Velocity Reviews

-   -   JRE - timezone configuration? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t389430-jre-timezone-configuration.html)

inetquestion 12-14-2006 07:43 PM

JRE - timezone configuration?

I am working with a product which has a bundled JRE and am trying to
come up with an alternate workaround to the problem introduced by the
daylight savings time change. The root of the problem is the vendor
will not be releasing a new bundled version before our go live, so I am
force to roll the current jre out. Now on to my real question.

It seems the JRE is pulling the timezone offset from the underlying OS
and is internally managing when timezone changes are set to occur. Is
this something I have access to change manually until the vendor
releases a new version with the fixed JRE bundled in? Installing my
own copy of the JRE is not an option due to licensing &
support....Argh!

Regards,

-Inet

Eric Sosman 12-15-2006 01:53 PM

Re: JRE - timezone configuration?

inetquestion wrote:
> I am working with a product which has a bundled JRE and am trying to
> come up with an alternate workaround to the problem introduced by the
> daylight savings time change. The root of the problem is the vendor
> will not be releasing a new bundled version before our go live, so I am
> force to roll the current jre out. Now on to my real question.
>
> It seems the JRE is pulling the timezone offset from the underlying OS
> and is internally managing when timezone changes are set to occur. Is
> this something I have access to change manually until the vendor
> releases a new version with the fixed JRE bundled in? Installing my
> own copy of the JRE is not an option due to licensing &
> support....Argh!

I think I may know the vendor of the product, or at any
rate a vendor of similar foot-dragging proclivities ...

It might (only "might") help to know precisely what JRE
version(s) are involved.

--
Eric Sosman
esosman@acm-dot-org.invalid

lordy 12-15-2006 05:41 PM

On 2006-12-14, inetquestion <inetquestion@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am working with a product which has a bundled JRE and am trying to
> come up with an alternate workaround to the problem introduced by the
> daylight savings time change. The root of the problem is the vendor
> will not be releasing a new bundled version before our go live, so I am
> force to roll the current jre out. Now on to my real question.
>
> It seems the JRE is pulling the timezone offset from the underlying OS
> and is internally managing when timezone changes are set to occur.

More information required.

Java Version.
OS Version

as a bare minimum.
eg on Unix/Linux simple setting TZ variable in the applications init
scripts **might** solve your problems.

However from an un-cooperative vendor perspective - you might still be
on iffy ground - support wise.

Lordy

John O'Conner 12-21-2006 06:37 AM

inetquestion wrote:

> It seems the JRE is pulling the timezone offset from the underlying OS
> and is internally managing when timezone changes are set to occur. Is
> this something I have access to change manually until the vendor
> releases a new version with the fixed JRE bundled in? Installing my
> own copy of the JRE is not an option due to licensing &
> support....Argh!

See the tzupdater tool that updates existing JREs with new time zone data:

http://java.sun.com/javase/tzupdater_README.html
http://java.sun.com/developer/techni...es/Intl/USDST/

Regards,
John O'Conner