Velocity Reviews

-   -   ODBC Issue (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t389598-odbc-issue.html)

Bob 12-21-2006 08:21 PM

ODBC Issue

Hi

Quick question. I have a CACHE link into an old mumps based system. In order
to access the old tables I install an ODBC driver and then access the tables
using access or some other DB tool. I can also query them from my
applications.

My question is....Can I connect to the database from my Java applications
without installing the ODBC driver on every machine.

To simplify things I have an access database sitting on a shared network
drive with the link tabls i need.

Thanks

Rhino 12-22-2006 06:52 AM

Re: ODBC Issue

"Bob" <bob.mccormac@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Quick question. I have a CACHE link into an old mumps based system. In
> order
> to access the old tables I install an ODBC driver and then access the
> tables
> using access or some other DB tool. I can also query them from my
> applications.
>
> My question is....Can I connect to the database from my Java applications
> without installing the ODBC driver on every machine.
>
> To simplify things I have an access database sitting on a shared network
> drive with the link tabls i need.

I don't know.

Why don't you try it yourself? That's got to be easier than waiting around
on the chance that someone else has ever tried this before.

--
Rhino

steve 12-22-2006 10:41 AM

Re: ODBC Issue

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 04:21:32 +0800, Bob wrote
(in article <458aecce_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>):

> Hi
>
> Quick question. I have a CACHE link into an old mumps based system. In order
> to access the old tables I install an ODBC driver and then access the tables
> using access or some other DB tool. I can also query them from my
> applications.
>
> My question is....Can I connect to the database from my Java applications
> without installing the ODBC driver on every machine.
>
> To simplify things I have an access database sitting on a shared network
> drive with the link tabls i need.
>
> Thanks

you need a driver in oracle.
such as JDBC, it is usually totally independent of the ODBC.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 12-23-2006 06:37 PM

Re: ODBC Issue

Bob wrote:
> Quick question. I have a CACHE link into an old mumps based system. In order
> to access the old tables I install an ODBC driver and then access the tables
> using access or some other DB tool. I can also query them from my
> applications.
>
> My question is....Can I connect to the database from my Java applications
> without installing the ODBC driver on every machine.
>
> To simplify things I have an access database sitting on a shared network
> drive with the link tabls i need.

The JDBC ODBC bridge will require the ODBC driver to
be installed on every client.

The JDBC ODBC bridge is not a particular good component
either.

It would solve your problem and work much better if you could
find a real JDBC driver for whatever you are connecting to.

Arne