Velocity Reviews

-   -   Processing Forms in Java (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t390659-processing-forms-in-java.html)

dougjrs@gmail.com 02-06-2007 06:46 PM

Processing Forms in Java

Good Afternoon!

I am trying to write a form processor in java that can handle a
select
box with mutiple options selected. The problem that I am having is
when I call request.getParameter("state") I only get the first option
that has been selected. The data is being sent with a POST, but if I
change to a get I have the same problem. The end solution has to be
POST because I have to interface with some other software that
requires a POST action.

Also, I had this posted the wrong group before, so sorry if you
already read this.

Thanks,
Doug

Andrew Thompson 02-06-2007 07:05 PM

Re: Processing Forms in Java

On Feb 7, 5:46 am, doug...@gmail.com wrote:
> Good Afternoon!

> Also, I had this posted the wrong group before, so sorry if you
> already read this.

Uggh. My bad. I should have read further,
sorry about that.

Andrew T.

ck 02-06-2007 07:16 PM

Re: Processing Forms in Java

On Feb 6, 11:46 pm, doug...@gmail.com wrote:
> Good Afternoon!
>
> I am trying to write a form processor in java that can handle a
> select
> box with mutiple options selected. The problem that I am having is
> when I call request.getParameter("state") I only get the first option
> that has been selected. The data is being sent with a POST, but if I
> change to a get I have the same problem. The end solution has to be
> POST because I have to interface with some other software that
> requires a POST action.
>
> Also, I had this posted the wrong group before, so sorry if you
> already read this.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

If you are talking about html select, where you can select multiple
items. Try this form like this

<form name="form1" id="form1">
<select name="menu1" size="2" multiple="multiple">
<option>1</option>
<option>2</option>
<option>3</option>
<option>gfsgdg</option>
</select>
</form>

In the servlet you can request it from request object.

request.getParameters("menu1")

Ck
http://www.gfour.net

dougjrs@gmail.com 02-06-2007 07:46 PM

Re: Processing Forms in Java

That does not seem to do the trick.

Here is the code that I tried:

<form method="POST" action="printer.jsp">
<select class="FORMshrt2" multiple="multiple" SIZE="4"
NAME="Question38592__FORMTEXT22" ID="Question38592__FORMTEXT22">
<option value="AnswerName&=|=X|%%%AnswerValue&=|=X|%%%GDEA nswerValue&=|
TG_SEARCH_ALL=X|???" SELECTED>All</option>
<option VALUE="AnswerName&=|00100=X|%%%AnswerValue&=|00100 =X|%%
%GDEAnswerValue&=|=X|???">00100</option>
<option VALUE="AnswerName&=|00603=X|%%%AnswerValue&=|00603 =X|%%
%GDEAnswerValue&=|=X|???">00603</option>
</select>
</form>

Here is the code printing the data in printer.jsp:
out.println( " ****** " +
request.getParameter("Question38592__FORMTEXT22") + " ******** ");

Here is what it produces when you select all of the values in the drop
down:
****** AnswerName&=|=X|%%%AnswerValue&=|=X|%%%GDEAnswerVa lue&=|
TG_SEARCH_ALL=X|??? ********

It only picks up the very first selection.

Did I do somehting wrong?

Thanks,
Doug

Lew 02-07-2007 04:33 AM

Re: Processing Forms in Java

dougjrs@gmail.com wrote:
> request.getParameter("Question38592__FORMTEXT22") + " ******** ");
> It only picks up the very first selection.
>
> Did I do somehting wrong?

request.getParameterValues()
<http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/ServletRequest.html#getParameterValues(java.lang.S tring)>

- Lew

ck 02-07-2007 07:59 AM

Re: Processing Forms in Java

On Feb 7, 9:33 am, Lew <l...@nospam.lewscanon.com> wrote:
> doug...@gmail.com wrote:
> > request.getParameter("Question38592__FORMTEXT22") + " ******** ");
> > It only picks up the very first selection.

> > Did I do somehting wrong?

> request.getParameterValues()
> <http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/ServletRequest.ht...)>
>
> - Lew

I am sorry about the incorrect method I posted previously. As Lew
mentioned "request.getParameterValues()" should work.

--
Ck
http://www.gfour.net