specs, instead of
>>> sending his best *intentions* along with his non-standard code?

>> No :-) It's like the accessiblity problems: It's impossible to
>> achieve that every webbuilder on earth will follow the specs, so
>> it's much more practical to use browsers that make the best of it.

> Tell me Nico, what is easier: build a browser that does what one set
> of rules says, or build a browser that does what millions of different
> sets of rules say?

The latter is easier than instruct all them webbuilders amd adjust existing
sites.

> Do you have any suggestions for the soccer rules too?

I hate soccer :-) But the comparison is wrong: every game is a new one. On
internet there are millions of non- or no longer compliant sites.

--
Nico Schuyt
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

Andy Dingley 10-11-2006 09:21 AM

Re: Browser validation

ato_zee@hotmail.com wrote:

> Are there any W3C validated browsers?

Amaya. Approximately, some time ago, and for somewhat stretched
meanings of "validated".

You might like to look up the ACID browser test suites and see what the
current status of the pack is. It's not that important for a browser to
be perfect, so long as it's fairly close and you know where it isn't.

Els 10-11-2006 09:25 AM

Re: Browser validation

Nico Schuyt wrote:
> Els wrote:
>> Nico Schuyt wrote:

>>> No :-) It's like the accessiblity problems: It's impossible to
>>> achieve that every webbuilder on earth will follow the specs, so
>>> it's much more practical to use browsers that make the best of it.

>> Tell me Nico, what is easier: build a browser that does what one set
>> of rules says, or build a browser that does what millions of different
>> sets of rules say?

> The latter is easier than instruct all them webbuilders amd adjust existing
> sites.

What can I say? If you ever have clients who don't understand that,
feel free to send them my way.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/