Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cisco (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f27-cisco.html)
-   -   Cisco 831 Configuration Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t38935-cisco-831-configuration-question.html)

trichter_cdg 04-27-2005 03:02 AM

Cisco 831 Configuration Question
 
Hello,

I am trying to configure a Cisco Router 831 so that each port on the 4
port switch cannot see the other three ports, but rather, can only go
out to the Internet. Is this possible with this Cisco model? I was
hoping that I could create an access-list for each port on the 4 port
switch, but it appears that access lists cannot be applied to the
FastEthernet ports on the 4 port switch built into the router. Any
suggestions? Thank you.

Tim


Walter Roberson 04-27-2005 03:18 AM

Re: Cisco 831 Configuration Question
 
In article <1114570924.868112.144670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
trichter_cdg <trichter_cdg@yahoo.com> wrote:
:I am trying to configure a Cisco Router 831 so that each port on the 4
:port switch cannot see the other three ports, but rather, can only go
:out to the Internet. Is this possible with this Cisco model?

My recollection, possibly faulty, is that the best you can do
is use one of the ports as a DMZ, and that requires fairly recent
software.
--
Would you buy a used bit from this man??

Phillip Remaker 04-27-2005 08:28 AM

Re: Cisco 831 Configuration Question
 
The 83x has a simple, passive switch. The only options are setting/locking
speed and/or duplex. No fancy filtering possible by port.



trichter_cdg 04-27-2005 01:23 PM

Re: Cisco 831 Configuration Question
 
Well that is not good news. This router is being used in a 4 unit
apartment. I wanted to separate the 4 apartments from seeing each
other. Any recommendations on how to adapt my setup to keep the
apartments from seeing each other? Seems likle I might have to buy
additional hardware. I could get four cheap D-Link routers and put
those between the Cisco router and the 4 individual units.

Thanks for any advice you may have,

Tim


Walter Roberson 04-27-2005 03:29 PM

Re: Cisco 831 Configuration Question
 
In article <U2Ibe.1888$zu.706@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
Phillip Remaker <rekamerpillihp-usenet1@yahoo.com> wrote:
:The 83x has a simple, passive switch. The only options are setting/locking
:speed and/or duplex. No fancy filtering possible by port.

Hey, one of the rare occasions when I knew something that Phillip
didn't ;-)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...00/rn800xr.htm

Table 2 Feature Set Table for the Cisco 831 Router

Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) Port 12.3(7)XR1 IP FW/3DES IP PLUS FW/3DES


http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08010e5c5.html

One of the switch ports could be convertsed [sic] in to a DMZ port to
place publicly accessible servers or to segregate users on the LAN
--
History is a pile of debris -- Laurie Anderson

vtan 04-28-2005 01:44 AM

Re: Cisco 831 Configuration Question
 
Get another switch that supports vlan tagging, and make 4 vlans.
Link between the switch to the 831 using vlan trunking.

"trichter_cdg" <trichter_cdg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114608234.844769.305150@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> Well that is not good news. This router is being used in a 4 unit
> apartment. I wanted to separate the 4 apartments from seeing each
> other. Any recommendations on how to adapt my setup to keep the
> apartments from seeing each other? Seems likle I might have to buy
> additional hardware. I could get four cheap D-Link routers and put
> those between the Cisco router and the 4 individual units.
>
> Thanks for any advice you may have,
>
> Tim
>




Walter Roberson 04-28-2005 03:00 AM

Re: Cisco 831 Configuration Question
 
In article <d4pekm$5i5$1@avnika.corp.mot.com>,
vtan <spamguarda18027@email.mot.com> wrote:
:Get another switch that supports vlan tagging, and make 4 vlans.
:Link between the switch to the 831 using vlan trunking.

Nice idea, but the 800 series doesn't support vlan trunking.
--
"[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave Smey


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.