Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t390130-how-do-i-write-an-imageicon-object-into-a-file-on-my-computer.html)

phillip.s.powell@gmail.com 01-16-2007 09:45 PM

How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer?

I am about to throw in the towel on Java at this point! Too many
questions!

How in the world do you do this one (again, in my native PHP it's
extremely easy:

$fileID = @fopen('/path/to/your/new/file', 'wb');
if ($fileID) {
@fputs($fileID,
file_get_contents('http://www.domain.com/someimage.jpg'));
@fclose($fileID);
}

That's it. Now, how on earth do I do that in Java???

I tried something like this but just fell apart on it:

/*
* FileDownloader.java
*
* Created on January 10, 2007, 3:47 PM
*
* To change this template, choose Tools | Template Manager
* and open the template in the editor.
*/

package FileTools;

import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;

/**
*
* @author ppowell-c
*/
public class FileDownloader implements Serializable {

/** Creates a new instance of FileDownloader */
public FileDownloader() {}

public static void download(URL url, File file) throws IOException
{
InputStream in = url.openStream();
FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
byte[] b = new byte[1024];
int len;
while((len = in.read(b)) != -1) {
out.write(b, 0, len);
}
out.close();
}

public static void toFile(File file, Object contents) throws
IOException {
FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
out.write(contents.getBytes());
}
}

This of course fails, but I have absolutely no idea how to get the
ImageIcon object "contents" to write into the file "/path/to/my/file".

Phil

Daniel Pitts 01-16-2007 10:07 PM

Re: How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer?

phillip.s.powell@gmail.com wrote:
> I am about to throw in the towel on Java at this point! Too many
> questions!
>
> How in the world do you do this one (again, in my native PHP it's
> extremely easy:
>
> $fileID = @fopen('/path/to/your/new/file', 'wb');
> if ($fileID) {
> @fputs($fileID,
> file_get_contents('http://www.domain.com/someimage.jpg'));
> @fclose($fileID);
> }

[snip]
> public static void download(URL url, File file) throws IOException
> {
> InputStream in = url.openStream();
> FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
> byte[] b = new byte[1024];
> int len;
> while((len = in.read(b)) != -1) {
> out.write(b, 0, len);
> }
> out.close();
> }
>
> public static void toFile(File file, Object contents) throws
> IOException {
> FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
> out.write(contents.getBytes());
> }
> }
>
> This of course fails, but I have absolutely no idea how to get the
> ImageIcon object "contents" to write into the file "/path/to/my/file".
>
> Phil

Hmm, are you trying to save an image (such as a jpeg or gif), or
actually trying to serialize the ImageIcon object to a file? It looks
like you are simply trying do download data from a URL (thats what your
PHP code does). your toFile method can not do that if you have just any
Object. Only certain ones allow you to get at the byte[] contents. If

What doesn't work about your download method?
Other than the fact that you forget call "in.close()" in a failsafe
manor (see below)
If that is all you really want to do, then it is the best way.
However, if you have an Image object, look into ImageIO:
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/imageio/ImageIO.html> It
might do what you want.

-- This is a safer way to save a binary file from a URL:

public static void download(URL url, File file) throws IOException {
final InputStream in = url.openStream();
try {
final OutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
try {
final byte[] b = new byte[1024];
int len;
while((len = in.read(b)) != -1) {
out.write(b, 0, len);
}
} finally {
out.close();
}
} finally {
in.close();
}
}

phillip.s.powell@gmail.com 01-16-2007 10:12 PM

Re: How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer?

I hope this makes it more clear:

*update* still fails, can't fix it this time..

Here are my methods

public static void toFile(File file, Object contents) throws
IOException {
FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
out.write(contents.toString().getBytes());
}

public static void toFile(String filePath, Object contents) throws
IOException {
File file = new File(filePath);
toFile(file, contents);
}
}

I get this exception thrown:

file:\C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\me\stave.ico (The filename,
directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

I have no idea what to do. All I want to do is create an icon at
C:/Documents and Settings/me called "stave.ico" with the contents
spawned within ImageIcon icon.

That's it.

Phil

Knute Johnson 01-16-2007 10:28 PM

> [...]

>> like you are simply trying do download data from a URL (thats what your
>> PHP code does). your toFile method can not do that if you have just any
>> Object. Only certain ones allow you to get at the byte[] contents. If
>>
>> What doesn't work about your download method?
>> Other than the fact that you forget call "in.close()" in a failsafe
>> manor (see below)
>> If that is all you really want to do, then it is the best way.
>> However, if you have an Image object, look into ImageIO:
>> <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/imageio/ImageIO.html> It
>> might do what you want.
>>

>> -- This is a safer way to save a binary file from a URL:
>>
>> public static void download(URL url, File file) throws IOException {
>> final InputStream in = url.openStream();
>> try {
>> final OutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);

You are not being clear about what you want to do. If you want to read
an image file from the local disk or a URL, use ImageIO.read(). If you
want to display that image use your ImageIcon component to do that.
There is no more to it that that.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

phillip.s.powell@gmail.com 01-16-2007 10:31 PM

Re: How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer?

I want to create a file. Any kind of file, a .ico, .xls, .pdf,
..whatever, whose contents will be determined by my inserting them into
the file I create.

Just like in PHP @fread($fileID, $contents);

Phil

phillip.s.powell@gmail.com 01-17-2007 12:33 AM

Re: How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer?

Perhaps this will suit my needs (untested):

/*
* FileDownloader.java
*
[...]

public static void download(String path, File file) throws
IOException {
download(new URL(path), file);
}

public static void download(String path, Object contents) throws
IOException {
ObjectOutputStream out = new ObjectOutputStream(new
FileOutputStream(path));
out.writeObject(contents);
out.close();
}

}

Thomas Fritsch 01-17-2007 01:17 AM

Re: How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer?

<phillip.s.powell@gmail.com> wrote:
>I hope this makes it more clear:
>
> *update* still fails, can't fix it this time..
>
> Here are my methods
>
> public static void toFile(File file, Object contents) throws
> IOException {
> FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);

I assume you got the Exception in the line above.
(Unfortunately you missed to post the complete exception stack trace)

> out.write(contents.toString().getBytes());
> }
>
> public static void toFile(String filePath, Object contents) throws
> IOException {
> File file = new File(filePath);
> toFile(file, contents);
> }
> }
>
> I get this exception thrown:
>
> file:\C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\me\stave.ico (The filename,
> directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

The exception says it all: You try to open a file in directory
file:\C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\me
which, of course, doesn't exist.
What you really want to do, is to open a file in directory
C:\Documents and Settings\me
I.e. you have to use
C:\Documents and Settings\me\stave.ico
as filePath in your code above.

> I have no idea what to do. All I want to do is create an icon at
> C:/Documents and Settings/me called "stave.ico" with the contents
> spawned within ImageIcon icon.

Don't confuse URL strings like
file:\C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\me\stave.ico
with real Windows file paths like
C:\Documents and Settings\me\stave.ico

--
Thomas

Knute Johnson 01-17-2007 01:50 AM

Re: How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer?

phillip.s.powell@gmail.com wrote:
> Perhaps this will suit my needs (untested):
>
> /*
> * FileDownloader.java
> *
> * Created on January 10, 2007, 3:47 PM
> *
> * To change this template, choose Tools | Template Manager
> * and open the template in the editor.
> */
>
> package FileTools;
>
> import java.io.*;
> import java.net.*;
>

> /**
> *
> * @author ppowell-c
> */
> public class FileDownloader implements Serializable {
>
> public static void download(URL url, File file) throws IOException
> {
> InputStream in = url.openStream();
> FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
> byte[] b = new byte[1024];
> int len;
> while((len = in.read(b)) != -1) {
> out.write(b, 0, len);
> }
> out.close();
> }
>
> public static void download(String path, File file) throws
> IOException {
> download(new URL(path), file);
> }
>
> public static void download(String path, Object contents) throws
> IOException {
> ObjectOutputStream out = new ObjectOutputStream(new
> FileOutputStream(path));
> out.writeObject(contents);
> out.close();
> }
>

> }
>
> phillip.s.powell@gmail.com wrote:
>> I want to create a file. Any kind of file, a .ico, .xls, .pdf,
>> .whatever, whose contents will be determined by my inserting them into
>> the file I create.
>>
>> Just like in PHP @fread($fileID, $contents);
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> Knute Johnson wrote:

>>> You are not being clear about what you want to do. If you want to read
>>> an image file from the local disk or a URL, use ImageIO.read(). If you
>>> want to display that image use your ImageIcon component to do that.
>>> There is no more to it that that.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Knute Johnson
>>> email s/nospam/knute/

Well I don't have a clue about PHP but if it works so well why don't you
just use it?

Java Objects are not all Serializable. For example the Image object is
not. You can't do ObjectInputStream/OutputStream operations if they are
not Serializable.

You can certainly read the data bytes from the InputStream of the URL
and save those bytes to a file. In fact your code to do that looks fine.

So to ask the question again, in what format is your data? Is it in
some file format or is it Java Objects?

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

phillip.s.powell@gmail.com 01-17-2007 03:52 AM

Thomas Fritsch wrote:
> <phillip.s.powell@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I hope this makes it more clear:
> >
> > *update* still fails, can't fix it this time..
> >
> > Here are my methods
> >
> > public static void toFile(File file, Object contents) throws
> > IOException {
> > FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);

> I assume you got the Exception in the line above.
> (Unfortunately you missed to post the complete exception stack trace)
>
> > out.write(contents.toString().getBytes());
> > }
> >
> > public static void toFile(String filePath, Object contents) throws
> > IOException {
> > File file = new File(filePath);
> > toFile(file, contents);
> > }
> > }
> >
> > I get this exception thrown:
> >
> > file:\C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\me\stave.ico (The filename,
> > directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

> The exception says it all: You try to open a file in directory
> file:\C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\me
> which, of course, doesn't exist.
> What you really want to do, is to open a file in directory
> C:\Documents and Settings\me
> I.e. you have to use
> C:\Documents and Settings\me\stave.ico
> as filePath in your code above.

Then perhaps this might be a better choice:

/*
* FileDownloader.java
*
[...]

What do you think?

Phil

Knute Johnson 01-17-2007 05:58 AM

Re: How do I write an ImageIcon object into a file on my computer?

phillip.s.powell@gmail.com wrote:
> Thomas Fritsch wrote:
>> <phillip.s.powell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I hope this makes it more clear:
>>>
>>> *update* still fails, can't fix it this time..
>>>
>>> Here are my methods
>>>
>>> public static void toFile(File file, Object contents) throws
>>> IOException {
>>> FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);

>> I assume you got the Exception in the line above.
>> (Unfortunately you missed to post the complete exception stack trace)
>>
>>> out.write(contents.toString().getBytes());
>>> }
>>>
>>> public static void toFile(String filePath, Object contents) throws
>>> IOException {
>>> File file = new File(filePath);
>>> toFile(file, contents);
>>> }
>>> }
>>>
>>> I get this exception thrown:
>>>
>>> file:\C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\me\stave.ico (The filename,
>>> directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)

>> The exception says it all: You try to open a file in directory
>> file:\C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\me
>> which, of course, doesn't exist.
>> What you really want to do, is to open a file in directory
>> C:\Documents and Settings\me
>> I.e. you have to use
>> C:\Documents and Settings\me\stave.ico
>> as filePath in your code above.

> Then perhaps this might be a better choice:
>
> /*
> * FileDownloader.java
> *
> * Created on January 10, 2007, 3:47 PM
> *
> * To change this template, choose Tools | Template Manager
> * and open the template in the editor.
> */
>
> package FileTools;
>
> import java.io.*;
> import java.net.*;
>

> /**
> *
> * @author ppowell-c
> */
> public class FileDownloader implements Serializable {

Why is it Serializable? There is no data.

> /** Creates a new instance of FileDownloader */
> public FileDownloader() {}

This method is fine.
> public static void download(URL url, File file) throws IOException
> {
> InputStream in = url.openStream();
> FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
> byte[] b = new byte[1024];
> int len;
> while((len = in.read(b)) != -1) {
> out.write(b, 0, len);
> }
> out.close();
> }
>
> public static void download(String path, File file) throws
> IOException {
> download(new URL(path), file);
> }

This will work only if the Object is Serializable
> public static void download(String path, Object contents) throws
> IOException {
> ObjectOutputStream out = new ObjectOutputStream(new
> FileOutputStream(path));
> out.writeObject(contents);
> out.close();
> }