Velocity Reviews

-   -   need a new Java Editor, netbeans isnt cutting it. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t388613-need-a-new-java-editor-netbeans-isnt-cutting-it.html)

Justin 11-15-2006 12:09 AM

need a new Java Editor, netbeans isnt cutting it.

I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
editors to hack code?

Thanks

Furious George 11-15-2006 12:12 AM

Re: need a new Java Editor, netbeans isnt cutting it.

Justin wrote:
> I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
> on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
> Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
> laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
> twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
> editors to hack code?
>
> Thanks

emacs is very stable.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 11-15-2006 12:21 AM

Justin wrote:
> I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
> on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
> Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
> laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
> twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
> editors to hack code?

Have you tried Eclipse ?

Arne

tiewknvc9 11-15-2006 04:09 AM

Re: need a new Java Editor, netbeans isnt cutting it.

download ECLIPSE! Once set up, it does really kick ass.

Knute Johnson 11-15-2006 05:53 AM

Justin wrote:
> I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
> on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
> Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
> laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
> twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
> editors to hack code?
>
> Thanks

I like Vim.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

David Segall 11-15-2006 06:17 AM

"Justin" <justin.lottes@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
>on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
>Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
>laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
>twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
>editors to hack code?

Which version of NetBeans are you using?

Lionel 11-15-2006 06:27 AM

David Segall wrote:
> "Justin" <justin.lottes@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have two laptops, both have intel centrino duo processors, both run
>> on XP Media Center edition, one a 1gig ram, the other 2gigs.
>> Currently, I use Netbeans to write code. Today, I was using the faster
>> laptop, I've been coding for about 6 hours, and NetBeans has crashed
>> twice. To me, that's unnacceptable. What are recommendations for
>> editors to hack code?

> Which version of NetBeans are you using?

This is a good question. Netbeans has /never/ crashed on me! I've been
using it since 3.x.

The problem may be elsewhere or you may be using a beta version.

Lionel.

kylevasatka@gmail.com 11-15-2006 06:35 AM

Re: need a new Java Editor, netbeans isnt cutting it.

I second the vote for Eclipse. The interface is great and so is the
support for it. It also helps you out a lot when it comes to error
messages, warnings, etc. The "Quick Fix" option is handy for
debugging. Also, there are a lot of add-ons for Eclipse that makes
coding and documentation a lot easier. USE ECLIPSE, YOU WILL LIKE IT!

kylevasatka@gmail.com 11-15-2006 07:07 AM

Re: need a new Java Editor, netbeans isnt cutting it.

Aside from setting up where you want your workspace to be (where to
save to) and what directories to create projects in, there's no setup
required. It's very easy to use...it's fast...and it rarely gives me
trouble.

C Student 11-15-2006 07:14 AM