Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to strat (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t390650-how-to-strat.html)

Mike 02-06-2007 10:06 AM

How to strat

Hi,

I'm C# developer and I like to learn and use Java. Can you give me tip for
start. I'd like to make some GUI applications with set up implemented.

Is possible to use some editor like VS is?
NetBeans, eclipse?

What I need, where I have to go?

Thanks to all in advance

Mike

Ian Wilson 02-06-2007 03:36 PM

Re: How to strat

Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm C# developer and I like to learn and use Java. Can you give me tip for
> start. I'd like to make some GUI applications with set up implemented.
>
> Is possible to use some editor like VS is?
> NetBeans, eclipse?

I think either are probably a good place to start. However some people advocate
starting with the command-line compiler in order to learn the fundamental
concepts of organising code and classpaths etc. Starting with the command-line
tools means you don't have to learn to use an IDE before you can start learning
Java. Personally I like Eclipse but I haven't tried Netbeans so that doesn't
mean a lot.

> What I need, where I have to go?

You can download the Java Developer Kit (JDK) from sun.com.
You can download Eclipse or Netbeans from their websites.

I suggest buying a book such as "Learning Java" by Niemayer & Knudsen, published
by O'Reilly. Use Google to search this newsgroup for previous book
recommendations by other people.

Sun has a very good set of Java tutorials which I found extremely useful.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

John 02-07-2007 02:48 AM

Re: How to strat

Ian Wilson wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>

> I suggest buying a book such as "Learning Java" by Niemayer & Knudsen,
> published by O'Reilly. Use Google to search this newsgroup for previous
> book recommendations by other people.

Do you know if this book Learning Java is out for version 1.6 yet? The
edition I see of this book on chapters.indigo.ca is for version 1.5

David Segall 02-07-2007 05:38 AM

Re: How to strat

"Mike" <ablyplus@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm C# developer and I like to learn and use Java. Can you give me tip for
>start. I'd like to make some GUI applications with set up implemented.
>
>Is possible to use some editor like VS is?
>NetBeans, eclipse?

I came from Visual Basic but most of the stuff here
<http://ide.profectus.com.au> is relevant.

>What I need, where I have to go?

The easy way is to transfer from being fed all you need by Microsoft
to being fed all you need by Sun. Go to
<http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/> and choose "JDK 6 with
NetBeans 5.5". The big advantage is that, from Sun, it is all free and
mainly open source.

Ian Wilson 02-07-2007 09:50 AM

Re: How to strat

John wrote:
> Ian Wilson wrote:
>
>> I suggest buying a book such as "Learning Java" by Niemayer & Knudsen,
>> published by O'Reilly.

> Do you know if this book Learning Java is out for version 1.6 yet? The
> edition I see of this book on chapters.indigo.ca is for version 1.5

No. the latest edition is the third.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnjava3/

At some point you progress to learning the latest language features but
initially the fundamental things you need to learn haven't changed.

Mike 02-08-2007 07:01 AM

Re: How to strat

Thanks :)

Mike 02-08-2007 07:02 AM