Velocity Reviews

-   -   can you program a cell phone very easily ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t389561-can-you-program-a-cell-phone-very-easily.html)

surf 12-20-2006 02:55 PM

can you program a cell phone very easily ?

I have read some papers on micro java. I am mainly interested in
asking this because I have been focused on Ruby on Rails, but might
consider Java if I could find an interesting project to work on. I have
done some Java and alot of C++, but not much J2EE, micro java etc.

The real goal here is to get more job skills for my resume. The problem
might be, maybe a programmable cell phone might cost more for the phone
and or service, not sure, but could you open socket connection to your
PC from a cell phone in micro java ? maybe on the PC you'd have a
program that checks your email and sends the email or does a pattern
search of the email and sends info back through the socket. I'm sure
there might be other ideas as well for what you could do if it was
possible or very easy as the PC could act as a sort of server.

Remon van Vliet 12-20-2006 03:11 PM

Re: can you program a cell phone very easily ?

You can do most things you mention, but there are some practical problems
(such as socket connections not being overly stable while you're on the
move). Also, I suggest doing some actual research on the topic as most of
the things that are possible and/or obvious have been done and implemented
commercially already. If it's just to gain some skills then I think it's a
good area to get involved in.

Remon

news:1166626556.132290.165880@48g2000cwx.googlegro ups.com...

Simon Brooke 12-20-2006 07:32 PM

Re: can you program a cell phone very easily ?

in message <1166626556.132290.165880@48g2000cwx.googlegroups. com>, surf
('surfunbear@yahoo.com') wrote:

> I have read some papers on micro java. I am mainly interested in
> asking this because I have been focused on Ruby on Rails, but might
> consider Java if I could find an interesting project to work on. I have
> done some Java and alot of C++, but not much J2EE, micro java etc.

Building MIDlets is very easy. Many mobile phones accept them. You download
the MIDlet from your website, so the installation is easy. A (free)
emulator makes it easy to test and debug MIDlets on your PC, without
having to download them to a phone first (and this is a good thing,
because debugging on the phone is a bit of a chore).

The security model is pretty restrictive and if you want to get round that
you need a code signing certificate, which is a hassle. The user interface
model is quite limited. Other than that CLDC/MIDlet is a good platform for
building mobile applications.

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.