Velocity Reviews

-   -   WHICH J2ME Development Tool? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t391030-which-j2me-development-tool.html)

Talal Itani 02-22-2007 12:04 AM

WHICH J2ME Development Tool?

Hello,

After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
J2ME? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
T.I.

Sundar 02-22-2007 08:41 AM

Re: WHICH J2ME Development Tool?

On Feb 22, 5:04 am, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
> and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
> powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
> with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
> and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
> J2ME? Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards,
> T.I.

These links might help you choose the IDE...

http://www.microjava.com/articles/J2...Comparison.pdf
http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/29233
http://www.mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/26
http://antenna.sourceforge.net/

-Sundar
http://heysundar.blogspot.com

Sundar 02-22-2007 08:43 AM

Re: WHICH J2ME Development Tool?

On Feb 22, 5:04 am, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
> and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
> powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
> with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
> and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
> J2ME? Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards,
> T.I.

Also this link...
http://eclipseme.org/

David Kerber 02-22-2007 01:20 PM

Re: WHICH J2ME Development Tool?

In article <1172133831.699105.12270@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
sundar22in@gmail.com says...
> On Feb 22, 5:04 am, "Talal Itani" <tit...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
> > and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
> > powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
> > with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
> > and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
> > J2ME? Thank you very much.

To the OP: Have you tried a plain text editor? That's how I started
out in java...

> > Best Regards,
> > T.I.

> Also this link...
> http://eclipseme.org/

If he's overwhelmed by netbeans, I think Eclipse would be even worse. I
found Netbeans to be somewhat more intuitive than Eclipse when I was
deciding on an IDE, but needed some of the additional capabilities of
Eclipse.

newsgroups if possible).

ranjan.niraj@gmail.com 02-23-2007 06:32 AM

Re: WHICH J2ME Development Tool?

Hi,
Why don't you just use the KToolbar utility which comes with the
Java Wireless Toolkit. You'll also find good documentation with it..
you'd be able to learn it completely, and start writing code, just
with the documentation that comes with it.

Its fairly rudimentary.. doesn't even have a text editor.. but being
new to Java, that's precisely why I like it.. I too was overwhelmed by
Netbeans, being used to programming on linux using a command line
interface.

Hope it helps,
-Niraj

David N. Welton 02-23-2007 07:46 AM

Talal Itani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After researching the J2ME development tools, I finally decided on NetBeans
> and I downloaded it today, with the mobility pack. I found NetBeans be very
> powerful, yet I am just starting with Java. NetBeans overwhelmed me, even
> with the simple NetBeans-generated "Hello World" MIDLet. I need a simpler
> and less powerful development tool. Which development tool do you use for
> J2ME? Thank you very much.

You can't get much simpler than Hecl for J2ME development. It's very
clear and concise, and also has a slightly shorter development cycle
because there is no compile step.

http://www.hecl.org

--
David N. Welton