Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with applets with Opera browser (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t390764-problem-with-applets-with-opera-browser.html)

418928@cepsz.unizar.es 02-11-2007 02:12 AM

Problem with applets with Opera browser

I have some problems with applets in Opera. I just get a gray window
and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there). I have "Java enabled"
checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.

Thanks in advance,
Sergio

Andrew Thompson 02-11-2007 05:18 AM

Re: Problem with applets with Opera browser

On Feb 11, 1:12 pm, "418...@cepsz.unizar.es" <418...@cepsz.unizar.es>
wrote:
> I have some problems with applets

I am not surprised.

>..in Opera.

Even less so.

>..I just get a gray window
> and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
> Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there).

...Bwaaa-ha har, har. Hahhh, ha, ..huh?
You're not joking, are you?

At one stage, more than half the code of
IE was there to help guess 'what the web
designer really meant'. Although IE has
its (many) problems, it generally hides
errors in web pages.

Web developers should never use IE as a
test of 'does it work'*.

To find if your HTML is valid, check it
againts a DTD - like you can do here.
http://validator.w3.org/

* Having said that - I do it all the
time, but this is not about my broken
pages, it is about yours, and I generally
validate my pages, in any case.

>..I have "Java enabled"
> checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.

Does the applet print anything out?
Have you heard of web start?
Does the page use applet size specified
in %?
(delete next NN possible questions,
that can be answered by..)
You got an URL for this applet?

Andrew T.

Daniel Dyer 02-11-2007 01:05 PM

Re: Problem with applets with Opera browser

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 02:12:36 -0000, 418928@cepsz.unizar.es
<418928@cepsz.unizar.es> wrote:

> I have some problems with applets in Opera. I just get a gray window
> and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
> Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there). I have "Java enabled"
> checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.

Post a link for the applet that loads in Internet Explorer and I will let
you know whether it loads in Opera for me (this will indicate whether it
is a problem with the applet or with your Opera setup). In my experience
Opera is more flexible than IE and Firefox regarding the Object/Applet
tags that it will accept. Opera does occasionally gets a bit confused
about the input focus for applets but they tend to at least load.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
https://watchmaker.dev.java.net - Evolutionary Algorithm Framework for Java

nukleus 02-12-2007 03:39 PM

Re: Problem with applets with Opera browser

In article <op.tnk5brdf8kxvgr@jack.local>, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need it">
wrote:
>On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 02:12:36 -0000, 418928@cepsz.unizar.es
><418928@cepsz.unizar.es> wrote:
>
>> I have some problems with applets in Opera. I just get a gray window
>> and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
>> Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there). I have "Java enabled"
>> checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.
>>

>Post a link for the applet that loads in Internet Explorer and I will let
>you know whether it loads in Opera for me (this will indicate whether it
>is a problem with the applet or with your Opera setup). In my experience
>Opera is more flexible than IE and Firefox regarding the Object/Applet
>tags that it will accept. Opera does occasionally gets a bit confused
>about the input focus for applets but they tend to at least load.

Can you tell me if Opera is a flexible and powerful enough
browser to consider using? Generally, i would like to stay
away from anything that is produced by MS. Way too many reasons.

And I have an issue.
I need to be able to post to usenet from the web browser
using the standard NNTP protocol and not port 80.

Do you think it is doable with Opera?

Basically, the person is reading the usenet articles
off line, using his web browser, but when he wants to
reply to some of them, he should be able to create a
follow up to be posted to usenet. It could be off-line.
That is not the issue.

Thankx in advance.

Daniel Dyer 02-12-2007 08:24 PM

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:39:17 -0000, nukleus <nukleus@invalid.addr> wrote:

> In article <op.tnk5brdf8kxvgr@jack.local>, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't
> need it">
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 02:12:36 -0000, 418928@cepsz.unizar.es
>> <418928@cepsz.unizar.es> wrote:
>>
>>> I have some problems with applets in Opera. I just get a gray window
>>> and nothing in it. The html page should be correct, as it works in
>>> Internet Explorer (the applet is loaded there). I have "Java enabled"
>>> checked in the Options. Nothing appears in the Opera Java Console.
>>>

>> Post a link for the applet that loads in Internet Explorer and I will
>> let
>> you know whether it loads in Opera for me (this will indicate whether it
>> is a problem with the applet or with your Opera setup). In my
>> experience
>> Opera is more flexible than IE and Firefox regarding the Object/Applet
>> tags that it will accept. Opera does occasionally gets a bit confused
>> about the input focus for applets but they tend to at least load.

> Can you tell me if Opera is a flexible and powerful enough
> browser to consider using? Generally, i would like to stay
> away from anything that is produced by MS. Way too many reasons.

I use Opera pretty much exclusively (on Windows, Mac and Linux) and have
done for many years now. It is fine for the vast majority of websites and
those few that don't work are usually due to bad HTML rather than
deficiencies in Opera. There is only one website I visit semi-regularly
that doesn't work properly - it's half usable in Opera and no better in
Safari so I have Firefox installed on my Mac just for that one site. I
don't have Firefox on my PC and never use IE except on the rare occasions
that I need to test web development stuff.

> And I have an issue.
> I need to be able to post to usenet from the web browser
> using the standard NNTP protocol and not port 80.

I'm posting this message with Opera's built-in news reader. The mail and
news client is perhaps not as powerful as some dedicated applications, but
it is usable.

Dan.

nukleus 02-12-2007 11:13 PM

Re: Problem with applets with Opera browser

In article <op.tnnkbwmv8kxvgr@jack.local>, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need it">
wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:39:17 -0000, nukleus <nukleus@invalid.addr> wrote:
>
>> In article <op.tnk5brdf8kxvgr@jack.local>, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't
>> need it">
>> wrote:

>>> Post a link for the applet that loads in Internet Explorer and I will
>>> let
>>> you know whether it loads in Opera for me (this will indicate whether it
>>> is a problem with the applet or with your Opera setup). In my
>>> experience
>>> Opera is more flexible than IE and Firefox regarding the Object/Applet
>>> tags that it will accept. Opera does occasionally gets a bit confused
>>> about the input focus for applets but they tend to at least load.

>> Can you tell me if Opera is a flexible and powerful enough
>> browser to consider using? Generally, i would like to stay
>> away from anything that is produced by MS. Way too many reasons.

>I use Opera pretty much exclusively (on Windows, Mac and Linux) and have
>done for many years now. It is fine for the vast majority of websites and
>those few that don't work are usually due to bad HTML rather than
>deficiencies in Opera. There is only one website I visit semi-regularly
>that doesn't work properly - it's half usable in Opera and no better in
>Safari so I have Firefox installed on my Mac just for that one site. I
>don't have Firefox on my PC and never use IE except on the rare occasions
>that I need to test web development stuff.
>
>> And I have an issue.
>> I need to be able to post to usenet from the web browser
>> using the standard NNTP protocol and not port 80.

>I'm posting this message with Opera's built-in news reader. The mail and
>news client is perhaps not as powerful as some dedicated applications, but
>it is usable.

Interesting, thanks.
I'll look at it.