Velocity Reviews

-   -   Java reporting tool with dynamic columns? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t389531-java-reporting-tool-with-dynamic-columns.html)

Niels Dybdahl 12-19-2006 08:51 AM

Java reporting tool with dynamic columns?

I am looking for a reporting tool for Java that allows me to control
from my Java application which columns should be shown in each table.

I have looked at a some tools (JasperReports, JFreeReport and
ReportMill). They all require a XML-template which defines which
columns should be shown in each table. They do have crosstabs, which
could be abused to let the Java application control the columns, but I
guess that would only work for columns with numbers and not for
strings.

So can you recommend a report package that is not template based ? I
would prefer if it could generate both PDF and Excel, but PDF alone is
also interesting.

Best regards
Niels Dybdahl

Ingo R. Homann 12-19-2006 08:57 AM

Re: Java reporting tool with dynamic columns?

Hi,

what you are describing is exactly (one of) the reason why I do not like
JasperReports - it is not 'dynamic' enough.

I like iText very much (on which JasperReport is based), because you can
*program* a report instead of defining a (always somehow 'statical')
report-template.

Ciao,
Ingo

Niels Dybdahl 12-19-2006 09:26 AM

Re: Java reporting tool with dynamic columns?

> what you are describing is exactly (one of) the reason why I do not like
> JasperReports - it is not 'dynamic' enough.
> I like iText very much (on which JasperReport is based), because you can
> *program* a report instead of defining a (always somehow 'statical')
> report-template.

Thanks Ingo, I have looked at iText and it seems to be what I need for
PDF.

Best regards
Niels

Pacholee 12-20-2006 08:00 AM

Re: Java reporting tool with dynamic columns?

Hi Niels

IntelliVIEW SDK may be what you're looking for, have a look at
http://www.synaptris.com/products/re...sdk/index.html
for more info.

it allows you to control which columns are displayed, moreover it can
export to both Excel and PDF.

Pranav

emorcum@yahoo.co.uk 01-06-2007 10:58 AM

Re: Java reporting tool with dynamic columns?

If you're looking for an enterprise solution, VRS by Vermilion Software
(http://www.vermilionsoftware.com) is a full on web server reporting
solution for end users but with a Java API that allows custom
developers to programmatic control of the data columns and rows on the
output.
Regards
Errol

Richard 01-06-2007 05:32 PM

Re: Java reporting tool with dynamic columns?

iText? http://www.informit.com/articles/pri...?p=420686&rl=1

Richard

Lew 01-06-2007 06:30 PM

Richard wrote:
> iText? http://www.informit.com/articles/pri...?p=420686&rl=1

I was on a Web-app project that used iText <http://www.lowagie.com/iText/> and
it was hugely useful. The programmer who was in charge of that part had never
used iText before, and had what we needed up in about two days. When
management asked for changes in the layout, different headers, footers,
columns or whatever, he adjusted in minutes to an hour of effort each time.

- Lew