Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to Get Root Path in JTree (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t390683-how-to-get-root-path-in-jtree.html)

Jason Cavett 02-07-2007 04:02 PM

How to Get Root Path in JTree

I am currently adding nodes a JTree. I want the user to have the
ability to add a node to the root node which is *not* visible (AKA - I
had the root node). Basically, this means that when the user has no
nodes selected and they try to add a new node (via a menu), it should
automatically go to the root node.

The problem I'm having is that although I can get the path for the
root, DefaultTreeModel *always* throws an exception because of this
method...

--
public void nodesWereInserted(TreeNode node, int[] childIndices) {
if(listenerList != null && node != null && childIndices != null

for(int counter = 0; counter < cCount; counter++)
newChildren[counter] = node.getChildAt(childIndices[counter]);
fireTreeNodesInserted(this, getPathToRoot(node), childIndices,
newChildren);
}
}
--

Basically, what happens is that, when the DefaultTreeNode tries to
fire that a new node was inserted, it is still holding the "path" to

Is there any way to add a new node to the root node, even though that
root node is not visible?

Thanks.

Michael Rauscher 02-08-2007 09:46 AM

Re: How to Get Root Path in JTree

Jason Cavett wrote:
> I am currently adding nodes a JTree. I want the user to have the
> ability to add a node to the root node which is *not* visible (AKA - I
> had the root node). Basically, this means that when the user has no
> nodes selected and they try to add a new node (via a menu), it should
> automatically go to the root node.
>
> The problem I'm having is that although I can get the path for the
> root, DefaultTreeModel *always* throws an exception because of this
> method...

Please provide the exception.

Bye
Michael

Jason Cavett 02-08-2007 09:02 PM

On Feb 8, 4:46 am, Michael Rauscher <michlm...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Jason Cavett wrote:
> > I am currently adding nodes a JTree. I want the user to have the
> > ability to add a node to the root node which is *not* visible (AKA - I
> > had the root node). Basically, this means that when the user has no
> > nodes selected and they try to add a new node (via a menu), it should
> > automatically go to the root node.

> > The problem I'm having is that although I can get the path for the
> > root, DefaultTreeModel *always* throws an exception because of this
> > method...

> Please provide the exception.
>
> Bye
> Michael

Thanks for the response. After working with my code a bit more, I
found a much more elegant solution which didn't require any of this.