Velocity Reviews

-   -   recommend an advanced java book (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t389566-recommend-an-advanced-java-book.html)

steven acer 12-20-2006 06:09 PM

recommend an advanced java book

hello,
i'm not that new to java because i know all the concepts and all
but i have reached a point where i need to move forward, so i feel i
need a good book -a bit advanced not too much- to progress.
I don't have my mind set on a specific aspect of java , i know java is
a huge world, what i'm looking for is an all in all book , maybe later
i can focus on one topic at a time.
thanks,
Merry Christmas to y'all

RedGrittyBrick 12-20-2006 06:39 PM

Re: recommend an advanced java book

steven acer wrote:
> hello,
> i'm not that new to java because i know all the concepts and all
> but i have reached a point where i need to move forward, so i feel i
> need a good book -a bit advanced not too much- to progress.
> I don't have my mind set on a specific aspect of java , i know java is
> a huge world, what i'm looking for is an all in all book , maybe later
> i can focus on one topic at a time.
> thanks,
> Merry Christmas to y'all

Please don't multipost!

See http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

Greg R. Broderick 12-21-2006 04:03 AM

Re: recommend an advanced java book

"steven acer" <dudesterr@gmail.com> wrote in news:1166638159.287483.60990@
73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com:

> hello,
> i'm not that new to java because i know all the concepts and all
> but i have reached a point where i need to move forward, so i feel i
> need a good book -a bit advanced not too much- to progress.
> I don't have my mind set on a specific aspect of java , i know java is
> a huge world, what i'm looking for is an all in all book , maybe later
> i can focus on one topic at a time.

"Effective Java" by Joshua Bloch (high-intermediate level)

Greg R. Broderick gregb+usenet200612@blackholio.dyndns.org

A. Top posters.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 12-24-2006 05:27 PM

steven acer wrote:
> i'm not that new to java because i know all the concepts and all
> but i have reached a point where i need to move forward, so i feel i
> need a good book -a bit advanced not too much- to progress.
> I don't have my mind set on a specific aspect of java , i know java is
> a huge world, what i'm looking for is an all in all book , maybe later
> i can focus on one topic at a time.

Are you sure that you need a Java book ?

In my experience, when people are capable of writing a
Java program that compiles and solves the problem but
are interested in finding the best solution, then they
do not need a Java book but instead need a book in
general OO A/D/P and patterns.

Arne