Velocity Reviews

-   -   java.sql.Date truncated when written to DB. How to obtain full date? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t390716-java-sql-date-truncated-when-written-to-db-how-to-obtain-full-date.html)

ddog 02-08-2007 03:45 PM

java.sql.Date truncated when written to DB. How to obtain full date?

I'm trying to write a java.sql.Date to a database and the minutes/
seconds etc. are not being written. I've seen and tested many examples
found via searches and still have come up with nothing. Here's what I
have:

java.sql.Date formation - recommended forms:
java.sql.Date entryDttm = new
java.sql.Date(System.currentTimeMillis());
OR
java.sql.Date entryDttm = new java.sql.Date(new
java.util.Date().getTime());

// prepared statement insert
pstmt.setDate(1, entryDttm);
// what is written to database
2007-02-07 12:00:00.000

// what needs to be written
2007-02-08 09:37:25.793

The field is stored in a MS SQL Server 8.0 database and is defined as
a 'datatime' field. Using JDK 1.5.

What do I need to do to have the minutes/seconds/milliseconds written?

Rayle 02-08-2007 07:29 PM

Re: java.sql.Date truncated when written to DB. How to obtain full date?

not sure but i didi some of this with a school project.. double check
your mysql syntax on date time... i believe that it is 16 digits in
length... 4 for year 2 for month etc so it is only 2 for milliseconds
and if the format is incorrect it uses the default value of
12:00:00:00

should be in the mysql manual... i am almost positive i am correct

Manish Pandit 02-08-2007 07:41 PM

On Feb 8, 7:45 am, "ddog" <wgblack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to write a java.sql.Date to a database and the minutes/
> seconds etc. are not being written. I've seen and tested many examples
> found via searches and still have come up with nothing. Here's what I
> have:
>
> java.sql.Date formation - recommended forms:
> java.sql.Date entryDttm = new
> java.sql.Date(System.currentTimeMillis());
> OR
> java.sql.Date entryDttm = new java.sql.Date(new
> java.util.Date().getTime());
>
> // prepared statement insert
> pstmt.setDate(1, entryDttm);
> // what is written to database
> 2007-02-07 12:00:00.000
>
> // what needs to be written
> 2007-02-08 09:37:25.793
>
> The field is stored in a MS SQL Server 8.0 database and is defined as
> a 'datatime' field. Using JDK 1.5.
>
> What do I need to do to have the minutes/seconds/milliseconds written?

Can you try using TimeStamp instead? I've not used Dates, but used
TimeStamps and have never had a problem. Another thing to try would be
to use sysdate( ) or now( ) in the jdbc statement - this will put the
database time in the field.

Also. make sure the field type is DateTime or TimeStamp in MySQL.

-cheers,
Manish

Lew 02-09-2007 01:21 AM

ddog wrote:
> I'm trying to write a java.sql.Date to a database and the minutes/
> seconds etc. are not being written. I've seen and tested many examples

You multi-posted this one to comp.databases as "Re: java.sql.Date value
truncated using JDBC in MS-SQL Server".

Follow-up set to cljp. Please cease multi-posting. Use cross-posting if you
really want multiple groups.

Andrew - you missed this one?

- Lew