Velocity Reviews

-   -   HTML front-end, Servlet/JSP/Struts/JSF? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t388550-html-front-end-servlet-jsp-struts-jsf.html)

jmjatlanta 11-12-2006 06:44 PM

HTML front-end, Servlet/JSP/Struts/JSF?

The Prodigal Son returns...

I have an older app I originally wrote using servlets. I wrote it
somewhat JSP-like, as it was before JSP was even available. But that's
not really my question...

I'm in total rewrite mode, so I'm not concerned about the state of the
front-end code now. The back-end code is J2EE. I hear now you call them
"Java EE."

As you can see, I've been out of Java land for a while, and long for
writing some industrial-strength code. I've been stuck in Microsoftland
too long. These little C# apps are driving me crazy.

So my real question is... What technology to use on the front-end? It
looks from my perspective that struts is now a has-been technology. I
remember when Java Server Faces was laughed at, but it seems I see more
people talking about it now.

If you were to rewrite an enterprise application that talked to a Java
EE backend, what technologies would you use?

Here's a bit more information: This is a somewhat "static" front-end.
While the user interface must be easy to navigate, it is very
minimalistic on Javascript, images, etc. Worker bees use this interface
for data entry. Anything flashy they complain about. In fact, any
change in the UI they complain about. While I'm not afraid of making it
more user friendly, code maintainability is more important than making
it "pretty."

Mich 11-12-2006 08:34 PM

Re: HTML front-end, Servlet/JSP/Struts/JSF?

I like simple HTML and CSS with JSP; it's simple and allows to create a
front-end that is browser friendly and not to hard to maintain. The problem
with going with these newer technologies is that they all bring in new
problems. After a few years most become a technology dead-end that is a mess
when you decide to change to the newest trendy solution.

jmjatlanta 11-13-2006 12:37 PM

Mich wrote:
> I like simple HTML and CSS with JSP; it's simple and allows to create a
> front-end that is browser friendly and not to hard to maintain. The problem
> with going with these newer technologies is that they all bring in new
> problems. After a few years most become a technology dead-end that is a mess
> when you decide to change to the newest trendy solution.

Thank you for responding. I can definately see your point.

Mich 11-13-2006 08:21 PM

"jmjatlanta" <jmjatlanta@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1163421469.022324.282710@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
> Mich wrote:
>> I like simple HTML and CSS with JSP; it's simple and allows to create a
>> front-end that is browser friendly and not to hard to maintain. The
>> problem
>> with going with these newer technologies is that they all bring in new
>> problems. After a few years most become a technology dead-end that is a
>> mess
>> when you decide to change to the newest trendy solution.

> Thank you for responding. I can definately see your point.

From my experience, when I am presented with a new technology I always
remember that while it's true that there is solution to every problem, in IT
there is also a problem to every solution.