Velocity Reviews

-   -   What application server to use? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t390673-what-application-server-to-use.html)

andreic 02-07-2007 11:35 AM

What application server to use?

Hello,

I want to start learning to develop EJBs and I need to install an
application server to deploy my EJBs in... I have to decide between
Geronimo and JBoss. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding which
is better, which is easier to install and use and so on ... I have no
previous experience with neither of them so I need some opinions from
people who worked with EJB before.

Thanks in advance!

AndreiC

John T 02-08-2007 02:52 AM

Re: What application server to use?

andreic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to start learning to develop EJBs and I need to install an
> application server to deploy my EJBs in... I have to decide between
> Geronimo and JBoss. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding which
> is better, which is easier to install and use and so on ... I have no
> previous experience with neither of them so I need some opinions from
> people who worked with EJB before.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> AndreiC

Here's a good article

http://www.indicthreads.com/blogs/jboss_geronimo.html

Not sure if the judgements will apply after Redhat acquired JBoss.
Personally, I have both installed.

To quote a link further on in the discussion

"The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward. You
get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss Inc as
well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we are J2EE
1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards compliance
matter to you, you will not think twice."

http://indicthreads.com/interviews/1...ee_server.html

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 02-08-2007 03:32 AM

andreic wrote:
> I want to start learning to develop EJBs and I need to install an
> application server to deploy my EJBs in... I have to decide between
> Geronimo and JBoss. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding which
> is better, which is easier to install and use and so on ... I have no
> previous experience with neither of them so I need some opinions from
> people who worked with EJB before.

I would say JBoss.

They are more relevant from a future job perspective.

Arne

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 02-08-2007 03:32 AM

John T wrote:
> To quote a link further on in the discussion
>
> "The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
> freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward. You
> get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss Inc as
> well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we are J2EE
> 1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards compliance
> matter to you, you will not think twice."

That is marketing bullshit speak.

Arne

John 02-08-2007 03:36 AM

Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> John T wrote:
>
>> To quote a link further on in the discussion
>>
>> "The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
>> freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward.
>> You get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss
>> Inc as well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we
>> are J2EE 1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards
>> compliance matter to you, you will not think twice."

> That is marketing bullshit speak.
>
> Arne

Agreed, but would you expect one of the lead developers for JBoss to say
"Nah... our product sucks... use the Sun App Server or one of the others
that is out there."

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 02-09-2007 03:04 AM

John wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> John T wrote:
>>> To quote a link further on in the discussion
>>>
>>> "The answer to your question on why you should pick JBoss over other
>>> freely available software on Apache or SF is pretty straightforward.
>>> You get the world-class production and developer support from JBoss
>>> Inc as well as the community via our forums, blogs and wikis. Plus we
>>> are J2EE 1.4 certified. If no cost, quality support and standards
>>> compliance matter to you, you will not think twice."

>> That is marketing bullshit speak.

> Agreed, but would you expect one of the lead developers for JBoss to say
> "Nah... our product sucks... use the Sun App Server or one of the others
> that is out there."

I would expect a developer of product X in such discussions to
just state:
- that they work for X
- that they think X is good (with claiming better than Y)
- describe features they think X is good at

I consider it rather tasteless to promote ones own product
in a technical forum.

Arne