Velocity Reviews

-   -   SOA logging? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t391080-soa-logging.html)

richardsosborn@gmail.com 02-23-2007 02:54 PM

SOA logging?

Obviously no one has done alot of SOA based logging before. My
searches on the topic have come up empty. After consulting with the
professional services branch of a product we're working with, it's
decided tghe best approach might be to write our own logging
framework, using Log4J, which will log in a SOA fashion. Has anyone
had other experience?

Mike Schilling 02-23-2007 08:58 PM

Re: SOA logging?

<richardsosborn@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1172242463.995800.19790@k78g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> Obviously no one has done alot of SOA based logging before. My
> searches on the topic have come up empty. After consulting with the
> professional services branch of a product we're working with, it's
> decided tghe best approach might be to write our own logging
> framework, using Log4J, which will log in a SOA fashion. Has anyone
> had other experience?

By SOA-based logging do you mean:

1. Sending log messages to a logging service, where they will be logged
2. Logging artifacts of an SOA system.
3. Something else

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 02-26-2007 03:38 AM

Re: SOA logging?

richardsosborn@gmail.com wrote:
> Obviously no one has done alot of SOA based logging before. My
> searches on the topic have come up empty. After consulting with the
> professional services branch of a product we're working with, it's
> decided tghe best approach might be to write our own logging
> framework, using Log4J, which will log in a SOA fashion. Has anyone
> had other experience?

log4j already has a bunch of appenders that log to remote
servers.

It has nothing to do with SOA, which is services at a much
higher level.

Arne

richardsosborn@gmail.com 04-26-2007 01:27 PM

Re: SOA logging?

On Feb 25, 11:38 pm, Arne Vajh°j <a...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> richardsosb...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Obviously no one has done alot ofSOAbased logging before. My
> > searches on the topic have come up empty. After consulting with the
> > professional services branch of a product we're working with, it's
> > decided tghe best approach might be to write our own logging
> > framework, using Log4J, which will log in aSOAfashion. Has anyone
> > had other experience?

> log4j already has a bunch of appenders that log to remote
> servers.
>
> It has nothing to do withSOA, which is services at a much
> higher level.
>
> Arne

this is true. log4j is designed primarily to log per the software
class you
are in. we're looking for a mechanism which will log per which
business
service you are in. similar to a transaction, but not quite.
one example would be, logging when a particular business operation
failed, and at which point.

one thought i had was using log4j to note which *service* i'm
currently
in and add this to the appender as logging is done across classes, and
layers.
wondered if anyone had any other experience.