Velocity Reviews

-   -   using "Implementation-Version" in MANIFEST.MF to version war, jar and ear files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t390560-using-implementation-version-in-manifest-mf-to-version-war-jar-and-ear-files.html)

thebad1 02-02-2007 03:38 PM

using "Implementation-Version" in MANIFEST.MF to version war, jar and ear files

Hi,

We are currently going through the process of asking our java
developers and external vendors to stick to a versioning convention
for the various war, jar and ear files that are deployed.

The idea has been suggested that we should have the vendor/developer
ship a "release" file with version information in the root of the
archive file. However I am thinking that there is a standard
versioning specification, as most published libraries include a
"Implementation-Version" attribute in the MANIFEST.MF. But I can't
seem to find a specification or reference for it. I guess that I might
just be searching for a topic for which there is a lot of competition
for keywords... :-(

If Anyone has any ideas on where I can find information on this, I
would be grateful.

Thanks,

T.

Daniel Dyer 02-02-2007 03:52 PM

Re: using "Implementation-Version" in MANIFEST.MF to version war, jar and ear files

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:38:30 -0000, thebad1 <thomas.hodder@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently going through the process of asking our java
> developers and external vendors to stick to a versioning convention
> for the various war, jar and ear files that are deployed.
>
> The idea has been suggested that we should have the vendor/developer
> ship a "release" file with version information in the root of the
> archive file. However I am thinking that there is a standard
> versioning specification, as most published libraries include a
> "Implementation-Version" attribute in the MANIFEST.MF. But I can't
> seem to find a specification or reference for it. I guess that I might
> just be searching for a topic for which there is a lot of competition
> for keywords... :-(

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/....html#Manifest
Specification>

Dan

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.uncommons.org

Thomas Fritsch 02-02-2007 03:59 PM

thebad1 wrote:
> However I am thinking that there is a standard
> versioning specification, as most published libraries include a
> "Implementation-Version" attribute in the MANIFEST.MF. But I can't
> seem to find a specification or reference for it.

It is in the "JAR File Specification" (paragraph "Main Attributes")
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/...n%20Attributes

--
Thomas

thebad1 02-02-2007 04:07 PM

Re: using "Implementation-Version" in MANIFEST.MF to version war, jar and ear files

> It is in the "JAR File Specification" (paragraph "Main Attributes")http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/...n%20Attributes

Thanks for both of those rapid answers... However I am still slightly
confused by the document. Am I right in saying that "Implementation-
Version" corresponds to 1.0, for web application packaged in a war
file for release 1.0 of a web application? And the same for say, an
EAR archive?